GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Love The DCT
12,020 Posts
Klim does make some nice gear though. I like it alot more than my cheaper gear...all my gear has Gore Tec liners and thats alot of the cost with the high end gear...that and the stitching and armor are of higher quialty for more protection in a crash.
Klim does make high quality gear that lasts for a long time.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I heard new BMW clutches were about $3K for replacement at a dealership. Is that true? My 2011 BMW R1200 RT had about 60K miles when I sold it last year with no tranny slip, or clutch issues. Performance was flawless. It just ate through Michelin Pilots like Gummy Bears.
The wet clutch bikes (2013+ MY) are much easier to change. $500 for new disks. I won't know if I need a new pressure plate or basket until I pull the clutch. The whole clutch package not including the basket is about $800. I suspect it may take me 2 hours to change it out. Back in the dry clutch days you had to break the bike in half.

FWIW, I have never wore out a clutch before on any bike or car that I have owned. I have done some low speed cone competitions and they may have contributed to the accelerated wear.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Years ago Fred Rau of MCN wrote a column sharing his observations from visiting 3 major rallies in one year. To the best of memory here were some of this comments.

Americade
Lots of Goldwings.
Lots of folks riding with 3/4 helmets and matching satin jackets
Riders up early, moderate length rides, about split between it being a riding event and a social event.
To bed early.
Nearly everybody stayed in hotels and motels.

Sturgis
Lots of Harleys, duh
Lots of no or half helmets, and heavy boots. Joked they seem to be much more concerned about foot injuries over head injuries
Riders up later, to bed late with lots of time socializing, shorter rides, more of a social event then a riding event.
Mostly people staying in motels, hotels with some camping.

BMW MOA
Lots of guess, BMWs
Lots of full face and modular helmets as well as hi-viz textile suits. (said they look like human highlighters)
Riders up early, on the road early, late nights in the beer garden.
Long daily rides. More of a riding event then a social event.
90% camping

I will add my GWRRA rally observations
Same as Americade except Lots of trikes, walkers and oxygen tanks. (Not a slam, fact is our GL demographic is aging)
People get pissed with you laugh out loud during the light parade.

The thing I liked about attending MOAs is they are in a different location every year. Been to Sturgis, once was enough. Been to Americade so long ago. Would love to go back.

Motorcycling is like ice cream. There are many flavors for a reason. We all like something different. And... all ice cream is good.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Years ago Fred Rau of MCN wrote a column sharing his observations from visiting 3 major rallies in one year. To the best of memory here were some of this comments.

Americade
Lots of Goldwings.
Riders up early, moderate length rides, about split between it being a riding event and a social event.
To bed early.

Sturgis
Lots of Harleys, duh
Lots of no or half helmets, and heavy boots. Joked they seem to be much more concerned about foot injuries over head injuries
Riders up later, to bed late with lots of time socializing, shorter rides, more of a social event then a riding event.

BMW MOA
Lots of guess, BMWs
Lots of full face and modular helmets as well as hi-viz textile suits. (said they look like human highlighters)
90% camping

Same as Americade except Lots of trikes, walkers and oxygen tanks. (Not a slam, fact is our GL demographic is aging)

The thing I liked about attending MOAs is they are in a different location every year. Been to Sturgis, once was enough. Been to Americade so long ago. Would love to go back.

Motorcycling is like ice cream. There are many flavors for a reason. We all like something different. And... all ice cream is good.
charleetho, truly epic and classic. I am going to print and frame this one. Great stuff!

·
Registered
178 Posts
At 36,000 miles my R1200GS needs a new clutch. Im replacing that today. Then its for sale. After owning a GS for the last 14 years It will be my last BMW for a while.
I'll still be active in my local BMW club because I enjoy thier friendships and riding styles. Two of our active members have converted from a K1600 GTL to GL1800s.

I will need a new adv bike. Maybe an AT or Tenere 700. Maybe a KLR650.

I work for HD part-time, thus the ton of HD shirts and gear. Love my black/orange rainsuit with the giant reflective bar and shield on the back.

Need to buy some Honda shirts.
I'd love to hear why anyone goes from a GTL to the Wing

·
Registered
683 Posts
The equipment that I bought 15 years ago for riding on my Wing was middle to top of the line at the time. However, since then, UV has degraded things (my red jacket is kinda pinky and I'm sure the stitching is not nearly as strong) and advances have been made in protection. The Armour that my old stuff was outfitted with is now old technology and nw armour is lighter and much better and stays in place on my body better.

My 3/4 helmet was great at the time but nowadays they are harder to find with less selection and the modular helmets off a lot more protection (from crashes and while riding (bugs, snow, rain).

My point being that the safety equipment, jackets, pants, helmets are better now than they were 10 to 15 years ago and protect better, especially when you add in the deterioration of the old equipment over time.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,554 Posts
Klim does make high quality gear that lasts for a long time.
The equipment that I bought 15 years ago for riding on my Wing was middle to top of the line at the time. However, since then, UV has degraded things (my red jacket is kinda pinky and I'm sure the stitching is not nearly as strong) and advances have been made in protection. The Armour that my old stuff was outfitted with is now old technology and nw armour is lighter and much better and stays in place on my body better.

My 3/4 helmet was great at the time but nowadays they are harder to find with less selection and the modular helmets off a lot more protection (from crashes and while riding (bugs, snow, rain).

My point being that the safety equipment, jackets, pants, helmets are better now than they were 10 to 15 years ago and protect better, especially when you add in the deterioration of the old equipment over time.
No only is the protection better but todays high end gear is more versatile, more comfortable and it enables you to pack lighter...with the right gear there is no need to pull over to change into rain gear...then only to have to pull over again down the road to take it off again because you are overheating and sweating under that rain gear...Gore Tex is a wonderful advancement with the riding gear..

I remember when I was on a trip a few years ago and was riding in the rain all day..my cheaper waterproof riding boots held up for about half of the day and then my feet were wet..with the rubber rainsuit I was wearing I had to remove my jacket because it was so hot inside of that rubber rain gear...it was so uncomfortable and not only that, after the rain I had to ride the rest of my multi day road trip with wet feet because I couldn't get the insides of my boots dry..really dulled the fun with my trip having to ride with wet feet. After that experience, no more cheap gear for me. Gore Tex is a requirement for my touring gear. I have ridden in hundreds of miles of rain at a time and with Gore Tex, you are dry, no wet feet, no wet hands, no wet anything, and no overheating and no sweating... and you have your jacket and armour for crash protection...when your on a trip and have to ride in who knows how the weather could turn out, its worth every penny for the high end gear.

·
Registered
748 Posts

Americade
Lots of Goldwings.
To bed early.

Sturgis
Lots of Harleys, duh

BMW MOA
Lots of guess, BMWs
90% camping

Ever read his highly complimentary article about GWTA? We all wanted to frame that one! I never wanted to do Sturis - always went to Custer State Park and rented a cabin either 2 weeks before, or 2 weeks after. Saw everything they show in the travelogues, but without the traffic! We would use the rides to Spearfish canyon, the Bridal Veil Falls, and surrounding areas, as our rally! The bartender at the Game Lodge always remembered us! Juliet was a terrific innkeeper.
We would tour the Badlands every other year, so we wouldn't get bored with it.
We usually camped at other rallies and trips. Had a Cyclemate 20 cu.ft. with all our stuff in it. Towed behind Goldwings and Nomads (Vulcan), and even behind a Sportster! Good times.

·
Registered
789 Posts
No only is the protection better but todays high end gear is more versatile, more comfortable and it enables you to pack lighter...with the right gear there is no need to pull over to change into rain gear...then only to have to pull over again down the road to take it off again because you are overheating and sweating under that rain gear...Gore Tex is a wonderful advancement with the riding gear..

I remember when I was on a trip a few years ago and was riding in the rain all day..my cheaper waterproof riding boots held up for about half of the day and then my feet were wet..with the rubber rainsuit I was wearing I had to remove my jacket because it was so hot inside of that rubber rain gear...it was so uncomfortable and not only that, after the rain I had to ride the rest of my multi day road trip with wet feet because I couldn't get the insides of my boots dry..really dulled the fun with my trip having to ride with wet feet. After that experience, no more cheap gear for me. Gore Tex is a requirement for my touring gear. I have ridden in hundreds of miles of rain at a time and with Gore Tex, you are dry, no wet feet, no wet hands, no wet anything, and no overheating and no sweating... and you have your jacket and armour for crash protection...when your on a trip and have to ride in who knows how the weather could turn out, its worth every penny for the high end gear.
For hard core, all-weather motorcyclists, top tier gear has high value. As my riding buddy likes to say to anybody reluctant to pay for higher priced moto gear, "When it's 4 degrees Celsius, raining, and you still have 8 hour's riding 'til you get home, you will never, ever regret the extra $200 (or whatever) dollars you spent on that jacket or piece of riding gear.

Tim

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I'd love to hear why anyone goes from a GTL to the Wing
I went from a K1600GTL to a 2018 wing. The BMW has more power and has twitcher handling. The BMW also carries in bags higher. The BMW uses a third party CB if you can find one. Servicing a GTL is a dealer trip.
The Goldwing is a good handling bike and the DCT is fantastic. The Honda has a lower center of gravity. Much of the service on the Honda can be done in my garage. The stock windshields and seats are not a great design but work for some, not me. I like a cockpit that does not have a lot of items added on.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
For hard core, all-weather motorcyclists, top tier gear has high value. As my riding buddy likes to say to anybody reluctant to pay for higher priced moto gear, "When it's 4 degrees Celsius, raining, and you still have 8 hour's riding 'til you get home, you will never, ever regret the extra $200 (or whatever) dollars you spent on that jacket or piece of riding gear.

Tim
There’s no bad weather just bad clothing for bad weather riding. Right gear and right attitude change ordeal into adventure.

·
Registered
148 Posts
TOO FUNNY!!! As a former long-time BMW rider, I might mention the Schuberth helmet. Still wear mine (yes, it's silver with a Sena Bluetooth com system) and a never used (custom design) Shoei in the closet as backup. Don't forget he BMW Motorrad line of clothing. Coats and jackets routinely going for over $1K. Ouch.
Well... I've ridden a BMW for a while (still have one) and I wear jeans, boots and a black leather jacket. I know I don't fit in to their crowd but do tend to do the opposite of what people expect. It's just in my DNA. I do admit I have use a Shuberth hemet. Light, comfy, and fits my big head. Oh, and when I ride with my Harley friends, I always wear a hi-viz vest... makes them crazy :)

Chuck

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes i bought ski pants from Academy and a very warm jacket from my police store. Found out if it doesn't have a motorcycle brand attached its half price but just as good or better.
You may be just as warm or just as waterproof, but you won't have the bend in the arms, or the impact pads, or the protection from muffler burns or the road rash protection. There is a price for all that.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts