GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Honda Gold wing with a Hannigan kit. Lately I've been having a problem shifting from 1st to 2nd gear and the problem gets worse as the bike heats up. All of the fluid levels are ok and the clutch switches are also. when I start the bike with the clutch pulled in all the way it will creep forward slowly when I rev the engine. anyone have some advice, it would be much appreciated. The clutch switches operate as I've said but the second one operates just before the lever reaches the end of it's travel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Welcome to the board!

A clutch fluid purge and refill should be in your future. A thorough bleed should eliminate your creeping issue. Your switches sound as if they are working correctly. The first click is the cruise cancel switch and should click at the beginning of the clutch lever throw. The second allows the starter system to work with the bike in gear and the clutch fully activated. You don’t want that one to click until the lever is nearly against the grip.

Let us know how you come out...

:thumbup:

Reactions: cycledude

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Welcome to the board!

A clutch fluid purge and refill should be in your future. A thorough bleed should eliminate your creeping issue. Your switches sound as if they are working correctly. The first click is the cruise cancel switch and should click at the beginning of the clutch lever throw. The second allows the starter system to work with the bike in gear and the clutch fully activated. You don’t want that one to click until the lever is nearly against the grip.

Let us know how you come out...

do you have a link to a procedure for the clutch fluid change?

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Due to being overseas, internet access for me, currently, is a challenge. Someone will be along momentarily... might I suggest you consider an investment in Fred Harmon’s how-to videos if you are increasing your commitment to self-service?

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
821 Posts
May need to adjust the numbered dial on the clutch lever for more pull in distance. I do not remember which way is which on the numbers. My clutch tends to want to creep in real cold weather, but stops after a minute or so.

·
Vendor
17,823 Posts
All of the fluid levels are ok and the clutch switches are also. when I start the bike with the clutch pulled in all the way it will creep forward slowly when I rev the engine. anyone have some advice, it would be much appreciated.
My thoughts:
- What oil are you using ??? 5th gens operate best when using Honda's conventional GN4.
- If you have aftermarket fat grips, and levers, 5th gens also operate best with OEM grips and levers.
- Be sure to remove your clutch lever, and inspect the boot at the back of the m/c, the pivot pin, the pin's pivot bushing in the lever, and the brass bushing. If no tears or gulling, Honda says to lube with silicone paste.
- If the clutch fluid has not been changed in the last 24months/12k whichever is the soonest, bleed the system with new fluid.
- Since your actual complaint is clutch creep, do the clutch lever adjustment as outlined in the Owner's Manual. The path is Owner's Manual > index > clutch system > clutch lever adjustment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First off I would like to thank everyone for all of the advice. I finally buttoned everything up, the hardest part of this whole endeavor was reinstalling the lower cowl what a royal pain. I finally lined everything up bu screwing long screws into the upper part of the cowl and a alignment tool and then screwing the other screws in and finally removing the alignment screws and replacing them with the proper screw. I certainly gave my salty vocabulary a workout. The clutch fluid was really bad, I went through several exchanges before it was clear. I am very fussy about maintenance and everytime I dropped the bike off for a checkup I had them change all fluids (or so I thought). I am 76 Yrs old and getting up and down is not a walk in the park for me but it appears that I didn't get my moneys worth when I took it in for maintenance. One last thing when I took it out for a test ride the clutch worked great but (wait for it) the radio no longer works. Do the wires run in back of the cowl anywhere? Thanks again everyone, Semper Paratus, Bill Kasparek

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
You didn’t punch the mute button on the clutch side switch pod, did you?

·
Vendor
17,823 Posts
Glad your clutch/transmission is working good again.

As for your radio, is it turned on ???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts