GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last few days, I have noticed that my clutch lever does not fully release, or extend back out. Similar to another recent thread, this causes my cruise control to not turn on unless I pushed the lever out.

This morning, the lever was really "sticky". I took it off and cleaned it, no change. There is a little rod that is pushed in by the lever. It came out, and the end was a little sticky. Is this something that should have a little grease on it, or should it be sticky (even more than it is)?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Have you changed your clutch fluid? Also the brass bushing inside your clutch handle pivot could be all gummed up.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Seals on internal Master push piston are sticking, spring does not push out hard enough.

Rebuild or put a kit in the clutch master.

Kit

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I know that there has been a flury of this suggestion lately but...If your clutch fluid reservior was overfull combined with clutch wear you could end up with a situation that would not completely release the clutch.

Jeff...

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
There should be grease at the pivot bushing and at the barrel that moves the piston in the clutch master cylinder. Clean up whatever the sticky stuff is and put some grease in.

If you have never greased these before, there is a chance there is wear present.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The levers are not OEM, they are chrome.

I have never changed the fluid in there.

I removed the lever again and there was more "grime" on it. I cleaned it and the hole where the little rod goes in to. I lubed all the parts with white lithium grease.

The lever moves freely, but it will just not go out that extra little bit. When I push it out with my fingers, I can hear the click of the cruise control switch.

Seals on internal Master push piston are sticking, spring does not push out hard enough.

Rebuild or put a kit in the clutch master.

Kit
Sounds like a plan.

Thanks!

·
Registered
464 Posts
After market (chrome) levers are known to be problematic causing just the sort of problem you are describing. If you are the one that just swapped the OEM with aftermarket. I think taking them back to the dealer and putting the OEM levers back is a good idea.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The chrome levers were installed when I bought the bike new in 2006. The bike has 25k miles and at least half of that is touring miles where I did not use the clutch a lot.

Does it sound reasonable that maybe it is just time for the fluid to be replaced or do I need new master cylinder parts. The brake lever is also a little squishy (about the same amount of play as the clutch), but there is enough "spring" to push it all the way back out.

I do not have the knowledge, the tools or any area to do it myself. Service dept wants $200 to replace the clutch and brake fluid. Is that a bit high?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The chrome levers were installed when I bought the bike new in 2006. The bike has 25k miles and at least half of that is touring miles where I did not use the clutch a lot.

Does it sound reasonable that maybe it is just time for the fluid to be replaced or do I need new master cylinder parts. The brake lever is also a little squishy (about the same amount of play as the clutch), but there is enough "spring" to push it all the way back out.

I do not have the knowledge, the tools or any area to do it myself. Service dept wants $200 to replace the clutch and brake fluid. Is that a bit high?

Thanks!
Did you get my PM?

·
Vendor
19,756 Posts
Does it sound reasonable that maybe it is just time for the fluid to be replaced or do I need new master cylinder parts.
Thanks!
It is posssibly since required mainatance is changing brake and clutch fluid every 12k. But that is probably not your problem. Adding aftermarket stuff is always the most likely cause. Do you have your old OEM levers to try?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
You can change levers all you wish, silver ones, gold ones, whittle some out of sticks, and yes if they do not return properly the cruise will not work.

But why is the lever not properly returning?

You can oil and grease and even change the brass lever bushing, as if it is worn yes it may not work well with the cruise......but it will return.

You can change the fluid 29 times, but the lever will not return.

As for the sticky part of the little exterior plunger rod, try some good white grease on that. It should not be sticky, the grease has simply dried and became gummy.

If the lever is actually not springing back out firmly and quickly it is simply because the inner master piston is sticking and not fully returning to the full open position. It has a spring inside the master behind it and it has an inner and inner rubber seal. If the seals become torn, corroded or for whatever reason do not allow the spring to fully push the lever to full return, that is the problem .

Now if you are talking about a tiny bit of play, this is not it, a bit of play is normal, not a lot, just a little so a worn lever bushing or sticking exterior plunger could cause this.

But if you pull the lever in and let it snap loose and it does not fully return, it is the master.

Kit

·
Registered
927 Posts
I just when through the same thing on my 06. I had to push the clutch lever forward the get the cruise control to engage. This happened early into to our 5600 mile trip in Sept. When we got back I gave the cruise control switch a good cleaning but it did not fix the problem. I then noticed that the clutch lever had a lot of play in it both fore & aft and up & down. I found that Rocky has a friend that makes the clutch & brake lever bushings (you can't get them from Honda) and a tool for removal and installation for $20 including shipping. So I replaced the clutch bushing that was badly worn. The clutch lever action is much better but still no luck setting the cruise control. Next I went to the local dealer and bought a new switch for $19 including tax and 5 minutes later the cruise control sets normally. I do notice that by carefully watching and listening to the clutch lever (while stopped) that lever reaches its full travel and then the small spring that is part of clutch travel unit expands then the switch goes click and then activates.
Ken

·
Vendor
19,756 Posts
You can change levers all you wish, silver ones, gold ones, whittle some out of sticks, and yes if they do not return properly the cruise will not work.

But why is the lever not properly returning?
Everything else (lubed, no worn piviots, clean fluid) can be correct but the levers are just to heavy. The OEM ones are incredably light compared to the aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
316 Posts
200 seems high to me. All clutch and brake fluids should be changed every 12k or 2 years. You may have a master cylinder problem that will need to be kitted to fix.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts