GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We want to spend some time in the Coeur'd Alene Idaho area on our way out west. We are considering doing some tent camping as well, can anyone suggest a scenic campground to hang out in for a few days of sight seeing. Any suggestions on interesting things to see and do in the area would be appreciated as well.

Thanks
GB

·
Registered
66 Posts
A good campground about 8 miles east of Coeur'd Alene on exit 22 on I90 on south side. Used to be a KOA. Sold to private company and the name is similar to KOA, can't exactly remember what it is. pool and hot tub. M/C friendly. Also a good one at the same exit but on the north side of freeway and about 1 mile further to the east. Name www.wolflodgecampground.com .Good steak restaurant just before the campsite, need reservations. We have stayed at both of above and enjoyed them.
Also google to find others.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Well I live close to Coeur d AleneI don't camp so I can't help you much. there are some great motorcycle rides if you would like.

The lake is very nice.Sand point north of about 45 mins is a nice little town. there is a nice theme park called silver wood about 10 miles north

the camp ground Canama is refering too is at teh wolf lodge exit and there is a great steak house there.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

....Just what I was looking for............

You Guys are the real deal !

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
We want to spend some time in the Coeur'd Alene Idaho area on our way out west. We are considering doing some tent camping as well, can anyone suggest a scenic campground to hang out in for a few days of sight seeing. Any suggestions on interesting things to see and do in the area would be appreciated as well.
For a nice day trip out of Coeur d'Alene (CdA) go east a few miles over 4th of July Pass on I-90 to the Kingston exit (exit 43) and follow that road along the CdA River up over Thompson Pass to Thompson Falls, Mont. Recommend a stop at the funky Spragpole cafe/bar/museum at Murray for a visit. From Thompson Falls, Mont. take hwy. 200 east through Plains and Paradise. Just after Paradise there's a road that takes you back to I-90 at St. Regis. Mont. That Conoco Travel Center is a pretty decent place for something to eat or drink. Then you can get on I-90 and head back west to CdA. Probably about 250 miles and most of it very scenic and nice riding.

Another nice ride from the CdA area is hwy 97 along Lake CdA to hwy 3 to St. Maries, Idaho and loop back. Check your map. If you like the more technical twisties along a beautiful lake shore, 97 will do it for you.

Also, that steakhouse at Wolf Lodge is disturbingly good.....it's pretty basic, nothing fancy but outstanding steaks. Could be the all-time best. Reservations definitely needed. Also, Hudson's Hamburgers downtown is an interesting little place.

Also, check out the downtown area in general. Maybe take a tour of the lake on a tour boat, or maybe even a sea plane tour. They both leave from the big CdA Resort downtown. I'm tellin' ya, this is one beautiful town.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Take a ride around Lake Coeur d'Alene. Twisty roads and great scenery.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I went up 97 a couple of weeks ago. A great ride but take care as lots of hidden drives etc.

I did not see any campgrounds around the eastern shore of the lake. I was surprised after the number of campgrounds I saw around the lakes north of Boise.

I stopped at the Carlin Bay Resorts for a break and there were cabins for rent there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts