GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what everyone used, if anything, to get rid of those pesky odors from the the inside of their helmet. Mine is in need of some pressure washing. I have heard of some mentioning putting it in the dishwasher, but then I would need to remove headset. I have a bad habit of leaving helmet on seat when it rains and I am out and about on it. Doing this helps to keep the seat dry for when you just want to jump on it and go. Maybe I need to hang one of them air fresheners on it. HA HA.

So what do you use? I have tried some febreze on it, but it doesn't last for more than a day.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
All the liners in the better helmets are removable. Take that out, put that in the dishwasher or just buy a new one.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Leave the helmet in the sun for a couple of days. Let the sun shine on the interior. If that doesn't do it, spray the interior with Lysol, then leave it in the sun. Works every time.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Info for the future: I use a helmet liner on my head to keep the inside of the helmet clean. Also helps with head itch.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I just put the liner pieces of my HJC in a mesh bag and wash in the washing machine with a light load of clothes. Take it out of the washer and let it air dry in the garage. These days it takes about an hour to dry. Works great.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
All the liners in the better helmets are removable. Take that out, put that in the dishwasher or just buy a new one.

This would be my suggestion also.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
It depends on how old it is. Up until about 5 years ago, many Arai's, (as well as many other helmets), only had removable cheek pads. The top padding was glued to the styrofoam. Many of the top helmets were like this because the plastic snaps needed to hold it in place were seen as a potential pressure point. It wasn't until a lot of testing was done that the liners were made removable.

My old Arai SC Z/m lasted me 7 good years. Even if I could replace the liner, the leather strap is so worn that is would be a waste of money.

I think what he does should be dictated by what the condition of the rest of the helmet is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts