GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
NOW THE HANDLEBAR CONTROLS AND OTHER PANELS:

I ordered THESE LED's, 3mm, red and already have a wire attached as well as a dropping resistor.

First, I removed the left control module:

Then on the back, remove the two screws shown:

The two pieces of white plastic will drop right out. One is a cover for the lights and the other holds the three bulbs. Each of the bulbs goes to it's own connector. Pull the three connectors apart and remove the three bulbs. The blue diffuser/bulb holder would not fit over the new LED's. No big deal. The LED's slid in each hole and bottomed out without going all the way through.

Once I got all three in, I used some small wire ties to group all the wires and make everything neat:

To hold the bulbs in the socket, I used some hot glue:

Since the LED's draw FAR less current than the incandescent bulbs they're replacing, I just connected all three bulbs to one connector. Soldered everything together and shrink wrapped the connections.

NOTE: Brown is positive.

I put everything together but noticed that when plugged in, since the LED's are brighter than the old incandescent bulbs, there were noticeable hot spots. Since I had plenty of the red filter gel left, I decided to cut a piece to fit to help diffuse the light AND to color the fog light switch. First, since the surface where the filter gel would go was very dirty, before I cleaned it, I used some scotch tape to cover the surface and used a razor knife to trim the edges to get an exact fit. Being dirty helped the tape come off easily. Using the tape as a template, I put it on some paper and cut out around the edges:

Then holding the paper against the gel, I cut out the gel, cleaned the surface where the gel would lay and placed the gel:

Then I put it all back together. You can see the edge of the gel where the arrow is pointing:

To do the fog light switch, I took the switch out and popped off the button itself:

I cut a small piece of gel of dropped it into the button and and put the button back on.

And this is the result:

Handlebar switches are next...

...and the left handlebar is done. This is was real PITA! I basically had to disassemble the switch to remove the bulbs. If you do this, the service manual is zero help. Take pictures as you remove screws so you know how the assembly goes back together.

I did things a little different on this one. Since I couldn't get those blue diffusers to go over the lens of the LED, I decided to sand the LED's so instead of clear, they now have a "matte" finish. Also, the plastic holders (aka - lens) for the bulbs, where the light comes through out to the labels on the switches, I sanded those too to diffuse the light a little better. I used hot glue to hold the bulbs in place. The CB switches had three connectors to three bulbs. Again, since the LED's draw far less current than the incandescent bulbs they're replacing, I connected the three bulbs in parallel to one connector. Made thing a lot simpler.

And the result...

The right side. It's hard to get a good picture using your phone with only the light from the LED's.

And a short video of the upgrade. Trust me, this video doesn't do it justice. It looks much better in real life.
The best suggestion I can make when it comes to doing the handebar LED's is TAKE.YOUR. TIME. Don't be in a hurry. Where the bulbs mount into the plastic light "lenses," removing them is a delicate task. Be careful. Sanding the fronts of the lenses so they appear "dull" as opposed to clear and shiny helps diffuse the light and prevents hot spots.

I've had these installed now for several years and have had no issues.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Thanks for the update, I'm guessing I don't have bulbs in all those positions on my 2003. :cautious:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Thanks. This helped me confirm that the controls I thought might have lights out like the suspension adjust dont have a bulb out and arent lighted in the first place.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,205 Posts
Thanks. This helped me confirm that the controls I thought might have lights out like the suspension adjust dont have a bulb out and arent lighted in the first place.
What option level is your 2007? I think the 2007 has some lights in that area whether it’s an airbag version or not. The parts list shows bulbs. The 01-03s had no lighting in the hand controls, but had lights in all the other controls except the three buttons under the display.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I have the Navi with ABS. On the right, I dont remember if the circle Nav buttons are lit or the square selection buttons but not both. On the left, the headlight adjust is lit but not the suspension controls. The foglight button is lit as well as the hazard IIRC. Both left and right handlebars have everything lit up like Bartmans. And the radio buttons are all lit.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,205 Posts
I have the Navi with ABS. On the right, I dont remember if the circle Nav buttons are lit or the square selection buttons but not both. On the left, the headlight adjust is lit but not the suspension controls. The foglight button is lit as well as the hazard IIRC. Both left and right handlebars have everything lit up like Bartmans. And the radio buttons are all lit.
Ok, yea, the suspension adjuster buttons aren’t lit on any that I know of, only the wording of the panel near them should be. Just like the headlight dimmer switch, no lights in it either.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Beautiful job!

Reactions: Bartman
1 - 10 of 10 Posts