GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read an article on these lights in the Spring IBA magazine.
Anyone have any mounted on a 2012 GL1800? Where and how do you control them?
Pro's-Con's on using these? Expensive, yes but They seem GOOD.
WOW maybe I should use the search option here. Oh well. What are your feelings

·
Registered
496 Posts
Holy crap, did you see the price on these lights, 925.00 for a set.

·
Love The DCT
11,778 Posts
Check with Walrus over on the Wisconsin board. I believe he put a pair of Erica's on his wing. :doorag:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$722.00 was the price I found. What are some of the other light s running????
Wisconsin board?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Check out Vision X Optimus lights, I've installed a few sets for friends and they really like them.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've been wanting the Glenda's for years. Just haven't quite pulled the trigger (but I've fondled it). Almost all of my riding is in rural areas but even at 5 am when I'm going to work there are too many oncoming vehicles to use them much. If I were taking the kind of LD trips that I fantasize about, then I'd have a set.

·
Registered
532 Posts
lights

ADVMONSTER friend has 3 bulb ones mounted on bottom of forks work great

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
You could try lights from Justin at http://ledrider.com/ I have some of these as well as http://www.rigidindustries.com/ lights. Bought are great outfits to deal with. And way less expensive.. YMMV
I've had the rigid duallys for 3 years and no issues. Just got some lights from ledrider that I am using on my ST.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have Darlas mounted on my BMW S1000rr and there is nothing on the market which compares in quality or light output. The Erica's or Krista's are another level up in size and brightness. The owner Glenn Statsky will personally take care of any issues. I mounted mine on my sportbike just for conspicuity issues, especially after being hit by a car in December. The Clearwater lights are of the highest quality and are meant to be on all the time. The intensity is adjustable while in low beam and automatically switch to the brightest setting when on high beams or when the horn is activated. This product is expensive but highly recommended due to build quality, customer service, light output and customer service.

·
Registered
709 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Clearwater Lights

I have Clearwater Krista on my Super Tenere and Erica on the Goldwing.

Clearwater makes a good product but they are expensive. They are American made in CA.

I have had some trouble with my Kristas but Clearwater has stood behind the product with replacements and upgrades. They have also upgraded the design on all units based on some of my issues. Since I have gotten the install sorted they have been trouble free.

The Ericas have been trouble free so far.

The Krista and Erica share the same form factor and controller/switchgear. The newer Ericas pack over 6000 lumens each and draw 5 amps each.

Installation is straight forward but you may have to order extension cables for the pot and the lights depending on the proximity of the controller to the lights/pot (they will send these for free).

There are other LED lights out there (Rigid, Baja Designs, etc.) but I think the build quality of the Clearwater are very good. During use they can turn night into day. With the dimmer set to full low I run them all the time. The full bright condition can only be used with no oncoming traffic.

They come with a lighted on/off switch, a dimming potentiometer, and an interface which allows full high with high beam, full high with horn, and a turn on lead for your switched hot.

The GL1800 brackets are PIAA products and they can be a challenge to install as you are trying to thread the screws through the mirror and bracket at the same time. The brackets did make slight contact with the fairing on my bike but I don't intend to ever remove them as long as I own the bike. You can install the lights under the bracket to accommodate mirror wings if you have them.

I would buy again (and did) but you have to have a real need for this level of aux lighting to be able to justify the expense. I run some LD rallies and running through the night is mandatory. Also on the Tenere I have done some off road work at night (not by plan) and I don't see how you could do it with stock headlights.

ETA: One interesting side effect of the lights in dimmed mode is they will set off the V1 laser alert if you are up against a car in traffic. Dimming LED's is actually done by turning them on/of several thousand times a second which our eyes perceive as "dimming". I have not experienced any falsing of the V1 in highway conditions due to the LED lights.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts