GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read the manual and watched Fred's DVD'S would just like to hear from someone who did this recently.How to bleed/flush clutch,i am probably going to do it like doing brakes on a car,remove old fluid replace with new,pump handle.hold,crack bleeder close repeat until I see clear fluid,keeping a close on on fluid in master cylinder,my peep hole on master cylinder has all kinds of crap in it..Just had it done last year by a dealer,not sure if he did a complete flush looking at this,or maybe thats how these bikes are.But it needs it BAD.Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
That's it. Not a big deal. I use a speed bleeder to make it a little faster, but if you have some one to help pump the clutch and keep the reservoir full, your way will work just fine.

Be sure to cover all the plastic under the clutch reservoir. Brake fluid can do some serious damage to the plastic.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Someone posted about a dealer that just sucked the fluid out of the master cylinder and refill it, and call it good, maybe that's what your dealer did on the last change.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I plan on covering EVERYTHING,,really really good.I hope its that easy!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someone posted about a dealer that just sucked the fluid out of the master cylinder and refill it, and call it good, maybe that's what your dealer did on the last change.

I am thinking that..:evil:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I bleed all fluids every two years, except for the oil of course. No big deal, be patient, and you will be fine. Only suggestion I have is, check your brake pads. If they are badly worn, replace them BEFORE you flush and fill the fluid resevoirs.

·
Registered
654 Posts
pretty simple task. I use a mityvac and bleed the brakes at the same time.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doing just the clutch this time.brakes were done..bleed.fluid replaced and new pads.My first time doing the clutch.had it done once but prefer to do it myself this time so I know its correct.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Did mine the other day, used one of those air assisted one man brake bleeders from Griots Garage. Unit worked real good. Changing the fluid made a huge difference on shifting, but mine was over due.:eek:4:

Mike

·
Registered
818 Posts
I would suggest as others have that you try to suck out some of the old fluid from the reservoir before you add new. Just remember to not take it down all the way. Leave the port covered with fluid to keep air out. It's not as big a deal with the clutch since there is only one bleeder for the system, but it makes it easier not to get air in to begin with.

The clutch bleeder is the hardest to get to. I assume you have a piece of hose to fit over the bleeder and are draining into some sort of reservoir. Your options are to have two people to do the bleed or to use something like the Motion Pro one way valve bleeder or a Speed Bleeder.

There aren't a lot of painted parts down there to worry about. Just make sure you cover the area around the reservoir. (That saved me recently when the bottle slipped from my hands.)

Having done it a number of times by the book, then with the Motion Pro and now with the Speed Bleeders, I would suggest going ahead and getting the Speed Bleeders and doing that while you are there. You will be so glad you did next time.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the help and suggestions.I sucked the old fluid out cleaned the master cylinder and attached a hose to bleeder and did it the old fashion way and just keep adding fluid and bleeding until fluid was clear.Was pretty east did my bike and my friends in 2 hrs.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Bag it

Take a Glad tall white kitchen plastic trash bag and punch a small hole in the bottom of it. Then before you take the clutch reservoir lid off pull the reservoir though the hole and down below the seal line by about 1/2 an inch. Makes a perfect tight seal around the reservoir with lots of extra protection for the bike.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats how I did it,worked like a charm

·
Registered
368 Posts
I just did all my fluids yesterday(oil &filter, coolant, clutch and brakes) and used the Motion Pro Brake Bleeder and it worked great. I've never done the clutch of brakes myself, and with Fred's DVD instruction and the Motion Pro, it worked out very nicely. I didn't bother to suck out the old fluid, as the reservoirs were clean. I just opened the bleeder valves and pumped using the clutch/brake lever and then the brake pedal - in the proper order of course. A very easy service in my opinion.

Scott

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyone know the proper position of the handlebars so the clutch master cylinder is at its level point,I have filled the resovoir,however when the bike is leaned on side stand and in the locked position,I have a bubble in the sight glass showing the fluid may be low.I want to be sure as to not overfill it and have it seep out.I really dont see this as a issue but want to check.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Anyone know the proper position of the handlebars so the clutch master cylinder is at its level point,I have filled the resovoir,however when the bike is leaned on side stand and in the locked position,I have a bubble in the sight glass showing the fluid may be low.I want to be sure as to not overfill it and have it seep out.I really dont see this as a issue but want to check.
Bike on center stand with handlebars centered.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So,thats basically what I did,the res full line does not have fluid all the way around,some spots higher than others,and that bubble is not a issue then??

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you

1 - 20 of 29 Posts