GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Developed a grinding noise in my wing. Could be one or two things causing it. I suspect the alternator bushings, [compufire alternator] or clutch bearings. Clutch does not slipped when put under extreme pressure. Voltage to battery seems to go down when running engine at higher RPM and when engine idles voltage goes up. When the clutch or alternator is under pressure, there is a whinning/grinding noise comming from under the bike. cannot locate where it is comming from. Alternator is on the left side and clutch on right.

When idling in neutral, no noise at all from either one. cannot drive it and stick my head into the engine compartment to hear where it is comming from. Anyone have such an experience with a 1500 in their day????????? Roger

·
Rocket Man
1,558 Posts
Developed a grinding noise in my wing. Could be one or two things causing it. I suspect the alternator bushings, [compufire alternator] or clutch bearings. Clutch does not slipped when put under extreme pressure. Voltage to battery seems to go down when running engine at higher RPM and when engine idles voltage goes up. When the clutch or alternator is under pressure, there is a whinning/grinding noise comming from under the bike. cannot locate where it is comming from. Alternator is on the left side and clutch on right.

When idling in neutral, no noise at all from either one. cannot drive it and stick my head into the engine compartment to hear where it is comming from. Anyone have such an experience with a 1500 in their day????????? Roger
Roger:

1500s are noted for alternator problems. It's not bad to get at so maybe you should remove it and check it out. If it's a bearing then just replace that but while your in there clean it up and maybe change out the brushes. Not a big job but you do have to solder a couple of connections.

I kinda doubt it's a clutch issue. Never heard of a Gold Wing clutch problem before so I'd check out the alternator first.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
:agree:Most likely alternator. Do not continue to ride it without doing a repair or at least having it checked out. It will leave you on the side of a road somewhere. Don't ask me how I know this!!:eek:4:

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had bike alternator [Compufire alternator] checked out this morning at an alternator repair shop. Said bearing at back a little noisy but not contributing to all the growling noise I hear. Went to a motorcycle shop and he checked alternator for noise and said same thing. Clutch bearing is the culprit. This shop would not touch bike because it is triked and he does not like compufire alternators or Lehman trikes.

Went to another bike shop, said alternator ok and that the bearings in Compufire alternators are a bit noisy. Figure that out. He then went to the clutcha nd tried out the trike in the yard. Came back and I got down real close to the clutch and when he let out the clutch there was a bit of a growl there. Preceded to tell me it was the bearing behind the clutch and engine would have to come out of bike and be split in half to replacwe bearing. Four to five thousand dollar job. There is a bearing behind the clutch which the trans push shaft runs true. I believe it is this bearing that needs replacement,. If you go to Honda Direct Parts and go to GL1500 SE clutch, the clutch fiche parts comes up. Look for number 21 and it is the bearing I beleive needs replacing. Opinions please. Do not want to spend four or five thousand dollars on a 2000 Goldwing SE. I would also need to rebuild this engine once torn apart. That is included in the price. Think I am going to go to my bedroom, pulled a temper tamtrum, and then have a really, supper, super good cry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Roger

·
Rocket Man
1,558 Posts
Goodness, that's terrible news. I've never had a 1500 engine out and apart but they may be right. Get a couple more opinions first before committing to anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts