GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello GW Riders,

For the past 2 years, I've been using a Burgman 650 scooter with a CVT transmission. I switched to the automatic Burgman because I'm not sure my hands can handle a regular MC clutch anymore--I have a muscle disorder that makes too much gripping a problem. My hands can literally STOP working. So, now I want to move back to the more comfortable Goldwing 2012. What to do?

I've heard I can let the clutch out at idle in first gear and the GL1800 won't stall. Is this correct?

I've heard I can start the bike fine in second gear. Correct?

Most motorcycles can be shifted up, and down, without the clutch and without damaging the transmission (I heard this from a full time professional motorcycle mechanic and road racer). However, when I tried this (gently) on a test ride, the GW 2012 didn't want to do it. Can you "power shift" your GW?

I'm sure I can skip gears on the GL1800. I rode my old Voyager for years skipping from 1-3-5. Worked great, and I'm sure the GW has enough torgue to hand it. Does any of you do this?

Finally, have any of you used the Pingle electronic shifter? This item is almost $900, plus installation, but it could be very helpful for me. Your thoughts?

I really appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Cruise Control

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
About the only thing i can address is: starting in 2nd will mean using slower release of the clutch lever than starting in first. But it's one less gear to shift. :shrug:

The GW has a pretty wide power band which means less shifting is needed overall than many other big bikes.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I just returned from a trip around Lake Superior... There was a rider there who was on a Yamaha 1300 that had an automatic clutch. She still had to shift gears, but the hand clutch was gone. She said it was installed by the Dealer. . .
Maybe an option. . .

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
GW trannys are weak, especially the shifting forks. Shifting with out the clutch will eventually cause the shifting forks to bend or even break. I've had dirt bikes and road bikes that could be shifted all day long with out a clutch with no problems, but a GW is not one of those.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi,

I can easily start my Wing without giving it any throttle in first or second (in-other-words start from idle). You do have to let the clutch out slower in second.

The bike can easily be started in second gear.

It is fairly easy to shift up without the clutch. I can not shift my bike down a gear without using the clutch and have a smooth shift. It always causes a jerk and that is from 5th to 4th. I would not try it in any of the lower gears. I'm not saying it can't be done just that I can't do it and don't want to tear up equipment trying.

Rather than skipping gears etc I normally don't disengage the clutch at every shift. I just pull it in a little and shift without pulling it all the way back. I do this between all gears while up-shifting.

I know nothing about the electronic shifter. I did look at the video and thought the downshift was very abrupt. I wonder how long the trans will hold up to that?

Good luck,

Bill

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No Clutch, No Throttle

I just took the 2012 out for a long test ride. No problem starting off in first gear with NO gas. Two up, the bike eased away no problem. Also tried skipping gears up and down--no worries. The bike will also up shift sans clutch, but it wants to be turn abot 3500 rpm first. So, I think my poor hands will be able to operate the GW witout much trouble.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts