GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my ‘18 Tour manual. The clutch is dealing me fits compared to my ‘07 wing. The friction zone is very small before full engagement. And it doesn’t seem to have any free play.

Is this the way they all are or do I need an adjustment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,551 Posts
You can adjust the clutch lever with the adjustor cam like with the old model to fit your hand a bit better but the clutch feel is different with the new wing and its easier to stall the bike at first.... but you will adapt to the new clutch feel and then you will wonder why you had any issue at first. I have no issue at all with the way the clutch feels.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The only adjustment for is on page 167 of the manual.
Adjustment method
Turn the adjuster until the numbers align
with the index mark while pushing the lever
forward in the desired position.
After adjustment, check that the lever
operates correctly before riding.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Bad news, the only fix for those is to ride your bike more and get used to it. Oh, wait....that isn't bad news.

But seriously short friction zones on hydraulic clutches is pretty common.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Try using sport mode instead of tour. The throttle is much more responsive which will help keep from stalling. It took me 500 miles to get used to the clutch but now it's second nature. I use sport mode 100% of the time.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
This is a "get used to it" deal. The "slipper" clutch seems to also be a "gripper" clutch and when you start to get into the friction zone, it wants to grip a little bit more - thus the very small friction zone. One item I noticed is if I wind up the RPM a little while I am in the friction zone, the clutch lever pressure changes while the clutch tries to grip more from the extra RPM.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Bad news, the only fix for those is to ride your bike more and get used to it. Oh, wait....that isn't bad news.
Agreed. When I got the bike, I stalled it twice in the first month, May 2018, because the clutch doesn't begin to engage until the lever is almost all the way out. As the 2018 season progressed, I got used to the clutch. Now it's not an issue. Same with the horn button. :wink2: You will learn and adapt.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Try using sport mode instead of tour. The throttle is much more responsive which will help keep from stalling. It took me 500 miles to get used to the clutch but now it's second nature. I use sport mode 100% of the time.
Same here, sport mode all the time. But I do it to stay used to it. Only using it while being sporty created a lot of over acel and decel. Now I am very smooth with it and quite comfortable.

It's all about muscle memory

·
Registered
174 Posts
When I first picked up my 2018 GWT6, the clutch lever was on "5" and it resulted in almost instantaneous engagement...which I didn't like. I moved the adjustment cam to "3", and it made an immediate improvement (for me). I left the front brake lever on "5" because I want my brakes engaging sooner instead of later!

·
Registered
117 Posts
cbeam - I posted the response below on a previous clutch thread. Hope it helps you.

"I totally shared your pain. I loved the redesign and wanted the lightest/simplest version, so I went with the base 6 speed. Looking into the future at 73 years of age, ease of maintenance (I do my own) and lighter weight were priorities for me. After 10 years on Wings, clutch issues never occurred to me as a possible issue on the 2018. It was!! My 2012 clutch was a dream to operate. With the 2018, I was stalling once or twice on virtually every outing. Annoying and embarrassing! To be honest, for many months I was wondering if selling my dialed in, low mileage 2012 was a huge mistake.

Take heart! I've had the bike for 1 year this month. The clutch is much easier for me now. I think it is for the following reasons: 1) I put the lever at 5 for sooner engagement. 2) I eventually learned where to expect the friction zone and it's characteristics (narrower?) 3) I now know I need to be more conscious of a smooth start from rest, so I don't try to engage like I did/could with the 2102. I have to be more deliberate. And 4) I really think the clutch has actually worn in. It does not grab like it used to in my estimation.

I'm no clutch plates expert, so I don't know if I'm right about the wear. It does seem to me to work better. (Or maybe it is just my year of practice!!) One thing though - the 6 speed transmission is absolutely sweet!! Love it!!

Hang in there!"

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
871 Posts
What is this "clutch lever" you speak of?

:D

Reactions: GRB60

·
Registered
409 Posts
I don't have the 6 speed, but on other bikes I have found it useful to grab the clutch lever further out toward the end. It tames the clutch a little. It gives you more leverage while slowing down the engagement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts