GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time i turn my bike off and then back on again the clock goes back to 1:00 and the trip odometer is reset to zero, i could use some tips on what to do here. Thanks Stanley :shrug:

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Battery going bad??

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Or you have a loose ground wire check the battery connections and make sure they are all tight, sometimes they vibrate loose becuase they were not tightened correctly by the dealer. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Weak battery. BTDT

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
It does sound like the symptoms of a battery starting to take a dump and possibly leave you stranded soon.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The battery seems realy strong, i had the section that sits over the key switch unplugged and removed before any of this started would that have any effect.

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
check battery connection

if battery is original
replace it
9 years is too long

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Put a digital volt meter on it. I'll bet the voltage is dropping pretty low while cranking.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I had that same problem. I had replaced my battery with a Yuasa oem about a year ago, but it never seemed quite as strong as my old battery. When it start doing this it would always start, but seemed to lug down, like it was NOT going to start. Luckily it never left me stranded.

Anyway, I replaced it with a new Westco sealed battery last week, and it has much more power and starts the 1800 immediately, and clock and trip meter do not reset, so I am happy!

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Lesson learned! You got lucky, the battery can and will quit suddenly.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Every time i turn my bike off and then back on again the clock goes back to 1:00 and the trip odometer is reset to zero, i could use some tips on what to do here. Thanks Stanley :shrug:
Ponksatony Phil syndrome, maybe :shrug:

I never heard of this, but it may be related to the combination meter (i.e, the dash). Did you add any electrical accessories that may have affected the combination meter? Also, check the relays.

Also, sometimes simply disconnecting the battery then reconnecting may clear up a fault that otherwise will not go away. A similar thing happened to me last night with my HDTV. It got stuck in on-mode and would not power off, change stations, or anything. I unplugged it and the problem went away as soon as I plugged it back in. My diswasher (with a digital panel) acted crazy once also. Solution: circuit breaker off, then on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts