GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to hi-jack that thread, so I'll share this info here. It's about putting a m/c on a train and shipping coast to coast.

A customer came in and shared how his m/c, and I thing 21 other m/c's (22 total) ship their Wings to make a trip to Sturgis, SD. I'm not sure where they all shipped them all from, but they rented the entire train car. If I recall, the shipping price included loading racks. The group rode their bikes to a train depo, where their bikes were individually loaded on to transportation racks, and then loaded on to a train car. He was describing dollies similar to ones used for the auto train, but this was not the auto train ... it was a freight train. Since an entire train car was rented, it was incredibly cheap. I wish I could remember more of the details. He's a snow bird from ID and intending to bring his Wing in for service before leaving for home. If he does, I'll get more info and update here.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Interesting about the railcar rental, however, it takes some time to arrange to load the bikes, get rides home (5 taxis?) , get rides to Sturgis (22 airline tickets)?, get rides to train station (another 5 taxis?), unload bikes and ride from the station, instead of an easy 2 day ride (say from Boise). I shipped one bike once and the logistics were overwhelming.

·
IronMan
17,136 Posts
THERES TRAIN RUNS SANFORD FL TO THINK BOSTON ? LOAD BIKE AND YOU TRAVEL IN CLUB CAR NIECE DID ABOUT 5 YRS AGO ENJOYED IT . DONT KNOW ABOUT GOING ANYWHERE ELSE

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update ... the bikes were shipped in 2006 from Sanford FL, to Denver CO. The round trip cost was about $475/bike. The bikes were loaded and strapped down to some form of a shipping create, and it does not sound like the same dollies that are used for the auto-train that goes to the NE. Once all are ready for loading, a fork truck loads them on to a train car. When the train car reaches its destination, the price also included a small window (like 5-7 days) where the train car is pushed off to the side, and waits for the OK for all be unload at once. They are all loaded and unloaded as an entire car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts