GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 01 GL1800 with 15,000 miles. The transmission was always clunky going into 1st, but lately it is clunking in and our of other gears.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening? Do I need to use different transmission oil? I the transmission going bad??!!!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Clunky shifting is standard equipment on the 1800. That's the way they are. Check your engine oil and make sure it's up to par on the dipstick.
The engine and transmission use the same oil.

Next time you change your oil, switch to a synthetic oil like Mobile 1 15-50 with the red cap, Amsoil, Shell Rotela T, or Honda HP4 without moly.
You'll notice a big difference in your shifting by the time you get to third gear after the oil change. The transmission shifts a lot smoother with the syn oil. After a long ride and the oil is good and hot, some of the clunkiness returns, but it's not as bad. At least that's been my experience.
Try it. You'll like it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I agree with the synthetic oil making for smoother shifting. Also try pre-loading the shifter. Once you get the hang of it, the transmission is quite smooth.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Syn oil helps, but I also noticed a big improvement in shifting after I changed/flushed my clutch fluid.

Harvey from NM

·
Registered
979 Posts
Clunky shifting

:wink: Ditto on the Synthetic oil I switched to Mobil 1 at 4000 miles what a difference. :wink:

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I first got my 02 I thought sure something was wrong with it because it shifted so hard. I switched to synthetic oil and it's now smooth as silk.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Been riding for 31 years and never used syn oil in any of my bikes. Changed the 02 Wing to 15w50 Mobil Red Cap and it shifts very smoothly now and also the engine seems queiter now. Looking forward to putting 8000 miles on this oil to see if it continues to help the shifting. Try it you will like it.
Rex

1 - 10 of 10 Posts