GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having ridden professionally in the past, I learned all about riding technique and slipping the clutch to perform tight u-turns and other maneuvers. My old yamaha could slip the clutch from the fully engaged position :wrong: but this new wing has such a tight clutch and short engagement it seems difficult for me to find that sweet spot. For some maneuvers I can just about idle through with no brake and no throttle but I sill feel I need more throttle and brake control to do tight u-turns. Can anyone provide any pointers in this area? I know I need to get out and practice more with it but weather has been less than cooperative. So far I have only been able toride 492 miles. :frown: Is there a trick on these supurbly refined manufacturing marvels?

·
Registered
144 Posts
The best thing I can tell you from coming from a Yamaha Roadstar is this Wing is differnt but not by much. What I usually do is get the bike going and pick your feet up, ride the rear brake and slip the clutch I usually do it at 1500 rpms or so and use the clutch and rear brake to modulate your speed.
One other trick is to dip the bike to the outside of the turn and then turn in it makes your turn sharper.
Look up Ride Like a Pro DVD on youtube and you can learn some valuable pointers there.
One thing I have learned about the wing is if you keep the power on and don't get on the front brake, she will do about anything you ask..
:doorag:
Jordan

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seen the ride like a pro videos, went through Police motor training twice, once on a Kawasaki KZ1000 (ah what a horse) and once on a Hogly david's son. Rode Motors for five years and worked those techniques daily. I know all the techniques in that respect, but to me it seems like the Honda just doesn't slip the clutch well. Maybe it's just gonna have to have a few more miles on it or maybe it's just going to take a lot more practice to find that little tiny area of slippage.

I guess what I am asking is Is it just me or do others find that the clutch is more precise and doesn't slip as much?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sorry, Yes teh Honda has a weird feeling to it it catches immediatley. It will loosen some as you get more miles on it but not much. Mine has 2100 miles on it so far.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
When I took the "Ride Like the Pro" course, the first thing Jerry told me to do was use 2nd gear for all the maneuvers. Remember the GW has linked brakes and long travel for the clutch. This method is what I use in slow turns and tight maneuvers.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Try using second gear instead of first. Plenty of power, clutch much more subtle in second. Just have to remember to leave it in two.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Bubba, Thats what I am feeling - that near instant engagement. It's great for just riding but hard to get used to and so far difficult to adjust to when trying to to tight maneuvers.

John, Jafi, Wow! Thats good info. Never thought of that. My ol yami would just dump in second as in shudder and die! I'll try that. Thanks. I love this place already. Now if I could just get that to, too, two, 2 thing straite. LOL I crack me up!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
First of all I envy your training. I would kill for the chance to take the motor training.

With that said, I'm an MSF instructor and get the chance to play on the range frequently. I'm still trying to get comfortable in second gear which has been recommended so primarily use first but understand the really good guys use second.

I am able to run figure eights two up with my wife in 18 feet using first, "setting" the throttle and feathering the rear.

Two things to remember / think about.

1. Most importantly, the wing has linked brakes and if you get on the rear too hard the fronts come on and it's just like grabbing the front in a slow speed turn. Ask me how I know. With practice though I have become able to feel what I think is the proportioning valve just before the fronts come on so know that is the limit.

2. Adjust the play in the throttle. Had that pointed out to me by a retired motor officer friend of mine while working on the range. I had not noticed the cable had stretched and it was actually quite sloppy. I remember adjusting it when it was new and too loose from the factory. Even though I prefer to stage and leave the throttle alone there are times when a little mid-maneuver tweaking is in order.

Not having experience with all the different bikes you have, I find there is quite a bit of friction zone to play with. May be just getting used to the wing and I do find I play the brake and sometimes the throttle. Perhaps that's my crutch for a less than great friction zone length and I just don't know better

·
Registered
801 Posts
The key for me is the use of 2nd gear for slow speed manuvers. There is Sooooo much more torque on the wing than any other bike I've ever ridden that I had the same problem until I started using 2nd. That seems more like what I was used to in 1st with other bikes.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys! I'm gonna try all this out as soon as I get some time off. Lucky 7, do you just pour the 20w50 on the ground and then dump the clutch?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
oil

That would be one way to get it smoking hold your left arm in the air and go round and round in about 8 feet.
Jack in the snow

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
For slow speed manuvers, hold throttle steady, and control speed with the clutch.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
most Goldwing bikes come with a lot of slop in the throttle cable
.. the "book" says adjust to about 1/4 inch of play

... I prefer "zero" play

check your throttle slop ... it's very easy to adjust.

Dennis

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Thanks guys! I'm gonna try all this out as soon as I get some time off.
ksiceman, How do you have your clutch lever adjusted, what number? I found I had to play with it to get the feel I wanted...

·
Registered
144 Posts
No problem, It will be smoother in second, first gear makes the bike somewhat jumpy. It just takes practice.
Jordan
Thanks Bubba, Thats what I am feeling - that near instant engagement. It's great for just riding but hard to get used to and so far difficult to adjust to when trying to to tight maneuvers.

John, Jafi, Wow! Thats good info. Never thought of that. My ol yami would just dump in second as in shudder and die! I'll try that. Thanks. I love this place already. Now if I could just get that to, too, two, 2 thing straite. LOL I crack me up!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm new to Goldwings.

Having said that, I took the ERC last fall and coud barely do the ERC in their box (I belive 24 ft). Had an instructor that did it on his wing at about 10 mph, looked great.

Practiced since then and am doing smaller diameters.

Have tried differnet techinques and still trying what works best for me.

Sometimes 1st and sometimes 2nd.

I found that for me reg risers with the set back and narrower handlebars have helped since I have short arms.

All Balls have made the slow speed steering imputs smoother and slow manuevers more controllable.

I think, that finding the 'sweet spot" on the clutch is a problem for most newer riders to the Goldwing since slipping is such a narrow band.

Practice Practice Practice

·
Registered
365 Posts
It took me a while to get the feel of the clutch on mine. But I find, on mine at least, that once I get the bike going, I can pull the clutch in a considerable amount and find the "friction" zone. Then for me again, it is just a matter of holding the RPM's and using the clutch in the zone, which is pulled almost all the way in.

As for using the rear brake, in slow turns have, starting early with the brake on, has not giving me any funny feeling sin the front end, even though I am sure that some front brake is applied.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ksiceman, How do you have your clutch lever adjusted, what number? I found I had to play with it to get the feel I wanted...
Ummm. I was at 3 then went to 1 then 5 and now I am not sure where it is. Been hunting around looking for the best feel for me. I'm not sure where I had it last night, but it felt pretty good. I tend to like the feel of the clutch releasing closer to grip. I just broke 500 miles so maybe it's a matter of getting used to the feel. Didn't get a chance to try the second gear turns last night but I am hoping this weekend to find a parking lot and just play for awhile.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts