GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems I remember reading about extending this bleeder to make bleeding the clutch easier but I'll be darned if I can find it anywhere. Anyone have a link?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
It has to do with getting the hose that goes on a Valkyrie Rune and removing the gl1800 bleeder, tapping the hole and installing the Rune hose. There was talk about actually swapping out the slave cylinder for the Rune with the GL1800 slave but I never saw anyone actually do that.

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/4-g...5539-flushed-my-break-clutch-fluid-today.html
I fitted a Rune slave cylinder to my 2013 Wing, an easy swap, I just had to make up a small bracket to support the end of the hose.

Reactions: pwhoever

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I fitted a Rune slave cylinder to my 2013 Wing, an easy swap, I just had to make up a small bracket to support the end of the hose.

Was there anything else involved or was it as simple as removing the GL1800 slave and installing the Rune one?

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Install a "Speed Bleeder" on the Clutch Slave Cylinder and the problem, such as it is, is solved on a "regular" GL1800 Goldwing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
It's not so much a problem to properly bleed, it's an issue of access. At least for me, besides what is normally required, I have a trike with floorboards that extend to the front of the lower cowl as well as curve in. In order to remove the lower cowl, I end up having to remove at least 1 of the floorboards which although not real difficult, is extremely time consuming. I can change the oil and filter without removing the lower cowl by just dropping the front panel on my belly pan. I have also figured out the location of the coolant drain plug so I can do it by feel without the lower cowl being removed. If I could swap out the clutch slave for the Rune one, it would pretty much eliminate the need for removing the lower cowl for preventive maintainance and greatly reduce the time involved. And maybe adding a speed bleeder to the Rune clutch hose would probably be the icing on the cake...

·
Registered
568 Posts
Was there anything else involved or was it as simple as removing the GL1800 slave and installing the Rune one?
No problems, it was an easy swap.

I clamped & unbolted the hydraulic hose from the slave cylinder, unbolted the cylinder itself, bolted up the Rune cylinder, reconnected the hydraulic hose and bled the air out.

Reactions: pwhoever

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Install a "Speed Bleeder" on the Clutch Slave Cylinder and the problem, such as it is, is solved on a "regular" GL1800 Goldwing.

This is the way to go! I have them on mine and I’ll never regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I thought I'd look into what it takes Parts-Wise to convert to the Rune Clutch Slave Cylinder. (Also included are some on-line prices I found.)

Qty = 1, HOSE ASSY., BLEEDER, 22870-MEC-000 $30.06
Qty = 1, BOLT, OIL (10X22), 90145-MS9-612 $5.15
Qty = 1, CYLINDER ASSY., CLUTCH SLAVE, 22860-MEC-010 $78.08
Qty = 2, WASHER, OIL BOLT, 90545-300-000 $3.34

Looks as though all these parts are readily available new; for those interested in doing this conversion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts