GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably will get chewed for this but I really need to know.
When I rode on two wheels, I always had a helmet, and thicker clothing for protection.
Now I ride a trike and feel SOOO much safer. Still wear the helmet but the other protective clothing - no. I am NOT an aggressive rider - in fact I ride like the proverbial old man. BUT I love the ride.

My question: Is my trike really safer than two wheels? I can't lay it down. I guess I could fall off. I could get t-boned. I do know that the protective stuff is so hot that I try to pass out in 95-100 degree weather.

Has anyone any ideas for me?

Many thanks :?:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
With the exeption of a parking lot or stop sign drop, I would say you aren't much better off. It has more mass, which could make a difference if you are hit, other than that, you are still apt to be thrown. I know a lot of trike guys say it isn't a bike, and this, that and yadda, yadda are different. Just saying. You may note a lot of folks have a note about the Black Pirate leaving a message. He was a great guy, I unfortunatly never met, but I did enjoy his posts. He was a trike guy.

Best wishes and enjoy, how ever you choose.

·
Registered
522 Posts
With the exeption of a parking lot or stop sign drop, I would say you aren't much better off. It has more mass, which could make a difference if you are hit, other than that, you are still apt to be thrown. I know a lot of trike guys say it isn't a bike, and this, that and yadda, yadda are different. Just saying. You may note a lot of folks have a note about the Black Pirate leaving a message. He was a great guy, I unfortunatly never met, but I did enjoy his posts. He was a trike guy.

Best wishes and enjoy, how ever you choose.
Just be careful in the curves. Trikes don’t react like two wheelers.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Probably will get chewed for this but I really need to know.
When I rode on two wheels, I always had a helmet, and thicker clothing for protection.
Now I ride a trike and feel SOOO much safer. Still wear the helmet but the other protective clothing - no. I am NOT an aggressive rider - in fact I ride like the proverbial old man. BUT I love the ride.

My question: Is my trike really safer than two wheels? I can't lay it down. I guess I could fall off. I could get t-boned. I do know that the protective stuff is so hot that I try to pass out in 95-100 degree weather.

Has anyone any ideas for me?

Many thanks :?:
I am nearly 73 and the heat affects me more now than ever before. I found a solution for this and it is a Hyper Kewl vest with a mesh jacket over the vest. I dip the vest in water for 30 or so seconds and all of the kapok pockets fill with water. Then, by putting the mesh jacket over me the water cools my core not just evaporates if I were wearing the vest as an out garmet.

I wear a helmet and short fingered gloves and tennis shoes. Know I would be safer with boots, but don't feel much safer as most likely the way I will get hurt if I get hurt is for someone to run into me and do not feel the boots will give me that much more protection.

Got my macho son a vest and he actually wears it in this hot Texas weather.

·
Registered
278 Posts
When it's warm I dress the same as I did on 2 wheels,,,, jeans,, tee-shirt,, boots,, fingerless gloves and skull cap.
Not the best I suppose if you hit the ground (have road rash to back up that comment :shrug:) but I also drink coffee and thats bad for ya also.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Couldn't resist...

We're dangerous dudes, we got bad attitudes
Most of our brain cells are gone
We were born to be bad, you better not get us mad
Or we just might toilet paper your lawn
We got a reputation 'round these parts
We only leave a ten percent tip
Sometimes we don't return our shoping carts
Stay out of our way and don't you give us no lip

'Cause we're young... dumb and ugly
That's what we are
We're so young... young, dumb and ugly

We wear black leather in the hottest weather
You can't imagine the smell
We got three-day stubble, our names spell trouble
T-R-U-B-E-L
Reaisin' hell, bendin' the rules just a little
We're livin' only for thrills
We squeeze our tooothpaste tubes from the middle
And wait until the last minute to pay our telephone bills

You better believe it
We're young... young, dumb and ugly
I'll tell you again
We're comin' to your town
Yeah, we're young... young, dumb and ugly

We're wild, reckless men, we're on a rampage again
We drive with just one hand on the wheel
Danger's in our soul, we're goin' out of control
Swimmin' right after a big heavy meal
We're there wherever trouble's starting
We're rebels without a clue
We drink milk right from the carton
And keep our library books 'till they're way overdue

That's what we are
You can't stop us
We're young... we're so young, dumb and ugly
Young, dumb & ugly
We're young... we're young, dumb and ugly
So ugly
Young... dumb... & ugly
-Wierd Al

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
What folks choose to wear is personal. I have always worn a helmet, 3/4 and now a FF with a mesh jacket. I started riding in 1948 and wore a football helmet as leather helmets were all that was available them unless you spent huge bucks. My buddies laughed at me until one hit the curb without a helmet and was brain damaged until he died two years later. In those days, his health care broke his parents.

My trikes are safer to ME! Six years ago when on my Motor Trike after owning it one week, a car headed straight for me in my lane. It was hit him or take to the large ditch.

I was running around 40 mph, took to the ditch, went down about six feet, hanging on for dear life, downshifted, went up the other side and seeing a barbed wire fence, headed back down into the ditch. I rode up on to the road and pulled over on the shoulder. I was okay, but shaking.

If I have been on my two wheel Wing one week earlier, I would still be in that ditch!

·
Registered
165 Posts
What you were is a personal thing. We used to say, 45 years ago, “if you have a $10 head were a $10 dollar helmet. Shoei’s at the time were $10 to $15 and Bell’s were $30+. Go figure! I still were all my riding gear even in the heat. But the jacket is now an airflow in high temperatures. But I ride hard with 2 wheelers and don’t want to slow them down. If you feel lucky, wear what you want. It’s your hide.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After seeing Danbpt's ride after being t-boned and after reading all your posts, I guess I will try to find some protective clothing. and a motorcycle air conditioner.

My co pilot of 40 years does not want us hurt...

Many thanks for all the info.

David Britton :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts