GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's RM250. He comes in the house and tells my his tranny is gone. I go out there and start to pull the motor but decide to have a look my self. I notice the clutch is stuck. Take it apart and see this:

It is a 6 month old Hinson basket. I think that is the problem as the clutch is working but the plates failed to "disengage."

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Buc,

I don't know in this case but on old British bikes, the plate tabs will beat indentions in the basket and even with the pressure plate released, with the tabs still in the "valleys", the plates don't want to release...especially while in a bind or under load. On the old Brits, it was a sure sign that a cush drive had disentigrated or the rubbers in it were rock hard. In those days, we'd take a file to the indentions and re-space the clutch pack to keep the tabs out of the grooves....for a while, anyway.

The hub looks like it has taken some beating but if the basket is that new, I'd question whether are not it was properly hardened.

Good luck with your project.

Z

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I agree with the soft part.
Hinson usually makes some good stuff.
I'd let them take a look at that.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
  • I called Hinson, they said send it in and maybe they'll "help me out" if I buy a new one from them. I'm not complaining as this bike is rode very hard (he is a B rider) and I expect no warranty, not to mention I amaze myself at how many times I still buy after after market knowing that OEM always lasts better but I continue to save a few dollars so I can spent a lot more a few months later. ALWAYS BUY OEM is my motto. I just wish I'd follow it.
2 strokes are easier on hardware too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts