GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used '05 and I don't know if this is normal or not but when I shift, the gears "clunk" noticably. If I run the RPMs up to around 3300 it seems to go away. Is there a "sweet spot" for shifting or is it something I should be concerned about?

I just got back from an Iron Butt SS and 3000 mile trip, changed the oil and final drive but the "clunk" is still there. I thought it may be caused by old fluids.

Any ideas, input is greatly appreciated.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,215 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the bike. Speed shifting keeps the clunks down. There is a sweet spot and I find it's not a certain speed or RPM but more of keeping the throttle into it. If you let up on the right grip she will clunk.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I figure since a Wing tranny (well, most of them) lasts longer than leftover chili I don't worry too much about that clunk. If it were followed by gear teeth falling out the bottom of the bike I would worry.:22yikes:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I have an '07 with 68,000 on the clock and it has clunked from day one if I shift below 3000 RPM. I find the sweet spot to be just above.

I also find the Honda recommended oil change interval of 8000 miles to be a joke. I use synthetic and change my oil when my shifts tell me it's time which comes around between 3000 and 3500 miles. I have tried many oils, but don't want to make this an oil thread, but have settled on a couple of brands of synthetic which give me the smoothest shifts.

Although I have short fingers I have moved the clutch lever back out which seems to help some too. I know it's a technique thing 'cause the clutch will disengage even at the closest setting.

Finally, flush your clutch fluid. That will make a big difference if it is not fresh.

·
Registered
2019 Tour DCT
155 Posts
Mine too clunks but from what I have read on here.. its pretty normal for the Wing. Its better with fresh oil but comes back after some miles. I have found if I "pre-load" the shifter alittle before pulling in the clutch.. it seems to slip in easier.

Enjoy the ride.. its a great bike!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I started with Mobil -1 10-40, synthetic for high mileage engines and it seems to shift MUCH better, with this I was a Shell Rotela t user before,
also my last 2 wings didn't seem to quit clunking as bad until I got 25-32 K mileage but I'm sure this 05 has that much.
and also yes the rpm's make a huge difference winding it up a liitle tight and preloading the lever before pulling the clutch really help and tapping the rpms up before downshifting help a lot on the downshift, just my thoughts

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Let it clunk.

Go on and shift it with gusto.

Only worry if it is quiet.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Welcome and congratulations! Run it!:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Sorry to disagreee; seems many KNOW better than the engineers that designed the GL1800 powerplant (?) :shrug:

The 8k recommended oil change interval is perfect, synthetic or not. The rest is all in your head. The Wing tranny just likes to be revved a little to shift... don't lug it or short shift it like a V-Twin. That is the only issue. :yes1:

I have an '07 with 68,000 on the clock and it has clunked from day one if I shift below 3000 RPM. I find the sweet spot to be just above.

I also find the Honda recommended oil change interval of 8000 miles to be a joke. I use synthetic and change my oil when my shifts tell me it's time which comes around between 3000 and 3500 miles. I have tried many oils, but don't want to make this an oil thread, but have settled on a couple of brands of synthetic which give me the smoothest shifts.

Although I have short fingers I have moved the clutch lever back out which seems to help some too. I know it's a technique thing 'cause the clutch will disengage even at the closest setting.

Finally, flush your clutch fluid. That will make a big difference if it is not fresh.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The Gold Wing gears are straight cut gears and are large. They WILL CLUNK. I also agree with Gary, I use Dino oil and change it at 8,000 miles intervals along with the filter. My 01 runs like a top, and I ride the snot out of it. I have pulled the valve cover off of it one time just to see how clean it was and it was clean. I have recently removed the valve covers off of a friend's 01 with 152,000 miles on it to do a valve clearance check, and it has used Dino oil exclusively and was serviced by me at 8,000 mile intervals and it was clean too. OH! I forgot to mention it was the first valve check and all were in tolerance.:coffee1::coffee1:

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Welcome to the world of Hondas. They are famous for their clunking trannys. I've had three and they all sound the same. Don't know what I'd do if they were quiet.

(I hear the 2012 is MUCH quieter)

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
No, its not just in our heads. Once the oil, synthetic or conventional, gets about half way through its scheduled OCI, the tranny gets clunky. I have found one brand of oil that consistently lets mine go 5,000 miles sans any clunk at all and another variation of that same brand that almost goes that long. New motor oil of any brand tried seems to be smooth shifting, but generally, not for long.

prs

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I bought a used '05 and I don't know if this is normal or not but when I shift, the gears "clunk" noticably. If I run the RPMs up to around 3300 it seems to go away. Is there a "sweet spot" for shifting or is it something I should be concerned about?

I just got back from an Iron Butt SS and 3000 mile trip, changed the oil and final drive but the "clunk" is still there. I thought it may be caused by old fluids.

Any ideas, input is greatly appreciated.

Hope you don't have the same luck I did. Start saving your pennies or make sure you have a exteneded warenty

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Learn what the wing likes and duplicate it. Service the clutch and clean and service the handle pin. Replace it if needed.
The Wing is like a good woman, she likes a firm but gentile touch. The only clunking should be first to second on a rare occasion, it is a long throw, so can be nature of the beast. It can be shifted at almost any RPM once you figure out how it likes to shift.

:congrats: On the ride and Best wishes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all for the input. I will put the "clunk" in the back of my head and ride on!!!!!!

I didn't mention before but after riding 3000 miles, the only thing that hurt was knowing the ride had to come to an end.....AWESOME BIKE

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
It will never "snick" like a sport bike, but it will sound like most other bikes out there..... it's just that the wing is so quiet, you notice.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Nope; cannot buy it. I have never had ANY difference in tranny smoothness on my 05 GL1800, whether the full-synth I use is brand new, or 1/2 way thru it's cycle, or about to be changed at 8k. Just changed my oil yesterday at 7600. miles...
tranny shifts smooth and "snick-snick" unless I'm careless with the revs or (positive) foot action, and forget it's not a V-Twin. No difference with the old or new oil what-so-ever!

:thumbup: :shrug:

No, its not just in our heads. Once the oil, synthetic or conventional, gets about half way through its scheduled OCI, the tranny gets clunky. I have found one brand of oil that consistently lets mine go 5,000 miles sans any clunk at all and another variation of that same brand that almost goes that long. New motor oil of any brand tried seems to be smooth shifting, but generally, not for long.

prs

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I have found that my 08 Wing shifts very well at times. At other times it feels as if the linkage or something in the transmission is made of sheet steel. It clunks with a tinny sound, not the same solid steel sound of my old 86 or my current 1500. I change oil between 3000 and 3500 miles. I use 15W-40 Rotella in the 1800 as I do in my 1500. I think the transmission is a POS.

·
Vendor
17,406 Posts
... tranny shifts smooth and "snick-snick" unless I'm careless with the revs or (positive) foot action.
:thumbup: :shrug:
I sure am glad I don't have to be worried about "revs or (positive) foot action." Finding a sweet spot like others discribe or preloading the shift lever. I used ride Wings that did that too. Now, I ride to corrected transmission version of a GL1800. I don't do any of that. I do change oil and filter every 4,000 miles just because.

I'll be finishing up another one in a couple of weeks, and that rider won't have to do all that either. He too will be riding the "corrected" version of a GL1800 tranny. And on top of all that, it will no longer be a ghost shifter. Clunking though is normal and most noticable when you let off and accelerate. Also, the clunk can be felt when shifting ... they are that way by design.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts