GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was a house painter for forty years. That means I worked with sandpaper almost every day. So I'm well aware of what abrasives can do. When I got back to riding after a thirty two year hiatus I went back to the t-shirt deal. However I just couldn't get comfortable with all of that abrasive zooming by underneath me at speed. So after the first year back I became an atgatt guy with a closet full of all the top name gear.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I saw this thread as a little tongue in cheek talk about gear while making fun of ourselves and brand trends. Some people took this a little to seriously and were offended.

Really? If you took the time to go into the Motor Clothes section of any Harley Davidson Dealership, you would find some of the best quality safety riding gear on the planet. The difference is: When you see a guy on a Jap bike wearing lousy attire, you say " He's an idiot". The same guy dressed the same way on a Harley, you say, "Typical Harley Rider". It has nothing to do with the brand - it's the individual rider who makes the decision on what to wear. If you want to see costumes, look at sport bike riders, metric cruiser riders, scooter riders, bicyclists, and some Wingers - then tell me it's all Harley Davidson's fault. If you want to go through the useless exercise of picking a particular demographic, I suggest you pick touring riders in general. That demographic is much more likely to satisfy your insistence that people dress as you like. One little problem - you'll find people wearing flip flops and shorts on Goldwings, too. You will also see well outfitted riders on Soortsters, Ninjas, Gixers, and CBRs. So how do you equate what you ride with what you wear?
If you don't like leather, then you are misinformed. Some of the best abrasion resistance comes from leather. I have both Dernier and leather riding gear. What is next, if a Full Faced helmet has orange and black coloring, it's no longer a safe helmet?

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I saw this thread as a little tongue in cheek talk about gear while making fun of ourselves and brand trends. Some people took this a little to seriously and were offended.
This is exactly what this thread was supposed to do. Give everyone a little humor and forget what is going on in Washington.

·
Chard Member
13,052 Posts
That’s what I read into the OP! Turned into a safety speech from some.

I was going to originally post that my Harley’s won’t run just right unless I’m at least wearing a H-D T-shirt!! They’ve been that way for 51 years....

·
Registered
76 Posts
That’s what I read into the OP! Turned into a safety speech from some.

I was going to originally post that my Harley’s won’t run just right unless I’m at least wearing a H-D T-shirt!! They’ve been that way for 51 years....
Now that is funny! Self-deprecating humor is really the best. It shows people you have a heart, and can laugh at your self. Way better than calling out folks as Nazis, but we are certain you meant no offense -- it's just a saying, and we understand that. Ride safe, my friend!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Remember this old quote from the Sixties??: "Five dollar helmet for a five dollar head" Somehow still echoes true today.
I'm thinking a 70 yr old head isn't worth as much as a 20 yr old's. So a prorated, fifty year old, $5 head may not be worth the two cents I sometimes give on some of these threads. I may have to start paying you guys to read my comments.

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
748 Posts
Misinformation is often put forth as humor. I simply answered the comment - no ill will. The whole topic was about false assumptions, right?
Many a serious belief is posed as humor - it isn't being overly serious to correct some misconceptions - I certainly wasn't offended. The whole thread wasn't just a joke - I took it as honest dialogue.
Sometimes there is a point to a joke, if the point is wrong, then a dose of reality doesn't hurt, either.
Sorry if some were offended thinking I was offended. Guess that's what happens when people of differing views express themselves. Now about those silly Goldwingers thinking they ride a real motorcycle...

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I tried on some KLIM stuff once. It was awesome, went away, never bought it. I guess I just couldn’t justify the cost. Spent it on suspension instead. Now that was justifiable.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I believe the Bell Helmets add from long ago said "If You Have a $10 Head, Wear a $10 Helmet". I agree and feel the same way about keeping my skin attached to my flesh. Shoei and Aerostich.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The trendy, expensive motorcycle clothing (Shoei, Aerostich, etc.) I have will last forever as it sits on the shelf while my inexpensive stuff gets regular workouts.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have two choices: a silver Neotec and a blue 1/2 helmet. Neither one matches my Ardent Red Honda. Typically I wear the blue one as it's easier to put on. Nothing matches. My riding jacket is grey and black so it doesn't match either.

I'm a mess.

But as soon as I twist the throttle, I forget all about how dumb I look and get thinking about how great I feel. Beats dropping a thousand bucks on all new gear. Ha... that'll pay for the next 300 trips to Taco Bell, my fav destination...

·
Registered
107 Posts
I try to Dress for the Slide, not for the Ride. Function over Form every time. Would not ride 50 feet without high quality gear on myself and my wife. Many riders think they are Never Going Down. My friend had Road Rash on 20% of his body, complete with Helicopter Ride and Skin Grafts. An Ounce of Prevention Beats a Pound of Cure.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I like to ride my Honda to the BMW rally wearing a Harley shirt. It surely confuses them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
I like to ride my Honda to the BMW rally wearing a Harley shirt. It surely confuses them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Too funny! I am attending a BMW MOA rally in Orange Beach, AL over Valentine's 2021 weekend proudly aboard my Goldwing. The H-D shirt is a great idea...if only I could find one without oil stains. (Just kidding. About the stains, that is).

·
Registered
265 Posts
Too funny! I am attending a BMW MOA rally in Orange Beach, AL over Valentine's 2021 weekend proudly aboard my Goldwing. The H-D shirt is a great idea...if only I could find one without oil stains. (Just kidding. About the stains, that is).
All my Honda and Goldwing shirts have ice cream stains. Everybody knows a winger can't pass up a Dairy Queen!!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
At 36,000 miles my R1200GS needs a new clutch. Im replacing that today. Then its for sale. After owning a GS for the last 14 years It will be my last BMW for a while.
I'll still be active in my local BMW club because I enjoy thier friendships and riding styles. Two of our active members have converted from a K1600 GTL to GL1800s.

I will need a new adv bike. Maybe an AT or Tenere 700. Maybe a KLR650.

I work for HD part-time, thus the ton of HD shirts and gear. Love my black/orange rainsuit with the giant reflective bar and shield on the back.

Need to buy some Honda shirts.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,554 Posts
I tried on some KLIM stuff once. It was awesome, went away, never bought it. I guess I just couldn’t justify the cost. Spent it on suspension instead. Now that was justifiable.
Klim does make some nice gear though. I like it alot more than my cheaper gear...all my gear has Gore Tec liners and thats alot of the cost with the high end gear...that and the stitching and armor are of higher quialty for more protection in a crash.

·
Registered
748 Posts
The trendy, expensive motorcycle clothing (Shoei, Aerostich, etc.) I have will last forever as it sits on the shelf while my inexpensive stuff gets regular workouts.
TourMaster Cortex jacket - 22 yr.s and counting. Heine-Gerick pants - 20 years. Leather chaps - 25 (+) years. Buell insulated gauntlets - 15. I use the jacket much more than the pants or gauntlets, so the cuffs are a little frayed. The stuff sits on the shelf during hot weather, so I guess that's why it's lasted!
Before the TourMaster, I used only leather jackets. Gave away my oldest leather jacket about 12 years ago, when I found a fancy Harley jacket on clearance at H.D. - nice vented leather with padded armour, but heavier than any of my other gear. Absolutely functional and beautiful. - Yep, sits in the closet most of the time!

·
Registered
76 Posts
At 36,000 miles my R1200GS needs a new clutch. Im replacing that today. Then its for sale. After owning a GS for the last 14 years It will be my last BMW for a while.
I'll still be active in my local BMW club because I enjoy thier friendships and riding styles. Two of our active members have converted from a K1600 GTL to GL1800s.

I will need a new adv bike. Maybe an AT or Tenere 700. Maybe a KLR650.

I work for HD part-time, thus the ton of HD shirts and gear. Love my black/orange rainsuit with the giant reflective bar and shield on the back.

Need to buy some Honda shirts.
I heard new BMW clutches were about $3K for replacement at a dealership. Is that true? My 2011 BMW R1200 RT had about 60K miles when I sold it last year with no tranny slip, or clutch issues. Performance was flawless. It just ate through Michelin Pilots like Gummy Bears.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts