GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 had done this twice now, after I start the bike and let it run for about a minute or so, I pull in the clutch and put it in gear and the bike starts going before I can release the clutch handle! After I pump the clutch handle a few times and it gets warmer everything is fine. Any suggestions on what may cause this? I have my clutch handle set at number one.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'd take it back to your dealer. If nothing else document that you are have an issue with the clutch.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Repost from the Tech board.

Have the dealer bleed out the clutch.It's creeping forward because the trapped air isn't allowing the clutch pin to fully release the clutch pack.

What it's doing now is the same thing as if you would release the lever and the clutch starts to grab.Removing the air will solve the problem.

Take it to the dealer "warranty"

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Have the dealer bleed out the clutch.It's creeping forward because the trapped air isn't allowing the clutch pin to fully release the clutch pack.

What it's doing now is the same thing as if you would release the lever and the clutch starts to grab.Removing the air will solve the problem.

Thanks Rocky!!! I am taking it in to the dealer and let them deal with it!:thumbup:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It only does it when the bike is cold on first start up! After it reaches warm up temps it does fine!

·
Registered
270 Posts

:agree:

Try that 1st. If that doesnt work, let the dealer figure it out and stay on them until they do.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Having the same problem

Didn't notice this problem before I got my 2012 home and installed my "ergo" chrome clutch and brake handles off my 02, thought it wasn't allowing enough travel on the lever due to the clutch being adjusted for the thin "factory" handles (I had the dealer install the Kury heated grips before delivery) but I guess I'm not the only one. And like everyone else is saying, after the bike even moderately warms up, the problem is over, only when moving the bike out of the garage in the morning prior to riding will it do this.

I'm a truckdriver and notice that the clutch on the Peterbilt I drive performs somewhat differently after it reaches operating temperature, wonder if this could apply to the clutch on a Wing, or a motorcycle in general? Put over 60K on my 02 and NEVER had this problem:eek:4:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didn't notice this problem before I got my 2012 home and installed my "ergo" chrome clutch and brake handles off my 02, thought it wasn't allowing enough travel on the lever due to the clutch being adjusted for the thin "factory" handles (I had the dealer install the Kury heated grips before delivery) but I guess I'm not the only one. And like everyone else is saying, after the bike even moderately warms up, the problem is over, only when moving the bike out of the garage in the morning prior to riding will it do this.

I'm a truckdriver and notice that the clutch on the Peterbilt I drive performs somewhat differently after it reaches operating temperature, wonder if this could apply to the clutch on a Wing, or a motorcycle in general? Put over 60K on my 02 and NEVER had this problem:eek:4:
I also had the after market heated grip covers on and the chrome levers! I took them all off and have every thing back to stock, except I now have the grip puppies on. Anyway, after changing the grips and levers back to stock it solved my problem!!!

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
I would advise anyone who is purchasing a new Gold Wing that the FIRST thing they need to do when they get it home is to bleed the clutch.

Why? Because air in the clutch can cause shifting problems, and shifting problems can turn into expensive transmission damage later on down the road, and for whatever reason, Honda doesn't seem to do a good job at the factory of getting all the air out of it.

Do yourself a favor, and bleed the clutch in your new bike and make sure all the air is out of it. Your bike will shift better and your transmission will last longer.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,200 Posts
I would advise anyone who is purchasing a new Gold Wing that the FIRST thing they need to do when they get it home is to bleed the clutch.

Why? Because air in the clutch can cause shifting problems, and shifting problems can turn into expensive transmission damage later on down the road, and for whatever reason, Honda doesn't seem to do a good job at the factory of getting all the air out of it.

Do yourself a favor, and bleed the clutch in your new bike and make sure all the air is out of it. Your bike will shift better and your transmission will last longer.
Amen! :agree:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just purchased a new 2012 :excited: and I want to take care of her the best I can.
I just ordered the Service Manual from Heim (They have them but its not on their website, you have to call them) and should have it in a couple of days.:thumbup:
Is there a post on the steps to bleed the clutch without making a huge mess..:shock:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I tried searching the how to board but couldnt find anything on the process of bleeding the clutch. :-( Can someone point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Grip Puppies?

I also had the after market heated grip covers on and the chrome levers! I took them all off and have every thing back to stock, except I now have the grip puppies on. Anyway, after changing the grips and levers back to stock it solved my problem!!!
Thanks for replying to my post. I'm only home a day and a half a week (sometimes not that long) and will try to get it to the dealer to have the clutch bled as proscribed (didn't buy it at my local dealer, they'll probably bitch about it). What were the "grip puppies" you mentioned? Love my Kury grips, but don't want any problems, warranty or otherwise, down the line...

Thanks, Jeff Terrell

·
Registered
134 Posts
My 2012 is doing this as well. I've also added the Kuryakyn clamshell grips and chrome levers.

If you have the 2012 Honda Service Manual -- the procedure of bleeding the clutch covered in section 11. If you don't have the manual, I can be of some (limited) assistance. I scanned the entire thing (minus the electrical diagram) into multiple PDF's one day when I was bored.

Sorry to dig up a two week old thread. I thought the problem was worse than it actually is and was limited just to mine.....it's my first Gold Wing, so I'm not familiar with all it's idiosyncrasies just yet.

Phil

1 - 14 of 14 Posts