GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been seeing a LOT of Goldwings around here over the past week... not sure if it’s been any of you or not. But lot of riders are already taking advantage of the mild temps & dry weather to scrub the chicken strips off their new tires.

I’ve made Cody my ‘base camp’ again this summer, and I’ll be here until mid-September. Though I don’t ride every day... weather permitting, during the evenings I’ll normally be outside watching a baseball game on the outdoor tv, and cooking up something on the grill. So if any of you get out this way... especially you tent campers... feel free to stop by and say hello. I’ve got plenty of chairs, lots of firewood, and room to hang out.

EDIT:
Since I've had a couple of private inquires already, and just for clarification... you will need your own accommodations someplace. Either a hotel room or separate campsite of your own... as I have no extra beds in my rig, and the campground doesn't allow tents to be set up on my site.

I just meant that you'd have a place to hang out, watch some tv, grill some food, turn a wrench on your bike, etc if you wanted until it's time for your head to hit the pillow for the night.

3579CBB0-4E5A-4001-B83C-0B7C4DA750DB.jpg

A16B26F8-5A70-4D8D-BDC2-648713238A88.jpg

3D610276-DC22-4743-BF18-D883E1D4B0EE.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
I was suppose to head out that way in about 10 days but plans got changed so, I am now going North to Vermont. I will be out again, hopefully next year. Its a great place to ride and explore. So many places to see, and just riding there is fun.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
The Chief Joseph is AWESOME!!!

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Been seeing a LOT of Goldwings around here over the past week... not sure if it’s been any of you or not. But lot of riders are already taking advantage of the mild temps & dry weather to scrub the chicken strips off their new tires.

I’ve made Cody my ‘base camp’ again this summer, and I’ll be here until mid-September. Though I don’t ride every day... weather permitting, during the evenings I’ll normally be outside watching a baseball game on the outdoor tv, and cooking up something on the grill. So if any of you get out this way... especially you tent campers... feel free to stop by and say hello. I’ve got plenty of chairs, lots of firewood, and room to hang out.

View attachment 326549

View attachment 326551

View attachment 326553
You're killing me.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Looks like you've got retired life figured out to the max. :thumbup: I've been to Cody many times and I love the area. Enjoy your summer there.

Reactions: cycledude and WY88

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
If I can get my wife through this health crisis she is having right now I might take you up on that. I have a tent and I have never been to Yellowstone.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hi Tom
Will be touring the Black Hills & Wyoming with a few friends in late August. Planning on staying in Cody around Aug 31, will look you up, it has been a couple of years since we last met at Rockies Gold.

You have a nice set up.
Tim

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
We did some riding together in Robbinsville, NC a few years ago for the TN lunch run. Are you going to be at the Rockies Gold gathering in Sept.? Hope to see you there. Enjoy your summer.

Fred

·
Registered
584 Posts
If I can get my wife through this health crisis she is having right now I might take you up on that. I have a tent and I have never been to Yellowstone.

The last time I ever camped was in Yellowstone, in July/Aug 2009ish, DANG COLD at night. Some pretty serious elevation, when the sun goes down so does the temp. Pack accordingly.

P.S. Don't leave any food out!

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Can confirm that the Beartooth Highway is now fully open. Took a ride up there yesterday for the first time this year. Still pretty darn cold up there, and lots of snow. Temps were pushing 80 when I departed Cody at 10am... but we’re in the low 40s with high winds above the 8,500’ level along the ridge line. Saw some cross-country skiers up there... and, taking advantage of those winds, a few kite-skiers as well. All of the road construction that’s been going on near Top of the World has now been completed, which is nice... and the entire Montana portion of the Highway has been repaved with a silky-smooth ribbon of black asphalt. VERY nice!

Here’s about 30 miles of video, for anyone interested... although it’s best viewed on the YouTube website or app. Recorded in 1080p HD, set the video quality accordingly for best results. Hopefully you won’t notice my gear-selection mistakes on a few of the downhill switchbacks. Ha! Enjoy!

EDIT:

Video of the Chief Joseph Highway too, for anyone interested:

·
Registered
173 Posts
ATCguy, I like your lifestyle. Been to Cody many times and love that area, esp Chief Jos, Beartooth and the candy store in Red Lodge. Doing NE from Florida this year but I’ll meet you out there next summer with the motor home, unless plans change. I miss the west a lot.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We did some riding together in Robbinsville, NC a few years ago for the TN lunch run. Are you going to be at the Rockies Gold gathering in Sept.? Hope to see you there. Enjoy your summer.

Fred
Hey Fred...

Since I got rid of the Goldwing, I don't get over to this site as often... but yeah, I've got reservations at the KOA in Montrose in September. And from there, moving down to Monument Valley for a few days as I make my way south to Arizona for the winter. If y'all don't mind ridin' with a Beemer guy, I hope to share a few miles with ya.

See ya there! :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Traveled through Cody 2 summers ago. Nice area. Wife and I traveled to Colorado to visit relatives. Rode up to Pikes Peak while there, then passed through Cody on the way up to Yellowstone. Back across the Beartooth on way to Sturgis.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Look forward to seeing you at the gathering. Beemer's are welcome. Had one in the group last year. I'll be staying at the Montrose KOA also in one of the cabins.

Fred

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Tom how has that 1200GS been working out for you ? I’m surprised you didn’t choose a brand new 1800 instead.
That brand new spare alternator I bought from you a few years ago is still sitting in the box on my workbench.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Tom how has that 1200GS been working out for you ? I’m surprised you didn’t choose a brand new 1800 instead.
That brand new spare alternator I bought from you a few years ago is still sitting in the box on my workbench.
It's been great. Not sure if you remember, but I had a 2011 GS a few years ago while I also had my Wings... so I kinda knew what I was getting.

You know I received a spinal injury in 2016 from an auto accident... and when it became apparent I wasn't gonna be able to ride for awhile, I sold the Wing a few months later. Fast forward to last summer, I felt I could ride again if I could find something that would fit me new ergonomic situation. I found & bought an early model Goldwing to just see if I could. After a few short rides I determined my theory was was correct, and I could ride... but now to find the right bike.

Of course, a new Wing was high on my list... but, after really considering my situation, I veered aways from it. First off, I didn't want another 1,000 lb bike. Second, I didn't really need a long-distance touring bike... since my riding was going to be limited to shorter segments. And finally... with my RV life, having a bike that I have to try to keep clean & shiny isn't really practicable. Most RV parks & campgrounds are dusty & dirty with dirt roads... and trying to keep a bike clean is a full-time job.

A GS is, by definition, a dual sport bike... capable of good highway travel, yet comfortable in the dirt. Plus, there are no chrome of shiny parts on a GS. They're expected to be dirty. And finally... there are all kinds of ways to modify & tweak the ergonomics to fit almost any rider. Oh yeah... and it's about 300 lbs lighter than a Goldwing.

I'm still playing with the ergonomics... but am just about there. Got the upper body stuff about figured out (shoulders & neck)... now I'm working on the lower half (legs & seat). Rode the Chief Joseph Highway again today up to Cooke City for lunch... then continued into Yellowstone NP, and completed the loop back to Cody. 7 ½ hours, with about 6 hours of it in the saddle. Am hurting a little bit as I type this... but some Advil will take care of it once it kicks in. LOL

So anyway, that's why I ended up going with the GS. I considered other bikes that I didn't mention... but in the end, just felt this was the way to go.

2011 BMW R1200GS Triple Black
GSHelmet.jpg

2017 BMW R1200GS Rallye
IMG_1332.jpg

1 - 20 of 27 Posts