GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize that many here are not using Route Planning software to pre-plan multiple Routes and save to your GPS. For most daily riding we simply punch in a destination and follow the directions as your GPS calculates. If your objective is to get from Point A to Point B as quickly as possible, this works quite well.

I'm in another group that plans multi-day trips where I want to ride specific scenic and often remote secondary roads. This requires that you plan for fuel and food stops that are within the range of your motorcycle. In remote areas the GPS better be telling you there are at least 3 gas stations at your next intended fuel stop and chances are good at least 1 will still be operating and open for business. It's a lot less stressful figuring out ahead of time in the comfort of your home where your fuel stops are and to consider a plan B if there are road closures.

Going back 20 years, my first GPS units were Garmin and I did all my route planning directly on the GPS (slow and tedious). Then about 6 years ago I switched to TomTom and started planning routes on Tyre. Tyre was a lot like Garmin's Basecamp at the time where you download the program to your Windows or Mac computer. Tyre has since been replaced by MyRouteApp which is an entirely Cloud Based route planner. No software download required, can be accessed with any web browser (Windows, Mac, iOS, Chromebook, Android) from anywhere as long as you have a WiFi or phone data connection.

I consider myself to have a good working knowledge of the tools and capabilities in my paid subscription to MyRouteApp (Gold). More recently I've played with TomTom's MyDrive and the Honda Route Planner (both cloud based). In this day and age I'm moving towards everything "Cloud Based", I have to be able to access all my files from anywhere via Smartphone.

So far I'm finding that MyRouteApp has some features that I don't want to go without compared to the free route planners. I'm curious what Cloud Based route planners other Garmin and TomTom owners are using? Below are some of the Pluses and Minuses I've found with 3 Cloud Based route planners so far. I'd like to hear what works for others and why.
  1. MyRouteApp (Gold): Subscription based
    1. +Supports Garmin, TomTom and a variety of GPS file formats.
    2. +Clearly focused more towards motorcyclist use.
    3. +Plan routes using Google Maps and save route as Garmin or TomTom files.
    4. +Simple, intuitive user interface.
    5. +Supports .GPX file format. Not particularly useful for TomTom owners.
  2. TomTom MyDrive: Free
    1. +Oriented towards the TomTom line of GPS
    2. +Simple, intuitive user interface.
    3. - Clearly focused more towards automotive use.
    4. - Can only Import & Export .GPX files, not .ITN files.
    5. - Can sync to Rider 550 via WiFi automatically but only .GPX files, no .ITN files.
  3. Honda Route Planner: Free
    1. - Generic route planner, appears to handle .GPX files only.
    2. +Simple, intuitive user interface.
    3. - Can only Import & Export .GPX files which I do not find useful as a TomTom owner.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
There's lots of good info from NER here about GPS stuff in general. They tend to stay away from the cloud due to limitations in making adjustments on the fly out of WiFi. Spoiler alert -- they love BaseCamp. IMHO, there is much to hate about it but it is least bad and I use it for most route planning that isn't "go to point A fastest route"

Ed there has some work-in-progress this winter assessing the various phone apps. Announcements on the Facebook page (you can see them here) but no outbrief of the findings yet. I tend to agree with the methodology and decision factors, though if there was a slam dunk answer I wouldn't mind shelling out a few bucks.

Apparrently Scenic is the best thing since chocolate milk but is still only an iPhone app, though Android is coming (and has been for a while).

·
Registered
630 Posts
I use mainly BaseCamp, but also the iOS and Mac app - inRoute. After taking a look at the Scenic app mentioned above, it does seem like an excellent app I’ll have to try out, as it does have features that inRoute doesn’t.

I also have a lifetime membership for the MyRoute-App, and it’s very capable as well - though I don’t care for MyRoute’s navigation app.

The new Garmin zumo XT navigator seems very nice with cloud based route creation via the Garmin Explore website, and the Garmin Drive app.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's lots of good info from NER here about GPS stuff in general. They tend to stay away from the cloud due to limitations in making adjustments on the fly out of WiFi. Spoiler alert -- they love BaseCamp. IMHO, there is much to hate about it but it is least bad and I use it for most route planning that isn't "go to point A fastest route"

Ed there has some work-in-progress this winter assessing the various phone apps. Announcements on the Facebook page (you can see them here) but no outbrief of the findings yet. I tend to agree with the methodology and decision factors, though if there was a slam dunk answer I wouldn't mind shelling out a few bucks.

Apparrently Scenic is the best thing since chocolate milk but is still only an iPhone app, though Android is coming (and has been for a while).
Big Bird, thanks for the input and links.

They tend to stay away from the cloud due to limitations in making adjustments on the fly out of WiFi.
Sounds like they would have to carry a laptop on the road to use Basecamp which is not an option for me due to lapptop fragility and space. I plan all my routes and load them on my gps before leaving home. Minor route edits can be made on the fly on the gps.

With Cloud based Planners you can acess via WiFi or Phone Data (iPhone or Android). Most of the time you have one or the other avaliable so for me Cloud Based is the way to go. If you loose your iPhone or Android on a trip just pick up a new one, sign-in and all your routes are still there. Damage a laptop along the way and maybe not?

So far MyRouteApp is the only Cloud Based route planner I've used that does not require a Windows or Mac machine (iPhone, Android Phone and Chromebook all work just fine). MyRouteApp also handls Garmin and TomTom equally as well (No jumping through hoops to download routes).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts