GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New bike, 500 miles. Riding along and I notice this clunking feel coming from the bottom of the bike. Almost feels like someone playing with the center stand by lowering it and letting go. Not the same feel though. Sometimes it happens over bumps, sometimes not. I wondered if it was short wheelbase crack in the road feel, but can't pin it down to that. Has anyone else experienced that feel? Any ideas?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Maybe you ran over a Turtle?;) Hard to know exactly what you are describing, could be a weak spring on the center stand or side stand?
Stick flew up and jammed under the center stand? Something flopping around in the front of the wheel well?

Kit

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
do u have something moving around in the trunk or saddlebags ?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do u have something moving around in the trunk or saddlebags ?
I don't think so. Feels to strong to be something in the bag. Gonna head home now and tie up the center stand and empty the bags for a test drive. I'll also check for a turtle and a stick.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
bump

I don't think so. Feels to strong to be something in the bag. Gonna head home now and tie up the center stand and empty the bags for a test drive. I'll also check for a turtle and a stick.
I think I would ride rite to dealer with 500k on it.
Jack:wrong:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
KSICEMAN, Dealer service ASAP. Not normal.

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
I agree that dealer should take care of it; but no harm in you investigating for the cause. Two mechanical flaws that will yield strong felt/heard "clunk-clunk" in suspension are the fairly common very loose front fork bearing pre-load and far less common very loose rear shock absorber mounting hardware. Even more rare, but not unheard of, damaged swing arm bearings or seals (when my bike was delivered to me, the swing arm bearings on the right side were damaged and binding - not loose, but loose is possible). There are a multitude of minor clunk-clunks that can range from loose lugs to improperly installed Tupperware.

To check front steering bearings for excessive looseness; place bike on center stand, place a prop under the front of the engine to hold front tire off of ground, grasp handle bars and vigerously pull up and push down in alternate fashion to see if the clunk is heard. If not, slow side to side motion can verify if bearings are notched (they should feel completely smooth stop to stop - no roughness or "catching"). Unless you are a decent home mechanic, checking the rear shock and swing arm are gonna be up to the dealer. Other loose stuff just needs to be eliminated or confirmed by checking everything out.

prs

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I agree that dealer should take care of it; but no harm in you investigating for the cause. Two mechanical flaws that will yield strong felt/heard "clunk-clunk" in suspension are the fairly common very loose front fork bearing pre-load and far less common very loose rear shock absorber mounting hardware. Even more rare, but not unheard of, damaged swing arm bearings or seals (when my bike was delivered to me, the swing arm bearings on the right side were damaged and binding - not loose, but loose is possible). There are a multitude of minor clunk-clunks that can range from loose lugs to improperly installed Tupperware.

To check front steering bearings for excessive looseness; place bike on center stand, place a prop under the front of the engine to hold front tire off of ground, grasp handle bars and vigerously pull up and push down in alternate fashion to see if the clunk is heard. If not, slow side to side motion can verify if bearings are notched (they should feel completely smooth stop to stop - no roughness or "catching"). Unless you are a decent home mechanic, checking the rear shock and swing arm are gonna be up to the dealer. Other loose stuff just needs to be eliminated or confirmed by checking everything out.

prs
Sounds right to me. I am retorquing MINE this weekend.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Check your front fender bolts. The rear ones that hook the chrome part to the (I would guess) yellow part. One should always put the year of the bike in their signature so we can help. You say 500 miles which assumes '09, but we shouldn't have to be detectives.

Hope this is all it is...... while you are under there at the center stand, wiggle your coolant tank too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts