GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about a week ago I started to get this click coming from the front wheel. You can only hear it at low speed. Going forward is clicking at a constant......going backward click about 2/3 less. Anyway, so today I pulled the front fender off and jacked the front wheel off the ground. I thought maybe something was stuck between the fender and the tire......no such luck. And while the tire doesn't have weight on it, no clicking noises. I went ahead and changed the front brake pads while I had everything apart, put the bike on the ground, and it goes back to clicking while rolling it out of the garage. Does anyone know what this might be? Could it be a bearing going bad on the front axel?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Only thing left, weight on the wheel, one of the bearings is flat spotted.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.......I thought the bearings were about the only thing left. Guess its back to the stealership for bearings.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
If the shaft nut and pinch bolts are torqued and the distance collar isn't rolling around, IMO it would almost have to be a bearing issue. Assuming you ruled out the brakes and rotors.

·
IronMan
17,452 Posts
take the credit card off the spokes

·
Registered
36 Posts
A friend had the same problem, we found the axle bolt on the right side just finger tight, when the front wheel was off the ground and the tire rotated you could see the right fork move a little every time you heard a click.

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
One other possibliity. Noises heard as being from the from on this bike while in the rider's seat are often acoming from underneath or from the rear of the bike. The inner surface of the wind screen is an excellent acoustic reflector. The axle nut and wheel bearings are easy to check and if they are tight and smooth respectively, look at the drive shft boot and spin the rear wheel as you listen and also inspect the rear tire (front tire too for that matter) for a nail or such that is clicking as you ride.

prs

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
kinda sounds like one of the brake pads might not be properly hooked into the top retainer

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 12 of 12 Posts