GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is one better than the other? Quite a difference in price.

I have a CD ROM service manual which has proven invaluable, but with a major winter project coming up, I'd like to have a manual next to me and not have to worry about printing pages or firing up the laptop.

The Clymer manual is all over ebay, but I haven't seen the Honda one there. If the Honda one is much better, I'll just order it from Hal.

Can anyone compare the two manuals?

Thanks.
8)

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I have the Clymer. While I don't get into heavy duty repairs.....like engine removal, I have found that Clymer is dead wrong in some cases. Simple stuff, like removing the lower front cowl bore no resemblence to how it was actually done. Other times, it is on the money. Honda is more expensive, but my next manual will be Honda.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Although not perfect (what is) the Honda manual is supreme.

In defense of Clymer, I have used their books for many years on the many different bikes that I hav owned.

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
You get what you pay for.

For example:
I doubt that the Clymer manual will have the electrical section of ther Honda manual. You only need to to trouble shoot one minor electircal snag and the extra cost of a real Honda maintenance manual will pay for itself.

Also, the photo section is pretty good in the Honda manual.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Jan Kokochak said:
I have the Clymer. While I don't get into heavy duty repairs.....like engine removal, I have found that Clymer is dead wrong in some cases. Simple stuff, like removing the lower front cowl bore no resemblence to how it was actually done. Other times, it is on the money. Honda is more expensive, but my next manual will be Honda.
I second that emotion.

2,732 Posts
So Where

So; if one were to want to purchase the Honda manual, where would one do that and what is the price? I do not want to highjack this thread but just wondering after it looks like that is the recommendation of the majority of owners so far.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Re: So Where

Canyon Dancer in Colorado said:
So; if one were to want to purchase the Honda manual, where would one do that and what is the price? I do not want to highjack this thread but just wondering after it looks like that is the recommendation of the majority of owners so far.
Hello HONDA is king HAL has them if you are not in a hurry wait for a sale!!(thanksgiving :D :D sale :D :D more money for me to pay off :cry: :cry: :cry: )...chuck

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Texan said:
No comparison. Honda is by far the best.
+1

The Clymer might be ok for a secondary reference. I had it and a Haynes for my 1200 and they both had thier pros and cons but the Honda manual is the best.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The factory manuals are always best no matter what make or model you have. The extra cost makes up for itself after just a few repairs.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts

Soloquest said:
Thank you, gentlemen. I'm going to buy the Honda manual. 70 Bucks from Hal.
It appears you have already made your decision... hear me out none-the-less. I have all three: Honda paper, Honda CD and a Clymers. I agree with all the posts that the Honda paper manual is superior to the Clymers. However, in your case, I'd buy the Clymers for the workshop. You already have the Honda manual on CD and can compare it to the Clymers if you need to. Why spend more money if you don't have to?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
chuck_b24 said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-GOLDWING-GL-1800-SERVICE-MANUAL-2001-2002_W0QQitemZ320041492060QQihZ011QQcategoryZ6755QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem :D Here is one on ebay now I have bid on it to keep it in my ebay!! If anyone wants it let me know & I wont bid any more...chuck
Instead of bidding you could have simply clicked on "Watch this item"

·
Registered
8,252 Posts

Wanderer said:
Soloquest said:
Thank you, gentlemen. I'm going to buy the Honda manual. 70 Bucks from Hal.
It appears you have already made your decision... hear me out none-the-less. I have all three: Honda paper, Honda CD and a Clymers. I agree with all the posts that the Honda paper manual is superior to the Clymers. However, in your case, I'd buy the Clymers for the workshop. You already have the Honda manual on CD and can compare it to the Clymers if you need to. Why spend more money if you don't have to?
I missed the part about already having the CD. I agree with Wanderer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts