GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went there with the credit cards ready and from an accessory standpoint it was pretty dissapointing. Hal wasn't there. Tulsa, Pitbull, Air Rider, virtually no vendors. (except for the vendors selling Harley leather and tatoo artists! :cry: Cycle Gadgets was there but they were so swamped it was impossible to get near the booth.

There were some highlights.

I am sold on the new FJR1300. What an awesome bike. One dealer had an 06 semi-automatic there for $9900. I sat on one and thought someone had broken off the clutch lever until a salesman approached and explained it didn't have one. You can still foot shift or use the handlebar levers to shift. This is the first I have heard of it. Cool. The salesman when out of his way to show me what Yamaha did to correct the heat problem. Apparently Yamaha is making a big deal to get the word out because I got the same treatment at the Yamaha factory display.

The Victory isn't as fugly as it looks in the website photos. I still don't care for it all that much but I can appreciate their vision which is something that Harley doesn't have. The bike got a lot of attention. Victory is going to be chomping at Harleys heels if they keep it up. I saw a lot of spectators wearing Victory leathers. How about at least a V4 touring bike guys.

You gotta check out the new Gerbings G3 gloves. They are like wearing a midweight summer glove. Anybody want to buy a pair of very warm standard Gerbings gloves cheap?

Best new product!!!!! Cycleline has a new bike blow dryer (at least I have never seen it) called Cycle Dry. This thing is about 2.5 lbs and looks like a mini leaf blower. It is so powerful it could dry up the slobber on a Bull Masiff's snout! This thing folded the skin over on the back of my hand. This is the only thing I purchased at the show. At $35 it was worth a try.

I got to see the Stallion up close. It is a lot bigger than it looks in pictures. That front fairing is huge. I would love to get behind the wheel of that thing. Unlike the pictures on the website, it looks more like a finished product now.

Overall it was dissapointing because I had a lot of stuff to buy and came out mostly empty handed because of the lack of vendors, but there was some cool stuff mixed in with the endless rows of boring cruisers.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Would you happen to have a website to the blow dryer? Also what is a Stallion? Thanks Ty 8)

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://www.cycleline.com

Motor Trike, the company that does Goldwing trike conversions, has built their own trike from the bottom up. It has a 165HP ??? Ford 4 cycinder engine and a steering wheel. Pretty radical looking. Check out Motor Trike's website. I don't know the URL. You will have to Google it. I think they go under a subsidiary name called Thoroughbred Motorsports.

·
Registered
136 Posts
For the most part I would agree with the sentiments expressed earlier. I found the show to be adequate, but not much more than that. The folks at the Christian Motorcyclist's Association booth were friendly as were the majority of the show patrons simply walking the aisles. I too would have preferred to have some real life vendors offering more than Battery Tender Plus, and some off sized Arai helmets.

I was surprised that I only laid eyes on one motorcycle, a BMW parked outside. With fairly clear weather, and a day in the mid 30's I had presumed that a few more die hards might pull up on bikes. (I must fess up and admit that I was there with a Honda........Accord, that is.) Oh well, there's always next year.

Metric4me

G

·
I'm seriously considering driving down to the Chicago show coming up in a couple weeks. Looking at trying on a variety of motorcycle specific boots. Will I find that boot variety I'm hoping for or is that also a waste of time?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I was there today and didn't see any boots. I could have missed them though. $8.00 to park, $12.00 each to get in. I wasn't impressed with the vendor selection either. Very crowded. Hard to get close to some bikes. Information was almost nonexistant.

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fatfenders said:
I'm seriously considering driving down to the Chicago show coming up in a couple weeks. Looking at trying on a variety of motorcycle specific boots. Will I find that boot variety I'm hoping for or is that also a waste of time?
I don't know if the Cleveland show is an indication of what will be at other shows, but we have generally always had a fairly good one in years past. Many vendors showed on their website that they would be there and they were no-shows.

As far as boots, Cruiserworks was not there for the first time in awhile. I saw maybe 5 vendors with boots, mostly the Harley vendors. One exception was Roadgear. I tried their boots on and liked them. $140 show price. Normally $200 with shipping.

If you are going to look at bikes, you will like the show. The manufacturers and dealers all had huge displays. There were also Toyota truck displays everywhere with many of their prototypes and concept vehicles. (they are a major sponsor this year)

If you are looking for trikes or trailers, you can also forget it. There was one manufacturer that sells the car look-a-like trailers, and Aspen was there, but no Bushtec, Hannigan, or anything else, except for a couple of dealers that brought maybe one trike each. I think I saw 3 trikes in the entire show.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Cycle dryer

White Gold said:
Would you happen to have a website to the blow dryer? Also what is a Stallion? Thanks Ty 8)
I bought 2 of these last year for myself and my son and I can say they work great. It will blow like nothing I have seen before for something so small. It has a switch lock so you can dry your bike or car for that matter without wearing out your hands holding the trigger. Mine came with a bag to store it in and also a spare set of brushes if you were them out.
I ordered ours from JC Whitney for 29.00 each, plus they sent a bottle of Pig Snot bike wax. Hope this helps I really like mine alot, it sure speeds up the washing and drying time and no water spots.

GWLee

·
Registered
16 Posts
I went there with the credit cards ready and from an accessory standpoint it was pretty dissapointing.
Agreed. I was prepared to order a Corbin for my Wing at the "show special" 10% off but Corbin wasn't there. Or at least I couldn't find them. I did pick up some non-scratching, tire changing levers and a jacket from Motosport for my son.
The bike I fell for is BMW's R1200R. Nice riding position. It feels so light but has 109 hp. Notice the low muffler allowing optional full size luggage. It can be ordered with any of three seat heights. This one sports the low one. I'd go for the tall or maybe medium one. There is a larger windshield available and two bolts remove the entire assembly. I think the GW would like some company. Gotta start saving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts