GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well, I'm out of ideas. I tried to use clutch lever and fluid pressure to no avail. I then tried to use a chisel to drive between the slave cylinder and transmission(?). It is deforming the aluminum on the tranny side and still the slave hasn't moved one hair. I'm open to any suggestions. Thank you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
I'm down to thinking of rotational force dowels or not. like a pipe wrench or monster size vice grips or pipe wrench and breaker bar or some way to get some serious leverage and lightly bounce that leverage to try to unseize. I'm open to anything else you guys could suggest. Also some way to heat slave cylinders surroundings? Idle the bike for 20 minutes? I'm all ears and desperate. Thank you all much.

·
Vendor
18,992 Posts
Same as crabby winger I was losing brake fluid out of the weep hole and also I lose l clutch lever shortly after bleeding, which is what led me to discover the drip at the weep hole.
How many miles ???

If your slave cylinder is leaking fluid, and because of its age, I'd replace it. It might need a m/c, clutch lever, and pivot pin to as PM.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Billy - Almost embarrassed to write this. After reading all of your problems, this AM I decided to not wait for the parts and try to get mine to come apart or??????? Again sorry to tell you that after four or so days of soaking with PB Blaster, I removed all the bolts and tugged slightly and there was my clutch slave out. I would be less than honest to say that the PB Blaster had not gotten into and under the cover. The bolts had some indication of the blaster getting in the holes but that was it. I sincerely hope the you are finally able to get the slave cylinder out. If you feel the need to vent, feel free to send me a PM, and let me have it LOL. Maybe time for this old GL owner, to buy a Lotto ticket. Going to keep following this thread and wishing the very best of luck to you.

·
Vendor
18,992 Posts
Good advice. If I get this out I'll plan on a new one
I would not use heat.

Worst case it that the transmission cover will need to come off, and deal with separating the slave from the cover that way. That means you'll be out the add'l cost of trans cover gasket, oil, oil filter, crush washer, and a small tube of HondaBond4.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Warming up an item for removal isn’t for everyone. I’ll give ya that. if you don’t know how to do it safely, then you shouldn’t. but after you suffer through old parts removal several times, you learn.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I got it out.

Thank you all so much for your help!

What worked for me was I went and bought a 6 inch long bolt and a large washer and threaded it into the banjo bolt hole. Then I took the smallest air chisel I could find at H.F. and got it in straight enough to vibrate the assembly out by putting the chisel against the washer and head of bolt and vibrating towards the front tire. Hope this can help somebody else. Thanks to everyone again!

In my previous hours of ineptness, driving a chisel into the seam, I broke a small piece of the contacting face off the housing side. It's maybe 1/4 inch of the circumference and an 1/8 inch deep. Am I correct in assuming this is not critical because that area holds no fluid and is just a sleeve for the slave cylinder? I was just going to put a little rtv there after putting in the new slave. Thanks in advance for help with this next step.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Congratulations, especially for your perseverance! Hope Greg will give you some suggestions of what is best for your Boo Boo. Take care.

Crabby Bob

·
Vendor
18,992 Posts
In my previous hours of ineptness, driving a chisel into the seam, I broke a small piece of the contacting face off the housing side. It's maybe 1/4 inch of the circumference and an 1/8 inch deep. Am I correct in assuming this is not critical because that area holds no fluid and is just a sleeve for the slave cylinder? I was just going to put a little rtv there after putting in the new slave. Thanks in advance for help with this next step.
Glad you got your slave out. As for the hole in the trans cover. It needs replaced. You can either get a new one or a used one for about $30 from eBay.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Awesome!!! Dang that was very trying.
a while ago I was going to mention Peanut Butter blaster as Crabby used, but wondered if it would really work. I know it has NEVER let me down although waiting for it to do its’ magic isn’t my greatest virtue

·
Registered
936 Posts
Congrats on getting yours working. I'm still waiting on the parts to get my old girl going. This is the reason that this is the best Goldwiing board on the inter web. Take care.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts