GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I started my 2010 wing yesterday and as soon as I started it it started moving with the clutch lever pulled all the way in. It has been sitting for a couple of weeks and was fine when I parked it. Is there an adjustment or a way to adjust the clutch so I can resolve this issue? It has 43k on it. Thanks!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had a similar issue with mine, which sat for way too long. For me, flushing the clutch fluid sorted it out. It's not too difficult to do if you're handy; the lower cowl has to come off and the charcoal canister. Flush it just like you would the brakes.

It's not clear to me why yours would go south after just a couple of weeks, but it's fairly easy to do the flush and see what's what.

Good luck!

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
Hey everyone, I started my 2010 wing yesterday and as soon as I started it it started moving with the clutch lever pulled all the way in. It has been sitting for a couple of weeks and was fine when I parked it. Is there an adjustment or a way to adjust the clutch so I can resolve this issue?
In the repair industry, it is call called "clutch creep." Yes there is an adjustment for it, and it is easy to do. I've listed the path below. Also, be sure that the clutch fluid is changed at least every 12k per the Maintenance Schedule, and the levers are removed, inspected, and cleaned every 8k.

Owner's Manual > index > clutch system > clutch lever adjustment

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
Does the clutch ever have to be replaced?
Yes ... but our Wings have a beefy clutch pack. Most all the ones I've replaced are because the owner was using a synthetic oil. I currently have one in for ADG repair, and his clutch pack is getting replaced because of a blueing clutch plate. Blueing happens because of heat, and synthetic oils are known to cause a clutch to be in its friction zone longer the conventional oil. The longer a clutch is in its frictions zone the hotter the plates get. He too was using a synthetic oil.

Attached is a picture of his clutch pack. There are 7 clutch plates. It's pretty easy to tell which one is "blued."

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I began working on the bike to see why the clutch is not working properly, opened up the resevoir and there is no fluid in it at all. There must be a leak.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yes ... but our Wings have a beefy clutch pack. Most all the ones I've replaced are because the owner was using a synthetic oil. I currently have one in for ADG repair, and his clutch pack is getting replaced because of a blueing clutch plate. Blueing happens because of heat, and synthetic oils are known to cause a clutch to be in its friction zone longer the conventional oil. The longer a clutch is in its frictions zone the hotter the plates get. He too was using a synthetic oil.

Attached is a picture of his clutch pack. There are 7 clutch plates. It's pretty easy to tell which one is "blued."
You think it would be okay to switch back to Honda oil after using synthetic for some time

·
Registered
337 Posts
There will be no repercussions switching back and using the correct oil.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Thanks guy's for the info on the oil.To be truthful I never went more than 5,000 miles on the synthetic
So I might as well use Honda oil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts