GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warmer days have finally come to Southern Indiana, and bikes are starting to come out of hibernaton. Driving in my mini-van about 3 mile from my house, I pulled to a stop at the base of a "T" intersection, and noticed a 12 or 13 year old kid on a dirt bike approching from my left. Since I had the right-of-way after my stop, I started to pull into the intersection and make a right hand turn. At the last possible moment something told me to wait and see what the biker did. Well, he blew through the stop at about 45 MPH! If I hadn't heeded that inner voice, and had proceeded as I normally would have, the kid would have T-boned my mini-van, and I would have come away with one painful memory. :shock:

I followed the kid for several miles past my usual turn off hoping he would pull over, or into his house, which he didn't. I would love to speak to his parents. I really didn't want to lecture him, but he probably has no idea how close he came to ending his riding career then and there.

My question for us bikers is, when you are the cager, do you watch out more for your two-wheeled brothers (and sisters) than you would if you didn't ride? Do you hang back a little when following a bike? Do you take that second look when you are making that left hand turn? Are you more likely to share the road with a group of bikes? Would you go out of your way to tell a new rider when they do something stupid/dangerous?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I know i do all the time , being an ex truck driver you learn to look out for the 4 wheelers. :eek:4: now i do my best to give way to the bikes every little bit helps.:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I have these stickers on the rear windows of our cages. I'm always on the lookout for motorcyclists when driving/riding. If they see the sticker it should give them peace of mind that I"m situationally aware of them.

The stickers are free.
Good site! I ordered a couple and sent in the donation, so thanks for posting:lol:

·
Registered
160 Posts
sometimes it good to listen to that voice - was going home after work it was dark and i came up on a slow pickup was going to pass and thought i am not in a hurry and about that time a bike went by with no lights:22yikes: he has no idea that would have been his last ride-

·
Registered
19,052 Posts
Thanks! I ordered a sticker for my truck. I try and look out for bikes.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I always keep an eye on my fellow biker. :thumbup:

·
Banned
3,711 Posts
Yes I always leave extra room and keep a watchful eye out .

Thanks for the sticker site wingriderz:thumbup:

I have the ABATE WATCH FOR MOTORCYCLES on the Truck.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I have these stickers on the rear windows of our cages. I'm always on the lookout for motorcyclists when driving/riding. If they see the sticker it should give them peace of mind that I"m situationally aware of them.

The stickers are free.
Good Link. I'll be ordering also.
But I couldn't help but laugh thinking of the word friendly on your Stuff LOL

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
:agree:i pay extra attention to people on the bike as i never know when a cager may do something stupid around the bike and cause a problem or even it the biker is stupid i still watch out

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Oh yea, I bet what got your attention was the age of the rider. Deep inside you thought he would be stupid and you were right.
A mile from my house I came to a 4 way stop sign. Typically I just roll up to it and turn right. You can see all the way to the next block and almost never has anyone coming from that direction, I was in My truck when I decided to stop because I saw a Kid on a Three wheeler. Like I said Its a 4 way stop, But something told me he was going for it. And he did, about 60 mph too:shock: Its a 30 mph zone.
I didn't find the kid but I knew who owned the three wheeler and told him about it. He said he found out about it just before I got there and the kid no Longer rides his three wheeler.
Had I not waited for him to blow the stop sign , he would have been dead and I would have a Dent in the door of my truck. But I would not have felt guilty about it. But I'm glad I waited.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts