GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this Cobraextreme tiny DVD camera at Wingding, but wasn't able to get any details on it. Looked it up on the web yesterday and appears it is only $169.00.

Does any have experience with this product?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Cobraxtreme

I saw this Cobraextreme tiny DVD camera at Wingding, but wasn't able to get any details on it. Looked it up on the web yesterday and appears it is only $169.00.

Does any have experience with this product?
Actually, it is the Cobraxtreme CX51 Cobracam DVR, not DVD. I found one on the web for $139.00.

Anybody have experience with this product?

·
Registered
792 Posts
The first thing that catches my eye is it isn't HD. Seems to only offer one video setting.

For $239 I'd buy a GoPro Hero kit.

What are you trying to shoot? Bike video?

It uses a lot of the same mounting hardware as the GoPro, and the case is similar as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good for what it costs

I bought one of the Cobra Extreme cameras when in Daytona for bike week this year. For what it costs, I think it's a good camera. If you'd like to see a sample, I made a video while in Knoxville for Wing Ding 33 recently. It's 10 minutes of the Tail Of The Dragon and can be seen at the address below. Maybe this will help you decide if this camera is for you or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mounting the camera

I used the optional suction cup mount and attached it to the bottom of the wndshield. The bike is in the paint shop right now, but as soon as it's back I can post a picture of the mount.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Comparison

After reading about the GoPro, and since I already have the Cobra Extreme, my curiosity got the better of me, so I ordered a GoPro. Below are personal opinions about the two.

1. The Cobra is about half the size of the GoPro, which isn't that big a deal, unless you're a spy wanting to conceal your camera.

2. The Cobra records in AVI format, while the GoPro records in MP4 format. AVI format can be directly edited in Windows Live Movie Maker, but it can't edit MP4. But, there are programs, some free, which can convert MP4 to AVI. There are also some inexpensive editing programs which can handle MP4, so this isn't a deal breaker.

3. The Cobra records in 640x480 resolution, which is fine for viewing on your computer or on YouTube, but is lacking in quality if watched on a TV, especially if it's a large screen TV. The GoPro model 960 costs $179.99 and records records at 960p, 720p @ 30fps and 480p (WVGA), while the GoPro Hero ($299.99) adds 720p @ 60fps, and 1080p resolutions. If you use the GoPro, it's easy to reduce the size via one of the aforementioned programs to 640x480 resolution if you wish to publish to YouTube.

4. Since I only wanted a camera for videos while riding, I opted for the less expensive GoPro 960 and am happy with it. The picture quality (size) is superior to the Cobra and doesn't cost that much more than the Cobra. Another good point is that the suction cup mout I bought for the Cobra is the same system as the GoPro, so mounting isn't a problem.

5. I now have both, but knowing what I do now, and if I could only buy one, I'd buy thre GoPro, even if it's a bit more expensive, simply for the better picture quality. But, if simplicity is more your thing, the Cobra may be your camera, due to the ease of editing.

For home videos, I have a $1,600.00 Canon which does more than an adequate job, and it seems that I now have the motorcycle category resolved. Of course, this means I may have to spend a few extra hours per day collecting discarded beer cans from the side of the road to pay for my toys. :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts