GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was riding BMWs I was a clothing snob, it had to be BMW or KLIM. I have now learned that you don’t have to spend as much to get quality motorcycle clothing. Many times some of the mid grade jackets and pants are as good and more versatile.

·
Premium Member
1,628 Posts
Ride your ride and wear what ya wanna wear......long as I'm happy all is well. JMHO

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
When I was riding BMWs I was a clothing snob, it had to be BMW or KLIM. I have now learned that you don’t have to spend as much to get quality motorcycle clothing. Many times some of the mid grade jackets and pants are as good and more versatile.
Yes i bought ski pants from Academy and a very warm jacket from my police store. Found out if it doesn't have a motorcycle brand attached its half price but just as good or better.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
When I first started riding, (53 or so years ago) I couldn't afford real riding gear other than a good helmet. I wore some pretty interesting clothing back then. Looked really sharp too.🤣 But I survived mostly warm and damp. Had a great time always!!

It's the trip, not what you wear. Glad you found a less expensive alternative.

Rayjoe

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Klim and an Arai or Shoei silver helmet are the BMW uniform. BMW gear if you are tall and slender enough. Harley peeps its black helmets, leather jackets and chaps. Goldwingers seem to be more gear diverse. Well, unless you are a GWRRA member. Then you and you passenger have to have matching shirts and vest with tons of patches/pins on them. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Klim and an Arai or Shoei silver helmet are the BMW uniform. BMW gear if you are tall and slender enough. Harley peeps its black helmets, leather jackets and chaps. Goldwingers seem to be more gear diverse. Well, unless you are a GWRRA member. Then you and you passenger have to have matching shirts and vest with tons of patches/pins on them. :)
TOO FUNNY!!! As a former long-time BMW rider, I might mention the Schuberth helmet. Still wear mine (yes, it's silver with a Sena Bluetooth com system) and a never used (custom design) Shoei in the closet as backup. Don't forget he BMW Motorrad line of clothing. Coats and jackets routinely going for over $1K. Ouch.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My wife and I each have 2 Schuberh helmets each with Sena 50Ss. We each have 2 bikes and don’t want to repair each time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I remember back in 70’s. could not afford expensive clothing, so good old Dad Says, when I rode my BSA Bantam , I filled my jacket with newspaper to keep warm. Of course Dad would be right, so tried it works like a dream . Except when I took my jacket off after riding in freezing fog, everybody could read the news on my shirt. Well soon after that bought my Belstaff gear.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In the late 70s and 80s I did not know better and rode it jeans and whatever jacket that I could find. The one good item that I used was a BMW helmet, one of the first modular helmets. Now I am ATGAT except on the BMW R1200RTP. It would be good if could wear uniforms with armor.

·
Registered
92 Posts
In the late 70s and 80s I did not know better and rode it jeans and whatever jacket that I could find. The one good item that I used was a BMW helmet, one of the first modular helmets. Now I am ATGAT except on the BMW R1200RTP. It would be good if could wear uniforms with armor.
Agreed. There is NO excuse not to go ATG ATT. Living in Florida (a "no helmet required" State), and riding year round you see it all. Teens and clueless seniors on Chinese scooters weaving in and out of traffic wearing only shorts, tank-tops, and sandals. Hog riders with leather boots, and little else on aside from the requisite jeans, black tee shirt, chain wallet, tattoos, and snarl. We fondly refer to these folks as organ donors. Sadly, many are friends, so we all pray nothing goes awry. Cannot save the bones, but at least save your skin.

·
Chard Member
13,056 Posts
The Safety Nazis always show up. This subject has been beat to death. If you feel safer dressed in armor go for it.

Wear what you want to wear. If I die on a bike, I’ll die happy and comfortable in my half helmet, jeans, T-shirt, and boots!

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
The Safety Nazis always show up. This subject has been beat to death. If you feel safer dressed in armor go for it.

Wear what you want to wear. If I die on a bike, I’ll die happy and comfortable in my half helmet, jeans, T-shirt, and boots!
are they safety Nazis or are they being realistic? I have seen some studies that show that a major injury can cost close to a million dollars(from ambulance ride to home and everything in between). Also the states with no helmet laws have around 5x head injuries and death than those with helmet laws. So you say Nazis, I say common sense and good riding practice. I have seen many injuries and taken care of them.......going too fast, intoxicated, not wearing proper clothing and others all contribute to injuries. Some say they do not want to wear a helmet because they do not want to be paralyzed.......the studies show that is not the case....in fact, the opposite. So, call me a Nazi....which would be incorrect.....I am a retired Ortho with years of seeing what can happen.....to the original post...I get my things after careful shopping.....I will wear a proper helmet, jacket with armor, pants with protection, boots and gloves. They do not have to be a name brand. I wont drink while on the bike......I've even taught a course on what to do before the ambulance arrives......

·
Registered
92 Posts

No insult intended, Red. Do as you please. No judgment made at all. And, I am not a Nazi of any kind. No need to toss out senseless epithets. I simply gear up because I believe in it out of a profound respect for the ones I love.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Just be glad you don’t ride a Harley, look at their costumes.
Really? If you took the time to go into the Motor Clothes section of any Harley Davidson Dealership, you would find some of the best quality safety riding gear on the planet. The difference is: When you see a guy on a Jap bike wearing lousy attire, you say " He's an idiot". The same guy dressed the same way on a Harley, you say, "Typical Harley Rider". It has nothing to do with the brand - it's the individual rider who makes the decision on what to wear. If you want to see costumes, look at sport bike riders, metric cruiser riders, scooter riders, bicyclists, and some Wingers - then tell me it's all Harley Davidson's fault. If you want to go through the useless exercise of picking a particular demographic, I suggest you pick touring riders in general. That demographic is much more likely to satisfy your insistence that people dress as you like. One little problem - you'll find people wearing flip flops and shorts on Goldwings, too. You will also see well outfitted riders on Soortsters, Ninjas, Gixers, and CBRs. So how do you equate what you ride with what you wear?
If you don't like leather, then you are misinformed. Some of the best abrasion resistance comes from leather. I have both Dernier and leather riding gear. What is next, if a Full Faced helmet has orange and black coloring, it's no longer a safe helmet?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts