GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of converting my 06 GL1800 to a CSC GL1800 Cobra Trike. I
wish to do the install myself, having the time and ability to carry out such a project. There is only 1 Agent here in Australia for this company and they are based some 3000kilometres from where I live.

I would appreciate your various opinions on the Cobra trike, good or bad and the reasons for your opinion. Are there any fault etc........ that are known?????

My thanks in advance.

TropicalGuyCns.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
In the states, CSC won't allow for self install, if your not a dealer. Not sure what they would require for u to become a dealer.

If u could find a CSC with front end damage, I would guess u could remove the trike kit and install on your own GL.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Check out the RoadSmith.. It is self install, and has the required safety features standard, and a lot easer to install than the other.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cobra Trike.

I have spoken to the Australian agent/Importer for CSC Cobra Trike and have been advised that I can purchase and self install this kit. One problem is that they will NOT give any warranty........ will try to negotiate warranty on parts only, with this I would be happy.

The main reason for my post was to enquire of any board members, their experiences with this kit.

Some reasons for my choice of the Cobra kit.
Able to use ABS.
Extra fuel tank.
Weight factor.
and I guess I just like the look of this particular kit.

So let's have your opinions GOOD or BAD.........

TropicalGuyCns.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I would also look at getting the parking brake and rake/easy steer.

I also like the looks and the way the aux fuel tank works. I am happy with my choice of kit. Don't like the way the hinges protrude into the trunk but have learned to pack around them.

Good Luck

·
Registered
358 Posts
If you've been wrenching on bikes for awhile you won't have any problem with building the CSC. Take your time aligning the body or you will have an issue with the exhaust system. It may be a bit challenging to get everything to fit but it will. If you run into issues, talk to Will or Tom at CSC. They are a great source of info and expertise on this trike.

Great machine, you'll love it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CMore,

Here is the list of accessories that I'm interested in at present.

Auxiliary Fuel Tank, 3.4 gal
Chrome Passenger Floor Board Sidecover Set
Ground Effects .
Light Bar- .
Performance Brake Upgrade
Storage Cover
Trailer Hitch Kit
Trunk Dome Light
Vinyl StoneGuard Fender Kit (4 pc)
Fully Adjustable Shock
ABS Equipped
Power-Trak 4.5%

The Parking Brake is included in the kit quote.

Can you tell me what type of Diff, Half Shafts and Disc Brakes are used in this conversion?
Have you experienced any problems with your trike kit?
TropicalGuyCns.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
CMore,

Here is the list of accessories that I'm interested in at present.

Auxiliary Fuel Tank, 3.4 gal
Chrome Passenger Floor Board Sidecover Set
Ground Effects .
Light Bar- .
Performance Brake Upgrade
Storage Cover
Trailer Hitch Kit
Trunk Dome Light
Vinyl StoneGuard Fender Kit (4 pc)
Fully Adjustable Shock
ABS Equipped
Power-Trak 4.5%

The Parking Brake is included in the kit quote.

Can you tell me what type of Diff, Half Shafts and Disc Brakes are used in this conversion?
Have you experienced any problems with your trike kit?
TropicalGuyCns.
All proprietary,,,, Have to go back to the manufacture Including the Trailer hitch bar..

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
In case u haven't seen the info and then choose the Brochure button
http://www.californiasidecar.com/trikes_honda_cobra.html
It shows some of the details of the unit

Other options show additional infor.

As George said, most if not all of the kit is proprietary.

I have had mine triked in Jan 09 and put on about 12000 miles as a trike (which is not much) and so far no issues. Am going to have the spring and collar form the newer model installed, on my dime.

I have the adjustable shock and for my ridding style, it was a waste of money. Maybe not for some one else's style.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CMore,

Thanks for the link, it contains all the answers that I have been looking for, The link I was given overhere had nothing like this.

http://www.californiasidecar.com/tri...nda_cobra.html
It shows some of the details of the unit

OK now that the original questions have been answered, what about general riding experiences and ongoing maintenance, wear and tear etc....
any gremlins in there anywhere?

TropicalGuyCns.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
The only gremlin I had was that right after the install, the turn signal would not self cancel. When the "Power Track" was installed, during reinstall the electrical plug in the steering stem, it pushed one ping out of the plug. Other than that, nothing for my unit.

Others have had different experiences.

Here are a couple of trike sites that might have additional info
http://www.triketalk.com/forum/
http://www.lonestartrikes.proboards.com/index.cgi?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts