GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the slash cut version last week after getting one of the last sets from Dennis Kirk for $265. My first impression was they sound good, not loud at all, kind of the old glass pack sound. After a 400 mile ride on Sunday I discovered they have a bit of a drone between 2500 and 3000 RPM. Nothing bad and the wife said it didn't bother her at all but it bothered me.

I had pulled the baffle when I got it and was surprised to find it's a simple full length small diameter pipe with some cutouts 1/3 of the way down to "baffle" the sound. That leaves an open cavity inside the pipe and I figured that was where the resonance was coming from.

I picked up some packing material this afternoon along with some metal tie wraps and proceeded to wrap the inner pipe in hopes of killing the drone without killing the sound.

The result, PERFECT! The wrap didn't reduce the volume and actually improved the tone, giving it much more of that muscle car glass pack sound. At cruise, under load or anywhere in between the drone is bacically gone replaced with a nice deep rumble.

FYI, the rest of the bike is stock including the catalytic converters. YMMV if you have torq loops.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I hope you don't end up with a melted mess inside your exhaust pipes. How did it sound without the baffles?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope you don't end up with a melted mess inside your exhaust pipes. How did it sound without the baffles?
Melted mess? I used 4 cycle rated muffler packing material, the same thing I've used to repack mufflers for the last 30 years. It's high temp fiberglass, it won't melt.

Without the baffles it sounds like crap. It's a megaphone that resonates so loud you can't hear my Harley running next to it. It actually sounds a lot better without any muffler attached than it does with the Cobra and no center pipe (baffle).

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
I have these ear plugs!
Work Great:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Melted mess? I used 4 cycle rated muffler packing material, the same thing I've used to repack mufflers for the last 30 years. It's high temp fiberglass, it won't melt.

Without the baffles it sounds like crap. It's a megaphone that resonates so loud you can't hear my Harley running next to it. It actually sounds a lot better without any muffler attached than it does with the Cobra and no center pipe (baffle).

mjw930- Where did you get your packing for the mufflers? I also got 1 of the last 2 Cobras from D.K. and I wouldn't mind trying something different if it makes them sound a little more like a glass pack muffler with a slight deeper sound.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mjw930- Where did you get your packing for the mufflers? I also got 1 of the last 2 Cobras from D.K. and I wouldn't mind trying something different if it makes them sound a little more like a glass pack muffler with a slight deeper sound.
I got it at Cycle Gear http://www.cyclegear.com/ they have a store here in Daytona but I don't see any in Ohio.

Call around to your larger sport bike dealers, this is a common part for their generic pipes and is used a lot to repack ATV mufflers, escpecially around hunting season ;)

I used the 4 stroke version. I don't know what the difference is but since they make one specifically for each application their must be a reason..... I think the major difference is the quantity of material, most 2 stroke pipes are smaller.

I used 2 packs, one for each pipe wrapped long ways to cover most of the inner pipe. I alsi used metal tie wraps to hold it in place but most guys just use masking tape to hold it long enough to get it slipped into the pipe. Once it's in there's no reason to hold it in place. BTW, I've taken out packing on sport bikes and been shocked to see 4 year old pipes with burnt out packing but still have the masking tape in tact!

·
Registered
581 Posts
It's a good thing you did this now. I got the Cobras right after they came out (Must be 3 years or so). I removed the mufflers to drill hole in the hangar to raise them up a little. They do hang pretty low. They look good now. Anyway, I had the same thought as you. While I had them off, I tried to remove the baffles. No way, they a frozen solid in there after 3 years, so I won't be doing the wrap!!

Another thing.....put some locktite on the screws that hold the baffles in place. Right after I got mine (about 3 months) while on a long trip, mine came loose and exited the rear while I was going about 65mph. My buddy was right behind me and almost got wiped out. Fortunately it didn't hit him. Cobra sent me a new baffle for free and I told them to use locktite. The guy said they didn't want to make the baffles too hard to remove in case somebody didn't want them in. After a few years they won't be coming out!!!!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Thanks mjw930 for the information I just ordered 2 pack of packing from cyclegear.
ghump-I was thinking of doing the same thing to mine to raise them up a little bit, I think they need to come up about another inch or so.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Thanks mjw930 for the information I just ordered 2 pack of packing from cyclegear.
ghump-I was thinking of doing the same thing to mine to raise them up a little bit, I think they need to come up about another inch or so.
I drilled my holes just above the bend in the hangar, which is about an inch. They look much better and I don't scrape bottom anymore.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks mjw930, I tried your suggestions but that doesn't works for me, installed Cobra from 2 days and made just 100 milles but I plan to remove them tomorrow, too much drone for me.
After several test in highways and not I notice about that, if I try it with my modular helmet open, all is ok, nice sound and no too much drone, but when I close my modular helmet drone is really too much for me, I always ride with my helmet closed.

I don't know if someone have experience with Cobra + Torq loopz and if with this drone go away.

Also I don't know if Cobra + Torq loopz = much more loud pipes

What I know is that, tomorrow I will remove Cobra to re-intall OEM pipes, I'm sad because Cobra look very nice, sound very nice but drone is too much for me.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I found a really good way to get rid of the Cobra drone: I put the stock muffler back on.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just a note to say this worked for me on my billet tip Cobras! These do have a different baffle than most of the slash cuts Cobras, BTW.

Still a little noise. Sort of changed the pitch/frequency and the volume of the drone, but is sooooo much more tolerable!! Heck, I would not even call it a drone any longer, just an exhaust rumble/growl.

Got quite a few compliments the other day when out riding with a group of 6 riders, (4 of them on sportbikes), and all of them commented on how sweet the Wing sounded.

I did a 150 mile trip the other day and forgot all about the pipes on the way home. No problem!! A little over 500 miles on them since packing.

Thanks for the tip on packing these Cobras!!

And they said it was the fairing! Cobra CS is clueless!!

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
Just a note to say this worked for me on my billet tip Cobras! These do have a different baffle than most of the slash cuts Cobras, BTW.

Still a little noise. Sort of changed the pitch/frequency and the volume of the drone, but is sooooo much more tolerable!! Heck, I would not even call it a drone any longer, just an exhaust rumble/growl.

Got quite a few compliments the other day when out riding with a group of 6 riders, (4 of them on sportbikes), and all of them commented on how sweet the Wing sounded.

I did a 150 mile trip the other day and forgot all about the pipes on the way home. No problem!! A little over 500 miles on them since packing.

Thanks for the tip on packing these Cobras!!

And they said it was the fairing! Cobra CS is clueless!!
A full face helmet will make the drone louder.:eek:4:

later..Randy

·
Registered
162 Posts
I always ride with a full face. Shoei X-11.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I like this idea and I just ordered the packing. My Cobras w/ billet tips have a drone and I was considering putting the stock mufflers back on. I'm going to try this first. THANKS!:bow:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Thanks mjw930, I tried your suggestions but that doesn't works for me, installed Cobra from 2 days and made just 100 milles but I plan to remove them tomorrow, too much drone for me.
After several test in highways and not I notice about that, if I try it with my modular helmet open, all is ok, nice sound and no too much drone, but when I close my modular helmet drone is really too much for me, I always ride with my helmet closed.

I don't know if someone have experience with Cobra + Torq loopz and if with this drone go away.

Also I don't know if Cobra + Torq loopz = much more loud pipes

What I know is that, tomorrow I will remove Cobra to re-intall OEM pipes, I'm sad because Cobra look very nice, sound very nice but drone is too much for me.
The Torq Loopz will solve your drone problem and will make them sound better bur not louder.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The Torq Loopz will solve your drone problem and will make them sound better bur not louder.
is that really true about the drone man ? Do you think the torque loop with "stock" exhausts will work together or do you have to buy the mufflers also?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Over 2,000 miles on my Cobras, with packing and I'm still happy as can be!!

Great sound and NO drone! :thumbup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
The packing cured the drone and I've added Torq Loopz. The sound is now awesome and drone free.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts