GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm used to being able to feather the clutch while making figure 8 type turns on the Harley. Prolly don't have to explain it here.
How does the DCT handle when making tight turns, i.e. 180 on a two lane highway?

·
Registered
517 Posts
If you have the skill to do tight 8s or 180s with a clutch you will be able to do it easier with DCT. The rear brake takes the place of the clutch, set a steady fast idle with throttle and use the rear brake to modulate speed. If it's really easy for you to handle slow work it will be really easy with DCT. There will be a period of getting used to DCT of course.

I know that you just signed on of course but if you are interested there are probably a month's worth of reading on DCT threads in forum history.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I've been reading a few posts here about the DCT. Haven't got the bike yet but I'm sure we will have non-stop rain for a few weeks once I get it home.
As for slow riding the Harley, yeah I could do all the obstacle courses with the bike with little difficulty.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm used to being able to feather the clutch while making figure 8 type turns on the Harley. Prolly don't have to explain it here.
How does the DCT handle when making tight turns, i.e. 180 on a two lane highway?
It'll definitely take some getting used to. My assumption is that almost EVERYONE feathers the clutch making tight parking lot/figure 8 type turns on almost any kind of bike. There is at least one thread in here ( site ) regarding this. The best advice without getting stupid technical is something someone wrote to me. Put the bike in RAIN mode. It kinda 'mutes' the bike a bit. It helped me.
You may get responses telling you to trail brake, do something else with the throttle, etc. Bottom line, you want to be able to make your U-turns, etc. without having to think about it.
..................you know...................... like you've done for many years...........................like feathering the clutch.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
If you have the skill to do tight 8s or 180s with a clutch you will be able to do it easier with DCT. The rear brake takes the place of the clutch, set a steady fast idle with throttle and use the rear brake to modulate speed. If it's really easy for you to handle slow work it will be really easy with DCT. There will be a period of getting used to DCT of course.

I know that you just signed on of course but if you are interested there are probably a month's worth of reading on DCT threads in forum history.
When I took the GWRRA ARC last year with my DCT, I found it so much easier. Did the 8's, U-Turns with very little apprehension. The bike handles so much better than using the clutch on my old bike!

·
Registered
517 Posts
When I took the GWRRA ARC last year with my DCT, I found it so much easier. Did the 8's, U-Turns with very little apprehension. The bike handles so much better than using the clutch on my old bike!
I read one too many posts about DCT not allowing fine clutch control so I went out and recorded a video doing circles and 8s with my left hand on top of my helmet. You may have seen it :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts