GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the proud new owner of a 09 I have a few questions. I have researched the majority of them here and found answers to many. Thank you all for that deep well of knowledge. I have a few questions that I still need answered so if I may indulge:

On the hand levers there are shiny chrome knobs with the numbers 1 through 5 on the top. I know these are adjustment positions for the engagement of the clutch/brake but my question is do these adjustments pre-load the clutch or just re-position where it begins to engage. Specifically on the clutch side, if you rotate this to engage earlier, does it affect the clutch when the lever is fully pressed against the grip? Could it cause premature wear on the clutch even though the lever is fully disengaged. I hope that makes sense. I think I prefer the engagement to occur just as I begin to release the lever instead of just before it is fully released. I just don't want to not fully disengage the clutch and cause premature wear/heat, etc.

Can someone better explain the function of these adjustments?

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Right on. Only changes the upper end - does nothing below the hand grips.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Harry. Thats what I wondered. I was concerned that if I adjusted it down, it would cause a partial engagement while at rest.

By the way, Wish I was looking at what you are looking at. No wonder you are smiling.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
They adjust the distance the levers are from the grips. However, I've found playing around with them does change the feel of both the brake and clutch operation.

Suggestion: The lube on the brass pivots in both levers is not very good from the factory. I wore a tremendous groove in the one on the clutch in just 15000 miles. They are easy to remove and grease, I now do it every oil change.

The screw with the nut on the other end that traverses through the lever mounts is how they remove. The clutch side has a plunger that operates the clutch master cylinder that must fit in a notch when you reassemble. Very easy job and straight forward assembly.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I just don't want to not fully disengage the clutch and cause premature wear/heat, etc.
If you read this board, you would think that the Honda engineers never got beyond eight grade, but I don't think they would design an adjustible lever that would cause the bike to malfunction.

Welcome to the madness! Many happy and safe miles to you!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Waldo, That was my concern. I have read many posts that make me wonder about Honda Engineers abilities. I figured it was a planned maintenance accelerator knob. My concern was that it would be like the old manual clutch adjusters that would pull the cable tight and in some cases begin the process of disengaging the clutch. In essence the knob is the same as the pedal adjustment switch in a late model Ford. It adjusts the position but doesn't affect performance. That's what I am hearing here.

Thanks again for the info

1 - 9 of 9 Posts