GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2001 Wing with 35k miles, great deal I thought, bike has been nothing but trouble. Previous rider only put 20 miles in the last 3 years and 1000 miles in the last 8 years. Latest problem was intermittent code 26 for several rides then running rough and stalling. Took it to my local Honda dealer and they think it's a bad kill switch. Not mechanically inclined at all but I'm not sure I buy that diagnosis. Maybe the running rough and stalling could be a bad kill switch but would that throw a code 26?
HELP HELP HELP PLEASE

·
Registered
596 Posts
Would help to know area you live in so maybe someone local could stop bye and give you some help.
Billy

·
Registered
2013 F6B
707 Posts
I bought a 2001 Wing with 35k miles, great deal I thought, bike has been nothing but trouble. Previous rider only put 20 miles in the last 3 years and 1000 miles in the last 8 years. Latest problem was intermittent code 26 for several rides then running rough and stalling. Took it to my local Honda dealer and they think it's a bad kill switch. Not mechanically inclined at all but I'm not sure I buy that diagnosis. Maybe the running rough and stalling could be a bad kill switch but would that throw a code 26?
HELP HELP HELP PLEASE
Sorry, a code 26 and running badly indicates a bad ECM. Not a cheap fix. :(

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
Not kill switch. It either works or doesn't. However, with bike off rotate switch back and forth ~40-50 times to wipe/clean the contacts.

Unfortunately there are many reports of ecm failures on the 01-02 bikes. You may have one of them.

Code 26 is left knock sensor. May want to try cleaning the connectors for that sensor before performing ecm swap. Also, swap the left and right side connectors to see if the fault stays a 26 or shifts to a 25 (shows if actual sensor issue or issue in the ecm if doesn't swap).

@techdude2000 your opinion?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not kill switch. It either works or doesn't. However, with bike off rotate switch back and forth ~40-50 times to wipe/clean the contacts.

Unfortunately there are many reports of ecm failures on the 01-02 bikes. You may have one of them.

Code 26 is left knock sensor. May want to try cleaning the connectors for that sensor before performing ecm swap. Also, swap the left and right side connectors to see if the fault stays a 26 or shifts to a 25 (shows if actual sensor issue or issue in the ecm if doesn't swap).

@techdude2000 your opinion?
As I said, kill switch just doesn't make sense

1 - 5 of 5 Posts