GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching all morning but can't seem to find anyone with exactly the same problem. My clutch engages just as I'm letting the lever out and I would like for it to engage a little farther out so that I know it is disengaging all the way when I pull the lever in. I do have the adjustable levers and right now I am on 1, I moved it to 5 and it doesn't seem to change anything other than the position of the lever. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Gary

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
As you found out, the lever adjustments are exactly that, allowing for different sized mitts (hands). Just as the brakes are, there are no adjustments to the hydaulic actuated clutches. Been the same for all the same type of cars and trucks I haved owned.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Gary,
Try replacing the clutch fluid and bleed it real well... You might have to do one or two bleeds at the banjo bolt (near the master cylinder) to insure all air is out of the system...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gary,

Interesting. I just logged on to post the same question. I am having the same issue. I have the adjustable levers and have tried different positions as well with no difference. I was speaking to a friend yesterday, and he suggested bleeding/flushing the line, as there may be air in the line? I also notice when first starting up the bike and it is "high idling", even with the clutch all the way in, if you let off on the brake it will sometimes want to engage - until the rpm's drop.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
If you haven't changed the clutch fluid in the past 25K/24 mos?.Then there is your issue.

Clutch fluid retains water/moisture and degrades the hydraulic force needed to actuate the clutch smoothly.

Changing the fluid will make a world of a difference.

The Clutch slave bleeder valve is behind the cannister behind the lower cowl.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rocky,

Love your CB restoration pics. I had an old 79 CM400A I just sold last summer. Reminds me of that bike.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Rocky,

Love your CB restoration pics. I had an old 79 CM400A I just sold last summer. Reminds me of that bike.
Thanks it's coming along.:bow:
The first bike I bought new was a Red 75 CB400 (I think that was the only color they came in?-lol)

Great little dependable bike it was.I wish I still had one.
I'm going to give the 900 to my brothers son and may just look around for a 400 to restore for kicks.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Sounds like I need to bleed the clutch.

thanks,
Gary
Bleeding the clutch to renew the fluid is good.

But you can bleed it 29 times and it will not change the way the clutch operates.

There is no adjustment on the clutch, none, not at all and most of the bikes do grab pretty quick on the first part of the clutch lever. But where it is is where it will be.

No adjustment

For the one who asked also......if the bike is cold yes the bike will want to creep a bit till it warms up , they all do that a bit too. Just like with the bike on the center stand warming up the rear wheel will rotate a bit until it warms up and then it will quit. Quite normal.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Service the clutch, but it probably is where it is and won't change much. Wings are famous for very short friction zones also. I will agree with Kit about the warm up, mine does the same and others I have seen do it also.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I can also make a differance depending on the diameter of your handle grips in combination with the type of levers that you have.
I had some problems when using the wide style clutch & brake levers in combination with the show chrome heated grips.
This due to the different setback of the levers that allowed the lever to come into contact with the grips too soon and reduce the throw.

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
I can also make a differance depending on the diameter of your handle grips in combination with the type of levers that you have.
I had some problems when using the wide style clutch & brake levers in combination with the show chrome heated grips.
This due to the different setback of the levers that allowed the lever to come into contact with the grips too soon and reduce the throw.
Good point !!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Another thing to consider is how many miles are on the engine oil. I notice it slightly with my '09 and really noticed it with my '85, that as the engine oil got up there in miles, the clutch would engage sooner. Just a funtion of more contaniments and viscosity degredation in the oil as it ages.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Since my Wing was new and still to this day the clutch engages with a very small movement away from the grip when cold. But when the engine warms up the engagement happens with the clutch lever farther away from the grip.

Ralph Wenzl

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Don't forget that the 1800 clutch is run by two things.
Pressure plate that is assisted by oil pressure.

Cold oil with effect friction zone.
Oil clutch fluid does effect Master/Slave cyl actuation of hydraulic fluid.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am going to swap out the clutch (and brake) lever for the chrome ones. This seems like the time to do the fluid maintenance. But is there any installation tips that I need to be aware of?

It seems that I should do the swap / install first, then change the fluid.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts