GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to change the clutch fluid as a part of my spring maintenance. Was at the hardware store yesterday picking up some other non-bike items and decided to check their limited automotive section for the dot-4 brake fluid. They had two bottles of Castrol synthetic Dot-4 brake fluid. Wanting to do my part with the social distancing thing I thought I’d get the two bottles and save a trip into the automotive store. Perfect. All is well. Today I decided to watch Freds clutch fluid change video and he mentioned to not use synthetic fluid! Is there a reason or is it his personal preference? I could go get another bottle of the regular Dot-4 but would prefer not to if it’s irrelevant.

·
Registered
697 Posts
You'll have to ask Fred what he meant. I don't think he meant synthetic DOT 4. I believe all the DOT 4 is compatible.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went back and watched/listened to the video. Fred definitely says “don’t use synthetic”!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Went back and watched/listened to the video. Fred definitely says “don’t use synthetic”!
As much as I hate to think this, I think Fred must have mis-spoke. All DOT3, DOT4 and DOT 5.1 is glycol based synthetic. DOT 5 is Silicone based.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Wanting to change the clutch fluid as a part of my spring maintenance. Was at the hardware store yesterday picking up some other non-bike items and decided to check their limited automotive section for the dot-4 brake fluid. They had two bottles of Castrol synthetic Dot-4 brake fluid. Wanting to do my part with the social distancing thing I thought I’d get the two bottles and save a trip into the automotive store. Perfect. All is well. Today I decided to watch Freds clutch fluid change video and he mentioned to not use synthetic fluid! Is there a reason or is it his personal preference? I could go get another bottle of the regular Dot-4 but would prefer not to if it’s irrelevant.
Here is a good description of the different DOT brake fluids.Tech Tip: Choosing The Right Brake Fluid For Your Ride!

·
Vendor
16,361 Posts
I could go get another bottle of the regular Dot-4 but would prefer not to if it’s irrelevant.
Have you considered using what the cover to the master cylinder recommends ??? In my case I use the KISS system and get what Honda sells me. That way I don't have to listen to everyones opinions, it saves me from the agony of wondering, spending time reading labels, doing add'l research ...

I always get the stuff that comes in Honda packaging.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Have you considered using what the cover to the master cylinder recommends ??? In my case I use the KISS system and get what Honda sells me. That way I don't have to listen to everyones opinions, it saves me from the agony of wondering, spending time reading labels, doing add'l research ...

I always get the stuff that comes in Honda packaging.
Yes, but you don't pay retail. Your customers do.
I know, if a person can afford a Goldwing, they can afford the parts to maintain it.
But not everyone buys a big bucks brand new Goldwing.

There really aren't that many Honda dealers around any more.
To me, DOT4 is DOT4.
And any oil that meets Honda's specs is good enough for me.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is what it is now. Did the clutch fluid today. Relatively easy but I did struggle a bit to keep the hose on the bleeder valve. The cross member that holds the charcoal (?) canister in place kept the drain hose from slipping over the bleeder valve correctly. I managed to make it work. FWIW Greg the only thing imprinted on my reservoir lids are eagles from a previous owner. Also our local Honda motorcycle dealer is closed and locked due to the Plague but the local Honda car dealership is open for business!?!? Go figure.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You should be just fine. I've been using Valvoline Synthetic Dot 3&4 in my last three Wings over the last 20 years with no issues. In doing my research, synthetic brake fluid is supposed to be less prone to absorbing moisture. Here in Ohio, our bikes sit for 4-6 months in hibernation with all kinds of temperature changes. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I too have been using the Castrol "Synthetic" (so called) Dot 4 for years in my brake and clutch systems on many bikes, and never had an issue of any kind. The "Silicone" stuff is the bad one for our purposes.
FWIW, I use a Vacuum Bleeder to perform these tasks...very easy !

·
Registered
787 Posts
You should be just fine. I've been using Valvoline Synthetic Dot 3&4 in my last three Wings over the last 20 years with no issues. In doing my research, synthetic brake fluid is supposed to be less prone to absorbing moisture. Here in Ohio, our bikes sit for 4-6 months in hibernation with all kinds of temperature changes. Just my two cents.
The documentation on the top of the clutch fluid reservoir says to use only DOT 4 fluid from an unopened container.

·
Registered
49 Posts
DOT 3 brake fluid is compatible with DOT 4 brake fluid. However, DOT 4 offers a higher boiling point. DOT 5.1 is used in high-performance and heavy-duty applications due to its high boiling point. ... DOT 5 brake fluid is silicone, meaning it doesn't absorb water.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts