GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, guys, I figure this has been done to death, but my co-pilot needs your help. She's 5'10" tall, She complains (quitely) about the buffeting she gets at highway speeds on the back of our '02 1800. Is there any combination (and know there are plenty) of windshields and/or air wings that will really help her (and me, if you get my drift) out.

G

·
0 Posts
Radarman,
My Co-rider is also 5'10" tall. We have raised the stock windshield to the bars. and installed transformer passenger boards. this moves her fanny forward thus lowering her head. She claims it is mush better for her. I think its that 6'4" 290lb wind blocker ( me ) in front of her that does the best job. :lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Buffetting

My wife also had a hard time with the wind, I replaced the original windshield with a windbender which really helped her and myself out considerably. And the best part of this windshield is that you can look over and not through it

·
Chard Member
13,060 Posts
Not much I can tell you since my passenger never complains. She has ridden some real junk with me over the last 29 years so she realizes how nice the Wing is. I keep my factory shield at it's lowest point. I sit head and shoulders above the shield.

With that said, make sure your co-pilot has a proper fitting helmet. If her helmet is too large it will beat her up pretty bad. You might consider a faceshield or a fullface helmet for your passenger if they don't care for the wind. If they aren't use to being a paaenger on a bike it might only be solved with the faceshield or helmet!

Good luck in making her happy!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Radarman,

My wife had the same complaint. She is about the same height. The 1800 wing is really her first motorcycle experience.

I went to a Cee Baileys +2 and Tulsa mirror wings. She is very happy now. With the +2 down I can still look over it, with it up she is happy even on windy days.

Not the only solution but it worked for her (and me). I'm a lot happier now (if you get my drift :lol: ).

·
Registered
384 Posts
Buffeting

Radarman,
Our X-Tall windshield and Mirror Air Deflectors will not only reduce the buffeting, but, reduce the wind noise in the intercom.
They will do a better job that any other combination you'll find, I know there are other opinions, but, we've spent a number of years and endless hours and miles of testing to accomplish exactly what you are asking for.
That is the exact reason we got into the manufacturing business, there wasn't anything on the market that made my wife comfortable on the back of our 1500.
Just call us with any questions, and you can order direct from Hal.
Ride Safe
Allen/Tulsa Enterprises

·
Registered
47 Posts
My Co-rider also complained about the buffeting when we first got the wing but what I've added so far seems to have neutrialized the issue for now. To me the Mirror Wings that fit under the mirrors have the most impact on the buffeting problem - I have Bakers. The Fairing Wind Wings are probably second, I have Bakers here also. I have the Tulsa windshield which creates a larger still air pocket than the OEM. People who have Wind Bender and CEE Baileys say they are great also. All the aftermarket windshields will probably control the buffeting better than the OEM. I would start with the wings.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the inputs. Think I'll be able to help her (and me) out. Ya'll ride safe.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I have the Cee Bailey's +4" shield and Tulsa mirror wings. Used to ride with it up all the way and the wings backwards as it did the best job for my wife. Then she got Gerbings. Now I can ride with the +4 down and look over and turn the mirror wings back the right way in 35 degrees. Don't ask me why the Gerbings worked for her, but they did.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I added the Tulsa mirror deflectors and Honda's windshield wings. Took all the wind off my co rider.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Has anybody tried the Honda Fairing side air deflectors?
I havn´t even seen a picture with a bike with these on. Pricy but looks to fit in nice.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Janne said "Has anybody tried the Honda Fairing side air deflectors?
I havn´t even seen a picture with a bike with these on. Pricy but looks to fit in nice."

They look good and work well. However, they have a pivoting bottom and NO pivoting on top. This is backwards in that you never want to rotate the bottom but often want to open the top (in hot weather) and they are very expensive. The V&P setup is very similar but has all parts with pivots.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sam Jones
Thanks for notising my question. Is this the ones you mentioned as V&P?

In that case I already use them, but I want a cleaner look. The small tringle plastic part doesn´t do much of a differense for hot days IMO. Is there anyone with pic´s of Hondas fairing side deflectors?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Co-rider whine, that's rare....

Radarman,

The first time around, about 6 years ago, I went for the big windshield solution to please my honey. This just shifted the complaining from the back seat to the front. If I wanted to be wrapped in plastic, I would buy a convertible. Also, she said the improvement, from the tallest after-market made, was minimal.

When we bought the 1800, I was bent on not replacing the stock Lexan shield. These tall shields make the 1800s look like a 1500, which is a look I am not seeking. Plus, I think there are some down sides to having them.

My sweetie is the same height as yours and when you throw in the higher rear seat, you can see that the only solution is a Full Face Helmet. The result of this is that I get to ride the MC with bugs hitting my face, which is the way I want it, and I don't hear any whining from the back seat. She really likes the FF, and reports that it solved the wind problem for her.

The Mirror Wings (one of two non-stock items on our bike) are quite effective in handling air flow, but I would take it easy on buying all the wind wings that are made. Your riding gear will do a better job than they will and you don't have to wash your apparel everytime you ride the bike, as you do with all the stuff you screw onto the bike.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
67 Posts
Janne Sweden I saw the picture of your bike, I had the same wind deflectors you have. I removed the upper wind deflectors because they caused too much buffeting when meeting large trucks on two lane roads. It might also help your co-rider.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts