GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK guys… announcing the inaugural Cody-Cade Ride In!!

WHEN:
June 23-26, 2022

WHERE: Cody, Wyoming

WHAT: An informal gathering of riders who want to explore all of the great riding areas in the northwest corner of Wyoming, including:
  • Yellowstone Nat’l Park
  • The Beartooth Highway
  • The Chief Joseph Skyway
  • Grand Teton Nat’l Park
  • and the Big Horn Mountains

SYNOPSIS: This will be a completely informal event. No host hotel or campground… no planned dinner or dining arrangements… no group rates on either of the above… and no pre-planned group rides, or set agenda of any kind.

It’s simply an early summer gathering of old & new friends in one of the most beautiful & exciting areas in the country to ride… to wrench… or just enjoy the scenery.

Ok folks, here it is…

I don’t own a Goldwing anymore, but I've been with this forum so long, and know so many of you from the days when I did that you're still my go-to group of riders who I like seeing & riding with on occasion.

These days, I’m living way out here in Yellowstone country... and the fact is that I miss getting together with you at past events like Cats-Cade, Apple-Cade, The Lead Pencil Runs, Robeth’s Swamp Tour, etc. So I figured… now that I live in what could arguably be called “motorcycle heaven”, why not see if a bunch of you would like an excuse to gather up here for a few days or wrenchin' & ridin'?

The object was to find a window of dates as late as practicable in June, but before the really busy & overcrowded season begins. Also, after mid-July, the area is prone to receiving a lot of smoke from wildfires further west, which reduce visibility and obscure those fantastic vistas we have.

Now, let me tell you about the weekend…

Ecoregion World Map Atlas Font

(right-click the map, and open in a new window for a more detailed view)

This is a map I made up for friends last year to get a general overview & an idea of the area. The scenic & riding opportunities around here are epic:

• The East Entrance to Yellowstone National Park is an hour west
  • The Beartooth Highway is a couple hours to the north
  • The Big Horn Mountains are a few hours to the east
  • Beautiful Wind River Canyon is a couple hours southeast
  • And Grand Teton Nat’l Park is just southwest of me.

Literally all the way around the compass, there are great motorcycling areas for both on & off-road riding... each filled with herds of free-roaming bison, elk, moose, pronghorn & big horn sheep, black & grizzly bear… not to mention the numerous deer often found strolling through my own neighborhood.

As that map shows, it’s a large area (about 250 miles across, east-to-west), In that aspect it’s kinda like Disneyworld, in that there’s no way one can fully explore & appreciate it all during a single weekend. With that in mind, if folks want to arrive a few days early, and/or stay a few days after the weekend… great! I’ll be around the entire time.

I’ve labeled or circled the popular riding & scenic destinations. While I’m sure you’re familiar with Yellowstone and the Beartooth Highway… you may not know about some of the others. I encourage you to Google them, and check them out to see if they interest you.

But while you’re doing your planning, keep the following in mind: Wyoming is the least populated state in the country. Cattle, livestock, and/or wildlife outnumber us humans 50-to 1. Lots of area, particularly to the south & east are "open range" with no fences. Seeing cattle on a roadway, while not common, certainly isn't unusual. You might even get a chuckle when you see signs like the one below, modified to read "BLACK COWS MATTER"... as hitting one does damage to you, and is money out of their pocket. Once you get out of town, you can ride for miles sometimes and never see another vehicle on the road (not counting the tourist areas). Cell service is very sparse once you get 15 miles away from any town… and NEVER allow your fuel tank to get under ¼ full.

Sky Cloud Infrastructure Road surface Asphalt

Ok, again back to the map. Notice the lack of alternate roads to/from the various areas I've circled & highlighted. Unlike back east, where there are multiple ways to get to & from a destination… out here, ranches & mountain ranges get in the way, and they don’t spend money to build roads over them unless it’s necessary. As such, there are ONLY one or two ways to get somewhere out here: you do a loop, or go partway & backtrack the way you came.

The roads you see depicted are the only ones that I call “through routes”. Yes, there are other minor roads in the area, but they usually exist only to get to someone's ranch. Many consist of only dirt or gravel… or they’re paved roads that go for 20-30 miles, and then come to a dead end when they reach the foot of a mountain range.

For example: A riding loop from Cody, west into the Hayden Valley area of Yellowstone, north up to the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone and then back east into the Lamar Valley… up through Cooke City, down through the Chief Joseph Highway, and back south into Cody is a loop of only about 250 miles. BUT, it will take you NO LESS than 6 hours of actual riding. The speed limit once you get inside Yellowstone is only 45 mph. And if you stop to take lots of pictures, or watch the bison herds, add more time to your trip… then add even more if you stop for a meal in Cooke City. (Add 2 more hours if you skip the Chief Joseph, and head northeast up the Beartooth Highway to Red Lodge, and then head south again back to Cody)

And that route is the ONLY way to get back to Cody unless you only go partway, and backtrack the way you came. I repeat… the ONLY way.

Another example: Jenny Lake, with the jagged peaks of the Tetons in the background inside of Grand Teton Nat’l Park is one of the most photographed sites in Wyoming… and it’s only 100 miles from Cody as the bird flies. But of course, we aren’t birds. So again… riding west into Yellowstone from Cody, and then turning south on the west side of Yellowstone Lake to Grand Teton is 156 road-miles… but it will take you just over 3½ hours of pure riding (more if you stop along the way). The shortest way back to Cody is to backtrack the way you came, because… the ONLY other way back is to go southeast on US-26, then up through Wind River Canyon (a BEAUTIFUL area to ride), and then back northwest through the town of Meteetse, and up to Cody. That would make the loop a total of about 450 miles, and take at least 8½ hours of pure riding, not counting stops for meals, bathroom breaks, photo ops, etc.

So when you’re making your riding plans… plan on those routes to be a day-long affair.

Finally, like any good Goldwing gathering, there’ll be an opportunity for some wrenching to occur. The house I’m in has a huge garage that I’m turning into a decent workshop. By summer I'll have it all set up to include a table-lift, a No-Mar tire machine, and pretty much all of the shop tools necessary.

If someone wants to change tires, would like some help installing accessories, or have a nagging maintenance issue to address... you can have parts & tires shipped here where they'll be waiting on your arrival. If you’re unsure how something’s supposed to go, there’s usually at least one or 2 riders in the group who can help you out.

Here is more info you may find helpful:

The Town: Cody, Wyoming

For those of you who aren’t familiar at all with the area, the town of Cody was named for its founder… the famous Colonel William F. "Buffalo Bill" Cody.

He passed through the area back in the 1870’s, and was so impressed with the grand scenery, the hunting opportunities, the proximity to Yellowstone National Park… and more importantly, its rich soil and the possibilities for the development of irrigation, that he returned in the mid-1890s to start a town.

The location is on the western side of an area known as the Big Horn Basin. The altitude here in Cody is right at 5,000’ above sea level… but the elevation quickly rises as you travel west towards Yellowstone, or north towards the Beartooth range… with many of the peaks rising above 10,000’.

In late June, the weather here is almost perfect. Morning & evening temps are usually run between the high 50s to low 60s… but rise quickly to daytime highs in the high 70s to low 80s. And with no humidity to speak of… even if it gets higher than that, it’s never uncomfortable.

But again, those temps are here in town. As you begin traveling west & north, and rise in elevation… those temps begin to drop. So bring layers, and even keep that electric vest or liner handy in the saddlebag if you have one.

Another note is that the days are long here at that time of year. Sundown doesn’t occur before 9 PM, and it really doesn’t begin getting dark until 9:30 or so.

Attractions & Entertainment:

Sheridan Avenue:

Sky Car Wheel Tire Building

Before I begin listing the big attractions, let me start with our main street… Sheridan avenue. It's one of those streets you can spend a good part of your day just strolling the sidewalks, and checking out the various souvenir shops, art & home furnishings galleries, clothing & boots shops, hotels, restaurants, cafe’s, and yes… drinking establishments.

Here's is a sample of the attractions in Cody, with web links so you can check them out:

The Buffalo Bill Center of the West.
Museums - Buffalo Bill Center of the West

Consisting of 5 different museums, this is probably the biggest attraction in town It includes the famous Cody Firearms Museum, with one of the most extensive collections in the world. You could easily spend an entire day here exploring the history of the area, the native Americans who first inhabited this land, and many artifacts preserved for you to see.

The Cody Stampede Rodeo - Cody Nite Rodeo
Cody Stampede Rodeo: Home of the Cody Rodeo & Night Rodeo | Cody, WY

Cody is also known as the Rodeo Capital of the World... and every night during the summer, it hosts the Cody Nite Rodeo. It is the only nightly rodeo in the world. Since 1938, each night you can watch veteran & aspiring cowboys & cowgirls competing in the various events.

Cody Firearms Experience
Cody Firearms Experience – From Flintlock to Full Auto

Have you ever wanted to shoot an original 1862 Gatling Gun? An old Kentucky flintlock rifle? Or maybe an WWii era Thompson on full auto? You can shoot all of them at the Cody Firearms Experience. They have an extensive collection of black powder rifles & muskets, black powder handguns, cowboy handguns & rifles, wartime & modern era firearms, and full-auto options that you can choose from.

The Heart Mountain Interpretive Center
National Historic Landmark - Heart Mountain WWII Japanese American

Just north of town, one of the more prominent landmarks in the area rises from the surrounding landscape… Heart Mountain. And at the foot of its southeast side is the location of the former Heart Mountain WWii Japanese-American Confinement Site… one of 10 such sites where these folk were interned for the duration of the war. While I’ll not comment on the political wisdom of behind it… I will say it is a sobering place to visit, and contemplate how those who were sent there (both those interned, and the soldiers assigned there to guard them) must have felt, and what they went through.

Accommodations:

Although you won’t find any high-rise Marriotts or Hiltons here, there are MANY options for overnight & extended stays in the area.

Some of my recommendations for hotels are as follows:

The Irma

Sky Temple Building Travel Chinese architecture

This is the one that started it all... founded by Buffalo Bill Cody himself, and named for his youngest daughter. If you want to stay in a place filled with history... with it's cherrywood bar gifted to him from Queen Victoria... this is it.

Chamberlin Inn
https://chamberlininn.com

The Chamberlin Inn is another long-time establishment here... established in 1903 by Aggie Chamberlin, who worked for Buffalo Bill at his newspaper office. A beautiful inn located in the center of town, with a nice courtyard in the back... it has a great history with notables such as Ernest Hemingway and others as its former guests.

Hampton Inn & Suites Cody
https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/codeyhx-hampton-suites-cody/

The Cody
https://www.thecody.com

Best Western Premier Ivy Inn & Suites
Hotel in Cody, WY - Best Western Premier Ivy Inn & Suites

Best Western Sunset Inn

Holiday Inn Cody-At Buffalo Bill Village
https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/cody/codwy/hoteldetail

Of course, there are plenty others... you can find them on Google, or Hotels.com

Campgrounds:

There are 4 main campgrounds in town that I’d recommend, and a few smaller ones that I wouldn’t. Additionally, there’s also the Buffalo Bill State Park… located right on the water at the reservoir about 10 miles west of town.

Cody KOA: Cody, Wyoming Campground | Cody KOA Holiday
My choice for best in the area. Located 2 miles west of town… it’s far enough away to be nice & peaceful, but close enough to be convenient to everything. Offering tent sites & cabins, this should be your first consideration.

Ponderosa Campground: Ponderosa Campground - Cody, WY - Home
Located closer to the center of town, and within walking distance of attractions & restaurants… this is the only other in-town location with tent camping available.

Absaroka Campground: index
RV-type sites only. Motorcycle campers would be ok, but no tents.

Buffalo Bluff RV Park: https://www.buffalobluffrvpark.com
This is Cody’s newest RV park. But it too does not allow tent camping.

Buffalo Bill State Park: Wyoming State Parks, Historic Sites, & Trails - Buffalo Bill State Park
With campsite either on or near the water... you'll be in a beautiful setting here on the Buffalo Bill Reservoir, in a quiet & peaceful location away from town.

Dining Options:

One of the very unique things about Cody is that, while we have a few national chain fast-food places like McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy’s, and Dairy Queen… we don’t have any national chain restaurants. You won’t find Applebee’s, Olive Garden, or any of the like here.

But what we do have are great privately owned establishments… from small little mom & pop cafes, hearty steakhouses, and even places where you can get dinner & a show together. Let me show you a few:

The Irma Hotel Dining Room: Dining | Buffalo Bill's Irma Hotel
I’m going to start off at the same place I did for hotels… back to The Irma Hotel. Their Dining Room is top notch, and serves some of the best food in town.

Cassies: https://www.cassies.com
This is probably the most popular steakhouse in town… with a wide-selection menu, and live music each night, it’s hard to go wrong here.

The Cody Cattle Company: https://www.thecodycattlecompany.com
If dinner & a floor-show is more your option.. this place will more than satisfy. Dinner is normally served buffet-style, and is followed by a country-themed musical performance that will keep you entertained. Dinner begins at 5:30… the show at 6:30… and ends at 7:30, so you’ll have time to head down the street a few blocks to attend the Cody Nite Rodeo, if desired.

Bubba’s BBQ: Best Restaurants In Cody WY | Healthy Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner | Places/Where To Eat | Bubba's Bar-B-Que
Ok, don’t expect great BBQ like you’d find back in Kansas City, Texas, or the Carolinas… but this is a great spot in town that serves good food at decent prices. They also have a nice breakfast menu for those who want to get the day started.

Granny’s: Granny's Restaurant - Home
This is the epitome of a locally owned, mom & pop, all-purpose restaurant. Nothing fancy here, but open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner… they have an all around menu of the staples that will satisfy your hunger.

Millstone Pizza Company: Millstone Pizza Company and Brewery
The closest thing we have to a what I’d call a ‘real’ Italian restaurant… it has your basic dishes, and a few different pizza options.

Gasthaus Cardi: Gasthaus Cardi
If German food is your thing, this place isn’t bad. But since I’ve never really had any authentic German meals, except for the week I spent on a motorcycle tour of the Alps a few years ago… I can’t be replied on to be an expert on the cuisine.

Of course there are many, many more dining options.. which can all be found with a simple Google search on your device.

Ok, do that’s probably FAR more info than you really wanted to read… but for those who wanna see more… here’s an excellent YouTube video posted a few months ago by someone passing thru for 2 days with his family. It provides a great visual description of the town, and many of the attractions I listed above. I was quite impressed with the quality, and am sure you’ll enjoy it:

So ok.. that's it for now... but I can't stress this enough:

If you're even thinking of attending... MAKE RESERVATIONS NOW!!! You can always cancel them later if plans change, and life gets in the way. But many places are already nearly booked for next year... so make your reservations now before before the better options are gone.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Ok fellas….I just booked a tent site from the 22–26 at the KOA. Looks like the sites with electric (if they have any) are already gone but cabins, RV and non electric tent sites are still available.

Full disclosure: While I am extremely likely, I am not 100% committed yet because this gathering competes with a couple of other events I was also planning. (Dust to Dawson and Top of the Rockies). Make your reservations NOW if you are considering this or you will likely be on a waiting list.

This has the makings of a really good one!

Edit: I just posted this on the FL Prowlers FB page.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I truly appreciate all the work you put into this informal event and this detailed post. I hope to spend next summer in Cody. If it happens, I plan to ride the Chief Joseph and Beartooth at least twice a week until the tourists get too thick. But with your post, I now see there is a LOT more riding to do than just those 2 roads.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Just booked Sunset Inn, Best Western. 2 Queen Beds. So I have 1 available for a solo rider if you want to share. Cost will be about $386.00 per person for 4 nights.

I will be coming in from Santa Monica, CA after an 13 day Route 66 ride from Illinois.

·
Registered
2020 Tour Manual, 2018 Royal Enfield Himalayan
344 Posts
WHAT: An informal gathering of riders who want to explore all of the great riding areas in the northwest corner of Wyoming, including:
  • Yellowstone Nat’l Park
  • The Beartooth Highway
  • Grand Teton Nat’l Park
Wow! I just got back from that trip a couple weeks ago. But leaving Rapid City, I hit Devils Tower and Spearfish Canyon before ending up in Red Lodge and riding the items listed above.

I'd love to repeat that trip but the thought of crossing the prairies/grasslands/plains with the wind I encountered is not helping my enthusiasm. But who knows how I'll feel when Buffalo, NY gets one of their lake-effect snow dumps this winter.

I must say, leaving the day after Labor Day was a good call on my part. Kiddies back in school, tourists on the wane, summer heat almost gone and no problem with hotels. I had a fantastic 12 days!

I can highly recommend the above itinerary if you are able to make it!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts

WHEN:
June 23-26, 2022

WHERE: Cody, Wyoming

• Yellowstone Nat’l Park
  • The Beartooth Highway
  • Grand Teton Nat’l Park

SYNOPSIS: This will be a completely informal event. No host hotel or campground… no planned dinner or dining arrangements… no group rates on either of the above… and no pre-planned group rides, or set agenda of any kind.

It’s simply an early summer gathering of old & new friends in one of the most beautiful & exciting areas in the country to ride… to wrench… or just enjoy the scenery.

Ok folks, here it is…

I don’t own a Goldwing anymore, but I've been with this forum so long, and know so many of you from the days when I did that you're still my go-to group of riders who I like seeing & riding with on occasion.

These days, I’m living way out here in Yellowstone country... and the fact is that I miss getting together with you at past events like Cats-Cade, Apple-Cade, The Lead Pencil Runs, Robeth’s Swamp Tour, etc. So I figured… now that I live in what could arguably be called “motorcycle heaven”, why not see if a bunch of you would like an excuse to gather up here for a few days or wrenchin' & ridin'?

The scenic & riding opportunities all around here are epic. The East Entrance to Yellowstone Nat’l Park is just a short ride to my west… the Beartooth Higheway is just to the north… the Big Horn Mtns are a few hours to the east… The beautiful Wind River, and Red Canyon areas are a couple hours southeast… and Grand Teton Nat’l Park is just southwest of me. Literally all the way around the compass, there are great motorcycling areas for both on & off-road riding, filled with herds of free-roaming bison, elk, moose… pronghorn & big horn sheep, black & grizzly bear… and not to mention the numerous deer often found strolling through my own neighborhood.

So those are the selling points… and now, right up front, I wanna tell you a few reasons why no one else to my knowledge has held a rally up here.

First off, Cody is a tourist town in the summer… and like all tourist towns, it can be expensive to stay here for a few days. This is why I haven’t been able to work out any group rate discounts with any of the local hotels or campgrounds. The fact is that they don’t have to. They’re coming off of 2 of the busiest & most profitable seasons in history… with every hotel room & campsite filled, every single night of the week. So securing reservations at any of the many hotels & campgrounds will be your own responsibility (and you’ll want to do it SOON!)

Next, it’s not exactly easy to get here. It’s not really close to any major city… and the nearest interstate highway is over 2 hours away. There are only a few major US & state highways available to get anywhere around here (more on that later). But of course, that’s one the attractions of the place too. A traffic jam for me these days is when I find myself 3rd in line at the stop sign.

And finally, while the entire summer is nice, the prime-time of the summer season is very short & very early. I’ll explain what I mean by that below, and the reason for the selection of the event dates.

The July 4th weekend is the real kickoff to the busiest (aka: most crowded) months of the year (July & August). Yellowstone set new park records this year with over a million visitors in both July & August, and just missed in September with over 990,000 visitors. So I wanted a date prior to that. And while summer May be in full swing in many parts of the country by Memorial Day… up here we’re still getting occasional snow, especially at the higher altitudes. In fact, most years the Beartooth Highway doesn’t even open for traffic until sometime during the first week of June.

Finally, there’s the annual phenomenon that I’m sure you’ve all read & heard about this year: the western wildfires. Here in this area, they usually aren’t major, and cause very little real damage. But west of us is a different story. In June, before those fires flare up, the skies here are clear & bright. Visibility of 20 miles or better are common, and you can see forever.

But later in the season, when the smoke from those fires in CA, OR, and ID begins drifting east over this area… the beautiful vistas we have go away. Smoke fills the skies, hangs low, and obscures views of most of the mountaintops. The jagged peaks of the Tetons completely disappear. Sure, the roads are still curvy & waiting to be carved… and the bison & elk are still roaming thru the Lamar & Hayden valleys of Yellowstone… but those “big skies” you’ve heard & read about are mostly non-existent until late September or early October when the weather cools down, and occasional snow flies.

So the object was to find a window of dates as late as practicable in June, but before the really busy & overcrowded season began. And after getting input from other riders about conflicting events on the same weekend, plus their personal preferences… June 23-26 seemed to be the best option.

Now, let me tell you about the weekend…

View attachment 390463

(right-click the map, and open in a new window for a more detailed view)

This is a map I made up for friends last year to get a general overview & idea of the area. As it shows, it’s a large area (about 250 miles across, east-to-west), with lots of great riding & scenic opportunities. In that aspect it’s kinda like Disneyworld. There’s no way one can fully explore & appreciate it all during a single weekend. And with that in mind… if folks want to arrive a few days early, and/or stay a few days after the weekend… great! I’ll be around the entire time.

The house I’ve moved into this past August has a huge garage that I’m turning into a decent workshop. By next summer it’ll have a table-lift, a No-Mar tire machine, other odds & ends… and, as Spicolli said in Fast Times… ‘an awesome set of tools’. (The tools & tire machine I have... I'm waiting on the table-lift)

So like any good Goldwing gathering, there’ll be an opportunity for some wrenching to occur. If someone wants to change a tire or 2, they can have them shipped here & use the machine to change ‘em out. Same thing if you’ve got accessories you want to install, or a nagging maintenance issue to address, etc. If you’re unsure how something’s supposed to go, there’s usually at least one or 2 riders in the group who do.

Ok, back to the map… I’ve labeled or circled the popular riding & scenic destinations. While I’m sure you’re familiar with Yellowstone and the Beartooth Highway… you may not know about some of the others. I encourage you to Google them, and check them out to see if they interest you.

But while you’re doing your planning, keep the following in mind: Wyoming is the least populated state in the country. Cattle, livestock, and/or wildlife outnumber us humans 50-to 1. Lots of area, particularly to the south & east are "open range" with no fences. Seeing cattle on a roadway, while not common, certainly isn't unusual. You might even get a chuckle when you see signs like the one below, modified to read "BLACK COWS MATTER"... as hitting one does damage to you, and is money out of their pocket. Once you get out of town, you can ride for miles sometimes and never see another vehicle on the road (not counting the tourist areas). Cell service is very sparse once you get 15 miles away from any town… and NEVER allow your fuel tank to get under ¼ full.

View attachment 390464

Ok, again back to the map. Notice the lack of alternate roads to/from the various areas I've circled & highlighted. Unlike back east, where there are multiple ways to get to & from a destination… out here, ranches & mountain ranges get in the way, and they don’t spend money to build roads over them unless it’s necessary. As such, there are ONLY one or two ways to get somewhere out here: you do a loop, or go partway & backtrack the way you came.

The roads you see depicted are the only ones that I call “through routes”. Yes, there are other minor roads in the area, but they usually exist only to get to someone's ranch. Many consist of only dirt or gravel… or they’re paved roads that go for 20-30 miles, and then come to a dead end when they reach the foot of a mountain range.

For example: A riding loop from Cody, west into the Hayden Valley area of Yellowstone, north up to the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone and then back east into the Lamar Valley… up through Cooke City, down through the Chief Joseph Highway, and back south into Cody is a loop of only about 250 miles. BUT, it will take you NO LESS than 6 hours of actual riding. The speed limit once you get inside Yellowstone is only 45 mph. And if you stop to take lots of pictures, or watch the bison herds, add more time to your trip… then add even more if you stop for a meal in Cooke City. (Add 2 more hours if you skip the Chief Joseph, and head northeast up the Beartooth Highway to Red Lodge, and then head south again back to Cody)

And that route is the ONLY way to get back to Cody unless you only go partway, and backtrack the way you came. I repeat… the ONLY way.

Another example: Jenny Lake, with the jagged peaks of the Tetons in the background inside of Grand Teton Nat’l Park is one of the most photographed sites in Wyoming… and it’s only 100 miles from Cody as the bird flies. But of course, we aren’t birds. So again… riding west into Yellowstone from Cody, and then turning south on the west side of Yellowstone Lake to Grand Teton is 156 road-miles… but it will take you just over 3½ hours of pure riding (more if you stop along the way). The shortest way back to Cody is to backtrack the way you came, because… the ONLY other way back is to go southeast on US-26, then up through Wind River Canyon (a BEAUTIFUL area to ride), and then back northwest through the town of Meteetse, and up to Cody. That would make the loop a total of about 450 miles, and take at least 8½ hours of pure riding, not counting stops for meals, bathroom breaks, photo ops, etc.

So when you’re making your riding plans… plan on those routes to be a day-long affair.

Here is more info you may find helpful:

The Town: Cody, Wyoming

For those of you who aren’t familiar at all with the area, the town of Cody was named for its founder… the famous Colonel William F. "Buffalo Bill" Cody.

He passed through the area back in the 1870’s, and was so impressed with the grand scenery, the hunting opportunities, the proximity to Yellowstone National Park… and more importantly, its rich soil and the possibilities for the development of irrigation, that he returned in the mid-1890s to start a town.

The location is on the western side of an area known as the Big Horn Basin… a 60-to-70 mile wide area between a smaller mountain range to the east (the Big Horn Mountains), and the greater portion of the northern east slope of the Rockies. The altitude here in Cody is right at 5,000’ above sea level… but the elevation quickly rises as you travel east towards Yellowstone, or north towards the Beartooth range… with many of the peaks rising above 10,000’.

In late June, the weather here is almost perfect. Morning & evening temps are usually run between the high 50s to low 60s… but rise quickly to daytime highs in the high 70s to low 80s. And with no humidity to speak of… even if it gets higher than that, it’s never uncomfortable.

But again, those temps are here in town. As you begin traveling west & north, and rise in elevation… those temps begin to drop. So bring layers, and even keep that electric vest or liner handy in the saddlebag if you have one.

Another note is that the days are long here at that time of year. Sundown doesn’t occur before 9 PM, and it really doesn’t begin getting dark until 9:30 or so.

Attractions & Entertainment:

Sheridan Avenue:

View attachment 390491

Before I begin listing the big attractions, let me start with our main street… Sheridan avenue.

View attachment 390493

Shaped like a block-letter “C” that’s fell over on it’s right side, with 2 long arm extensions to the east & west… the center portion of the “C” that I've circled on the map above is our “downtown” area. With generous sidewalks, and street-side parking… it’s bustling with various souvenir shops, art & home furnishings galleries, clothing & boots shops, hotels, restaurants, cafe’s, and yes… drinking establishments… it’s a great place to take a stroll, do a bit of shopping, or just people-watch.

(Note: My house location is noted on the lower left side)

Here's is a sample of the attractions in Cody:

The Buffalo Bill Center of the West.
Museums - Buffalo Bill Center of the West

Consisting of 5 different museums, this is probably the biggest attraction in town It includes the famous Cody Firearms Museum, with one of the most extensive collections in the world. You could easily spend an entire day here exploring the history of the area, the native Americans who first inhabited this land, and many artifacts preserved for you to see.

The Cody Stampede Rodeo - Cody Nite Rodeo
Cody Stampede Rodeo: Home of the Cody Rodeo & Night Rodeo | Cody, WY

Cody is also known as the Rodeo Capital of the World... and every night during the summer, it hosts the Cody Nite Rodeo. It is the only nightly rodeo in the world. Since 1938, each night you can watch veteran & aspiring cowboys (and girls!) competing in the various events.

Cody Firearms Experience
Cody Firearms Experience – From Flintlock to Full Auto

Have you ever wanted to shoot an original 1862 Gatling Gun? An old Kentucky flintlock rifle? Or maybe an WWii era Thompson on full auto? You can shoot all of them at the Cody Firearms Experience. They have an extensive collection of black powder rifles & muskets, black powder handguns, cowboy handguns & rifles, wartime & modern era firearms, and full-auto options that you can choose from.

The Heart Mountain Interpretive Center
National Historic Landmark - Heart Mountain WWII Japanese American

Just north of town, one of the more prominent landmarks in the area rises from the surrounding landscape… Heart Mountain. And at the foot of its southeast side is the location of the former Heart Mountain WWii Japanese-American Confinement Site… one of 10 such sites where these folk were interned for the duration of the war. While I’ll not comment on the political wisdom of behind it… I will say it is a sobering place to visit, and contemplate how those who were sent there (both those interned, and the soldiers assigned there to guard them) must have felt, and what they went through.

Accommodations:

Although you won’t find any high-rise Marriotts or Hiltons here, there are MANY options for overnight & extended stays in the area.

Some of my recommendations for hotels are as follows:

The Irma

View attachment 390492

This is the one that started it all... founded by Buffalo Bill Cody himself, and named for his youngest daughter. If you want to stay in a place filled with history... with it's cherrywood bar gifted to him from Queen Victoria... this is it.

Chamberlin Inn
https://chamberlininn.com

The Chamberlin Inn is another long-time establishment here... established in 1903 by Aggie Chamberlin, who worked for Buffalo Bill at his newspaper office. A beautiful inn located in the center of town, with a nice courtyard in the back... it has a great history with notables such as Ernest Hemingway and others as its former guests.

Hampton Inn & Suites Cody
https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/codeyhx-hampton-suites-cody/

The Cody
https://www.thecody.com

Best Western Premier Ivy Inn & Suites
Hotel in Cody, WY - Best Western Premier Ivy Inn & Suites

Best Western Sunset Inn

Holiday Inn Cody-At Buffalo Bill Village
https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/cody/codwy/hoteldetail

Of course, there are plenty others... you can find them on Google, or Hotels.com

Campgrounds:

There are 4 main campgrounds in town that I’d recommend, and a few smaller ones that I wouldn’t. Additionally, there’s also the Buffalo Bill State Park… located right on the water at the reservoir about 10 miles west of town.

Cody KOA: Cody, Wyoming Campground | Cody KOA Holiday
My choice for best in the area. Located 2 miles west of town… it’s far enough away to be nice & peaceful, but close enough to be convenient to everything. Offering tent sites & cabins, this should be your first consideration.

Ponderosa Campground: Ponderosa Campground - Cody, WY - Home
Located closer to the center of town, and within walking distance of attractions & restaurants… this is the only other in-town location with tent camping available.

Absaroka Campground: index
RV-type sites only. Motorcycle campers would be ok, but no tents.

Buffalo Bluff RV Park: https://www.buffalobluffrvpark.com
This is Cody’s newest RV park. But it too does not allow tent camping.

Buffalo Bill State Park: https://wyoparks.wyo.gov/index.php/places-to-go/buffalo-bill
With campsite either on or near the water... you'll be in a beautiful setting here on the Buffalo Bill Reservoir, in a quiet & peaceful location away from town.

Dining Options:

One of the very unique things about Cody is that, while we have a few national chain fast-food places like McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy’s, and Dairy Queen… we don’t have any national chain restaurants. You won’t find Applebee’s, Olive Garden, or any of the like here.

We also don’t have any “great” culturally diverse restaurants… and by that I simply mean that this is BEEF & STEAK country. While we have a couple of different Mexican & Asian type places, a couple of pizza options, and even a gasthaus… you’re not going to find great Italian food here, or award-winning BBQ, etc. And since we’re a long way from the ocean… you may find seafood on a few menus, but you won’t find a seafood restaurant anywhere.

But what we do have are great privately owned establishments… from small little mom & pop cafes, hearty steakhouses, and even places where you can get dinner & a show together. Let me show you a few:

The Irma Hotel Dining Room: Dining | Buffalo Bill's Irma Hotel
I’m going to start off at the same place I did for hotels… back to The Irma Hotel. Their Dining Room is top notch, and serves some of the best food in town.

Cassies: https://www.cassies.com
This is probably the most popular steakhouse in town… with a wide-selection menu, and live music each night, it’s hard to go wrong here.

The Cody Cattle Company: https://www.thecodycattlecompany.com
If dinner & a floor-show is more your option.. this place will more than satisfy. Dinner is normally served buffet-style, and is followed by a country-themed musical performance that will keep you entertained. Dinner begins at 5:30… the show at 6:30… and ends at 7:30, so you’ll have time to head down the street a few blocks to attend the Cody Nite Rodeo, if desired.

Bubba’s BBQ: Best Restaurants In Cody WY | Healthy Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner | Places/Where To Eat | Bubba's Bar-B-Que
Ok, don’t expect great BBQ like you’d find back in Kansas City, Texas, or the Carolinas… but this is a great spot in town that serves good food at decent prices. They also have a nice breakfast menu for those who want to get the day started.

Granny’s: Granny's Restaurant - Home
This is the epitome of a locally owned, mom & pop, all-purpose restaurant. Nothing fancy here, but open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner… they have an all around menu of the staples that will satisfy your hunger.

Millstone Pizza Company: Millstone Pizza Company and Brewery
The closest thing we have to a what I’d call a ‘real’ Italian restaurant… it has your basic dishes, and a few different pizza options.

Gasthaus Cardi: Gasthaus Cardi
If German food is your thing, this place isn’t bad. But since I’ve never really had any authentic German meals, except for the week I spent on a motorcycle tour of the Alps a few years ago… I can’t be replied on to be an expert on the cuisine.

Of course there are many, many more dining options.. which can all be found with a simple Google search on your device.

Congrats! The longest post in the history of this forum! :D

·
Registered
2020 Tour Manual, 2018 Royal Enfield Himalayan
344 Posts
Lots of area, particularly to the south & east are "open range" with no fences. Seeing cattle on a roadway, while not common, certainly isn't unusual.
Like this....

Sky Car Vehicle Cloud Plant

And this... (not my photo)

Plant Tree Motor vehicle Triangle Line

·
Administrator
4,478 Posts

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
We came across a cow-calf pair on a section with switchbacks high up on Beartooth.

For those that don't know, it can be a bad idea to get between momma and calf if she decides you represent a danger.

Best to stop well back and wait for momma to coach the calf off the road.

Do you suppose the border will be open by then?? :mad:

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Was just browsing on the web for a better idea of the scenery there and byways offered. Found this page. Click on a map, and one can learn a lot and see some good routes as well as what ATC shows above.

wyoming scenic byways map

Im getting stocked!!!!! LOL

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I was just wondering anyone going with the wife's their. I could be flexible either way
I'm planning on mine being there (once I finally tell her about this). Also, I called a riding buddy back in NC about it. We've been looking for a meet-up ride to do once his wife's back is healed from surgery. Like me, he's already reserved a campsite and bringing his wife. She (who was in on the call) said that days she doesn't feel like riding she'll be happily enjoying the campsite. So the short answer is yes. Wives are likely in attendance.

Edited to update: Yes, the wife is definitely coming.

·
Registered
673 Posts
You apparently don't follow me much. 😂
Glen, this is exactly the ride you were hoping for. Better put this in your wish for a kitchen pass jar for next year. You only have 8 months to convince Edith she needs a good vacation next June (away from you of course).

Rick :p

·
Registered
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For you guys who are thinking of bringing your ladies who may not wish to ride on the back of you bike for various reasons... there are other options here.

For the adventurous, we have a place in town that rents 4x4 side-by-side UTVs to explore the area... and, they also have 3 of these bad boys for rent:

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

So you could both be comfortable and still somewhat have your 'knees in the breeze' while exploring the area... or maybe you've just always wanted to try one for a day. Well, here's your chance, if you reserve early enough.

To make reservations, their website is: Tread N Trails | Rentals & Outdoor Activities in Cody, WY

Additionally, there are various companies that handle Jeep rentals... and, of course, over at the airport, all of the major rental car companies have cars & vans available.

Speaking of the airport... if you lady either can't or just doesn't want to ride on the back seat to go cross-country getting here & back, they can always fly into Yellowstone Regional, which is on the east side of town. During summer they have daily connector flights between both Denver and Salt Lake City via United and Delta.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts