GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I simply cannot get all the bug guts off the front of my bike. The only thing that is working (short of sandpaper!) is to use my fingernail but I'm concerned that I'm going to scratch the paint that way too.

It looks pretty bad. I've used the Honda polish, automotive washing liquid soaps, terry towel type washcloths, microfiber washcloths, all to no avail. Help please.

Thanks,
David M.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Hey David, try soaking a towel with hot water and putting over the front of bike and let it sit for 20 minutes or so, softens the critters right up. For really stubborn ones try diluted hydrogen peroxide.

If all that fails, get some detailing clay from a local auto parts store and use it per the instructions.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Same materials but they come clean! :)

David M.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Had same problem. Used Clay Block. It will cause swirls. Did with me. Finally got the bugs off, or most you could see just eyeballing it. Now I use Rejex.

http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html

Bugs now just wipe off like dust.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have some Rejex that I experimented with about a year ago. Didn't seem to do anything back then, but I'll try again. Maybe I did something wrong.

Thanks,
David M.

·
Registered
661 Posts
David,
I used it front to back. Now I just spray a little water on the bug covered front after a trip, let it set a minute and wipe off. Take a damp rag to the dirty sides and rear, wipe, and it shines like a new dollar.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The last time my wing was covered with bugs, I applied baby wipes on the worst splats and left them on for 15 minutes. The spots softened and came right off. The key was to let the splats soak and absorb some moisture.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Plexus! Before and after. That's all i've tried so far, works for me.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Redstreak had a good idea, its called Clay Bar and it's made by Meguires. Another idea, 3M makes a great product called Adhesive, Wax, & tar remover. Works for all kinds of problems. You do need to wax the area after using it.

G

·
David M. said:
I have some Rejex that I experimented with about a year ago. Didn't seem to do anything back then, but I'll try again. Maybe I did something wrong.

Thanks,
David M.
David:

Rejex works. You did something wrong..like maybe not getting old wax off before applying it, and did you let it cure properly out of the weather for at least 12 hours?

Ride safe.

·
Registered
661 Posts
IBTrike said:
David M. said:

Thanks,
David M.
David:

Rejex works. You did something wrong..like maybe not getting old wax off before applying it, and did you let it cure properly out of the weather for at least 12 hours?

Ride safe.
IBTrike,
I didn't take the old wax off. Still work great. Just have to re-apply more often until old wax is gone. Stuff makes it feel like greased glass.

·
Registered
15 Posts
cleaning

Ok, I know this is crazy but my bike cleans like a charm with lemon pledge. The oil seems to take the bugs off right now and it wipes slick. I usually don't use a clean cloth afterwards but you could. I read this on the vtx board and it just works. Please don't go just on my word. You got to know my bike is yellow so the lemon must be right at home. IC

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I also use a wet towel draped over the windshield and fairing and I spray hydrogen peroxide on the places that are tougher to access. Another possible solution I've heard of is using a steamer but I've never tried it myself.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good one, Tangleyes!

David M.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
You might try a very small dab of dishwashing detergent on the stubborn spots, rub it in just a little, let it sit for a while (I am guessing to say 20 - 30 min), and then wipe with a wet cloth (wipe a couple of times to make sure you are getting all the soap off), then wipe dry. You may want to rewax the affected area (the entire front).

While I have not needed to try this on my bikes, it works on many other things including my windshield and vehicles.

Hope it works for you. :)

Todd

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.