GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had Clearwater LED lamps on several bikes and they are really great.

Clearwater makes some under mirror Ericas (large LED lamps) for the 2018+ Goldwing.

Wondering if anyone has installed these on their GW? And, if so what is your experience with visibility, wind noise, appearance, washing out the turn signals, etc.

Thanks.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Yet, plus Darla’s. Although I have a but! Due to the fact these lights are OFF-ROAD light, don’t wire them so they are always on! I had an a**hole running them on at night(even though they were turned down) they still blinded me on a moonless night, dark, line less, twisty part of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I couldn’t see a darn think. Set up your lights to come on only with your hi-beam headlights.

Oh, their under mirror mount for the Goldwing is great!

Lights only with HI-BEAMS! Be kind to them. Don’t blind the other fellow.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yet, plus Darla’s. Although I have a but! Due to the fact these lights are OFF-ROAD light, don’t wire them so they are always on! I had an a**hole running them on at night(even though they were turned down) they still blinded me on a moonless night, dark, line less, twisty part of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I couldn’t see a darn think. Set up your lights to come on only with your hi-beam headlights.

Clearwater Darlas come with a rheostat and are dimmable. They were designed to be run with low beams for increased conspicuity.

Many of my BMW-owning friends (and I with my '14 R1200RT) ran Darlas wired to be on with low beams. On BMWs with Canbus, the Darlas are adjustable from "Off" to 100-percent power in 10-percent increments theough BMW's Wonder Wheel.

Whoever blinded you was an inconsiderate idiot, but the Darlas were intended to be run with low beam.

Tim

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can 't do it if you're using the Honda wings . . .
Yes, I know that. I don't have the mirror wings, but was considering them since I have them on my F6B. But, the new Wing is somewhat cooler to the torso than the older version. But, wished the Darla's could be mounted somewhere else.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I no longer ride at night. Never did anyway unless necessary. Never felt safe with the critters, road debris, and cagers at night.

I had a R1200GS that I had the Darla's on .... ran the amber lens covers and about 70%. I'm running them for visibility during the daytime. Mo lights, mo better IMO.

And, I agree the butt head running full power at night is an idiot.

Reactions: saafrican

·
Registered
612 Posts
Clearwater Darlas come with a rheostat and are dimmable. They were designed to be run with low beams for increased conspicuity.

Many of my BMW-owning friends (and I with my '14 R1200RT) ran Darlas wired to be on with low beams. On BMWs with Canbus, the Darlas are adjustable from "Off" to 100-percent power in 10-percent increments theough BMW's Wonder Wheel.

Whoever blinded you was an inconsiderate idiot, but the Darlas were intended to be run with low beam.

Tim
10% is all it takes! Turn them OFF! Be Considerate for the other person.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never the less .... back to the original question: Anyone have these under mirror Clearwater LED Darla's on thier bike? And, yada, yada ...

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Check with Clearwater they were working on a mount a while ago as well as an interface. I don’t know what has become of there work.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Never the less .... back to the original question: Anyone have these under mirror Clearwater LED Darla's on thier bike? And, yada, yada ...
As I said in my first response, Yes, I have the Erica and Darla lights on my bike. Also as I said my lights only come on if I have hi-dream lights on for the safety of not blinding them as from personal experience. Lights work great but they blind oncoming drivers even on their lowest setting at night. Be nice, only let them work with Hi-beam lights. Don’t be like the BMW motorcycle drivers!

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts