GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a local trim shop that has been in business for many years and does excellent work. The owner of the shop owns a GL1800 and has made a few seats for the wing. He has recommended doing my stock seat with different foam and cupping out the seating position, trimming down the sides in order to lower you to the ground... I tested a seat and it was great compared to the stock. He has recommended covering the seat in cloth that has a rubber backing making it waterproof. He said the cloth dries really fast and is much more comfortable that the vinyl. Can anyone comment on this idea of covering the seat in cloth? Thanks, Chazz

·
Registered
142 Posts
My aftermarket (Diamond) seat is cloth, and I love it. It isn't backed by anything; when it gets wet, it does stay wet for a day or so unless I'm able to park it in the sun; that will dry it in a couple of hours. That doesn't bother me - it's a good trade off for the comfort when it's hot outside. The cloth seat is much more comfortable in my opinion. If it's wet and that's going to be a problem, I just fold up a towel and sit on top of that until it dries.

Diamond do sell a rain cover but I didn't bother with it. I cover it with my butt when it's raining and if it gets wet, it gets wet. The harder foam (and in my case, taller and farther back) makes all the difference for me in terms of comfort.

·
Registered
451 Posts
We have a Hartco fabric seat and love it. In the summer it is not hot and in the winter its not cold. One of the best investments we have made. We also bought the rain covers but thats up to you.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
seat mod?

Chazz

What kind a Money is he talking to do this?

Thanks
Bloodbought1

·
Registered
922 Posts
I love may Hartco cloth seat, never cold and never hot, just have to watch the rain.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I agree with the rest here. Don't make it waterproof. Let the seat absorb the heat and cold not reflect it. I have the Corbin and really like it. It's leather and not waterproof. Your butt may get a little wet, especially after washing the bike but it will dry.

Dave

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To redo the complete seat including my Utophia backrest and the passenger he said 250. I think that's a reasonable deal.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
VENDOR

Chazzman

Who is the vendor?A phone # maybe.

Thanks
Bloodbought1

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Some pictures would be nice also.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am having mine done next week. If it comes out good I will post the vendor name and phone number. Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts