GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was the name and contact info for the clearcoat stuff that Fred H. and others on this board used to coat their wheels?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks, I was trying to remember as well.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Preparation before Clear Coat

I would like to clear coat my rims as well. However, I have used several Aluminum polishes to remove the oxidation: Mothers, Meguiars & Blue Magic. The rims look good except for a few spots. They appear to be very small spots like it is pitted. Except, I can't feel them when I slide my finger across the area. They are just visual.

Has anybody had the this issue and what did you do to resolve / removes these so called "pitted areas". Is there a more agressive polish or better application material as I have just used terry cloth? Please let me know. Thanks

·
Vendor
22,239 Posts
Everbrite's ProtectAClear is the cats meow for the raw aluminum wheels. I took my 2009 in to trade it today, and wanted to clean it up real good before I did. The dirt on the wheels wiped off with a wet sponge, and they looked brand new when I rode it in to the dealer. I forget when I originally applied it, but I think it was almost 2 years ago now.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Fred and others, I have a new 2012, and I have my name in for a 12 clear coated tmps rear rim from a trike conversion. But I added the tmps to my older front wheel, and now want to clear it, so that they both are clear coated no matter which set of wheels is on the bike.

·
Registered
21,099 Posts
I would like to clear coat my rims as well. However, I have used several Aluminum polishes to remove the oxidation: Mothers, Meguiars & Blue Magic. The rims look good except for a few spots. They appear to be very small spots like it is pitted. Except, I can't feel them when I slide my finger across the area. They are just visual.

Has anybody had the this issue and what did you do to resolve / removes these so called "pitted areas". Is there a more agressive polish or better application material as I have just used terry cloth? Please let me know. Thanks
i have pretty good results with 1000 grit wet-dry sandpapaer, of coarse only use use it wet

·
Registered
20,009 Posts

It depends on how pitted they are, but you are probably not going to get rid of the pitting without roughing up the surface a bit first.

I used to wet sand wheels with progressively higher grit paper, until I got to 1000. But one day I was experimenting with the Scotchbrite pads you get at Sears paint department, and it was amazingly easy, and it doesn't scratch as bad as sandpaper.

The pads come in different grades, labeled like steel wool. I use the 000 grade, and have found that you can go directly to polish. If they are badly pitted, start with a heavier grade.

·
Registered
224 Posts
It depends on how pitted they are, but you are probably not going to get rid of the pitting without roughing up the surface a bit first.

I used to wet sand wheels with progressively higher grit paper, until I got to 1000. But one day I was experimenting with the Scotchbrite pads you get at Sears paint department, and it was amazingly easy, and it doesn't scratch as bad as sandpaper.

The pads come in different grades, labeled like steel wool. I use the 000 grade, and have found that you can go directly to polish. If they are badly pitted, start with a heavier grade.
Thanks!!! I will give the Scotchbrite pads a try.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Not sure Wheels wants to be clearcoated. Better check with his wife :yes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts