GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought the 2006 Wings were supposed to have a much better cooling system. Went to Mt. Washington NH, temp at base was 72f and at peak down to 52f.....not really hot so why did my 06 red line on the coolant? Of course everything went wrong, got behind a REAL slow poke and had to climb in first gear at 5-10 mph. Windy, must have been a tailwind blowing against my fans. I saw the coolant temp touch the red line, pulled over into the wind and let the engine run at idle and cooled back down quick. Wondering if I did any damage to the engine. Anybody ever had this happen?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
824 Posts
it is probably fine... I have had that happen when in traffic.... either get around them or pull off and take a stretch and give them time to climb the mt....

Melissa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Altitude about 6000 msl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
ElBando said:
I thought the 2006 Wings were supposed to have a much better cooling system. Went to Mt. Washington NH, temp at base was 72f and at peak down to 52f.....not really hot so why did my 06 red line on the coolant? Of course everything went wrong, got behind a REAL slow poke and had to climb in first gear at 5-10 mph. Windy, must have been a tailwind blowing against my fans. I saw the coolant temp touch the red line, pulled over into the wind and let the engine run at idle and cooled back down quick. Wondering if I did any damage to the engine. Anybody ever had this happen?
Change the oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I feel much better now. It didn't spew coolant. I can remember older car engines I've overheated and didn't hurt anything, but the aluminim engines are supposed to be more critical. What is the red line temp in degrees....anybody know?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MadCow, so you think maybe the oil could have gotten so hot as to break down. I am using AMSOIL 10W40
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
ElBando said:
I feel much better now. It didn't spew coolant. I can remember older car engines I've overheated and didn't hurt anything, but the aluminim engines are supposed to be more critical. What is the red line temp in degrees....anybody know?
Just because it didn't spew coolant doesn't mean you didn't overheat it. yes, at the very least chqange your oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
yellow wolf said:
really mad? so at red line what temp is the coolant then?
As you can tell (or should by now) I am not worried about the coolant :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
El Bando ........ same temps, same mountain......same thing happened to my 02.....I too pulled over and it cooled right off........It didn't spill coolant and it did not snap/crackle/pop like a hot engine.......Supposedly if you run in a higher gear and faster or slower speeds it will not climb to the red line. After it happened I contacted Honda about it and they said to take it to my dealer to have it checked......(I have the extended warranty) The dealer said all was ok and they didn't know why it would overheat.......Honda refused to pay for the work because the dealer could find nothing wrong......Now I basically ignore the heat gauge unless I were to ear hot noises coming from it......So the moral of the story is if you think you did any damage........make sure you completely ruin the engine before you have the dealer check it.... :p :p :p joy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Great Pumpkin said:
El Bando ........ same temps, same mountain......same thing happened to my 02.....I too pulled over and it cooled right off........It didn't spill coolant and it did not snap/crackle/pop like a hot engine.......Supposedly if you run in a higher gear and faster or slower speeds it will not climb to the red line. After it happened I contacted Honda about it and they said to take it to my dealer to have it checked......(I have the extended warranty) The dealer said all was ok and they didn't know why it would overheat.......Honda refused to pay for the work because the dealer could find nothing wrong......Now I basically ignore the heat gauge unless I were to ear hot noises coming from it......So the moral of the story is if you think you did any damage........make sure you completely ruin the engine before you have the dealer check it.... :p :p :p joy
I hear ya :) lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am still curious as to what temperature the red line is. Most cars run at 180-195 and blow off at 240.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
826 Posts
Next time, shift to 3rd and watch the needle fall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Could never do it in third....I'd fall. Had to ride so slow and do S turns to follow these people up the mountain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Terpen said:
Next time, shift to 3rd and watch the needle fall.
interesting...I would have thought that an elevated RPM would be more beneficial...

Sometimes when i am on the Beltway in D.C. traffic drags to a halt in rush hour (about 5 mph) and i see my guage go up...next time this happen i will try to remember the 3rd gear thing...and then see what happens. (If I can keep it running that slow and pull a hill).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
ElBando said:
Could never do it in third....I'd fall. Had to ride so slow and do S turns to follow these people up the mountain.
As a matter of fact maybe, I don't think I can go 5mph in 3rd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
I have a 06 and have not had any problems with heat. First thing I did was check my coolant level and added about 6 oz of distilled water not spirits when I got my bike home (overflow bottle). The dealer may have not checked it but you can bet I checked oil, water and lug nuts etc. We rode in a very large parade Sunday, Bikers for Babies our group was over 200 and total aprox 2000 bikes. It was hot and I did a lot of parade speed and it never passed half way. I got a couple of looks when those fans kicked in. I am in Arkansas and we have heat but no overheat on the 06. The only other thing that I have done is change to full synthetic oil.
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top