GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Just a quick question....
I remember from my '03 'wing that the wheels are not clear coated. I now have an '07 which I think is the same way. So, how do you clean them? I don't want to use something which will stain or corrode the wheels, but they are a pain to clean and something simple would sure help. Then, do you coat them with wax? I was thinking along the lines of insulator wax from Honda Directline.
Thanks for the help and see you at the WingDing.... Jeff :D

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Doing a search on this subject will bring lots of responses.

I'm on my second GL1800 and simply don't understand why the rims look so bad (IMHO) right from the factory.

With that said, I cleaned mine the first time with just soapy water, dried, and then used Honda Metal Polish until I obtained the desired shine.

After that, I've cleaned the rims using Simple Green Aircraft, rinsed well, and then dried them. Maybe twice a year I re-apply the metal polish and follow with a little wax. Note: I do wash and dry the bike, including rims front and rear, about once a month.

Personally, I prefer the clean look of polished aluminum rims and don't mind spending the time to keep them that way...

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
"Mothers"....Billet Alum. polish.......Use a rag or a buffing wheel with a drill motor. Those puppies will shine I'm tellin ya......... :)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
after the pain in the a$$ of cleaning them, I used a product called rejex on them and the brake dust just rinses away infact Rejex works great on the winshied and painted surfaces. bugs just rinse right off and the shine is amazing.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
gmk1800 said:
...I used a product called rejex on them and the brake dust just rinses away...
Sorry for hijacking this thread...

but does this product cause static build-up when removed? Some products cause such cling that all kinds of particles seem attracted to every surface.

Just curious about your experience with this stuff.

TIA!

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
CHROME works really well for making the wheels easy to clean! (Or powder coating).

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I clean my wheels often on my 05 GL1800.... usually after a ride I wipe the rims down to remove any brake dust (which is corrosive)... about once a month I use Bom to shine up my wheels...(takes about 10 minutes per wheel) my 02 GL1800 I did the same thing.. when I sold it at 51K miles 3-1/2 years later... the rims still shined.. no pitting or discoloration...

cosmic

I

·
0 Posts
Mothers All Wheel Ceaner. Spray on..hose off. Takes off everything except grease blobs or tar. Brake dust and road grime are gone.

For routine cleaning, it works for me.

Ride safe. Merry Christmas.

W

·
0 Posts
I have a '03 and use good car wax once a year, then every two weeks during the riding season I wash with car washing soap and dry.......both rims look like new yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rims

bama,

When I talked with Honda America while teaching a class at Marysville, he said they quit clear coating 'wing rims several years ago as they did not hold up. I was also told specifically they didn't clear coat the rims on my '07 'wing. How did you get lucky and get your rims clear coated? Thanks, jeff

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Re: Rims

apopj said:
bama,

When I talked with Honda America while teaching a class at Marysville, he said they quit clear coating 'wing rims several years ago as they did not hold up. I was also told specifically they didn't clear coat the rims on my '07 'wing. How did you get lucky and get your rims clear coated? Thanks, jeff
That should Read ( Another Cost cuttuing move)

·
Registered
148 Posts
use bombs away. then put zoop seal on them. my 2002 wing and vtx still look new. i do them when i change tires.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Re: Rims

apopj said:
bama,

apopj, I take it that you are commenting on my previous post and not that of bamajack. I can't explain why my wheels are clear coated, but I will endeavour to find out. My bike was the dealer's demo bike and had 2½ thou on the clock. I will make some enquiries and let you know. I enjoy a bit of detective work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts