GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Call me crazy but I'll be riding in 19 Deg F temps tomorrow on the bike. :eek:4: :eek:4: :eek:4:
Sometimes I question my sanity :shock: ...Yup, I'm insane! :roll:
OK I’m good, let’s role.

Van 8)

W

·
0 Posts
I always thought it never got below 50 degrees south of Chicago...... :eek:

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
ICEBRU said:
Its not that bad, just remember one word, layering.

Gerbing or two words: heated clothing.

after the past few days with heated clothing..... it is one of those items that I wonder why I waited so long to buy.

It was 37*F at my house this AM when I took off for work

·
Registered
931 Posts
ICEBRU said:
Its not that bad, just remember one word, layering.
Ride naked! GL1000 :twisted:

Actually my GL1000 is so cold blooded it would take 20minutes to
get off the choke

·
Registered
484 Posts
Save yourself the installation, time, and money. Screw that heated clothing stuff. Ride in the same clothes you would use for snowmobiling. Works great and you are nice and warm. Might need smaller boots than Sorels however. Dennis Kirk and Shade Tree have excellent choices in snowmobile clothing.

http://www.denniskirk.com
http://www.shadetreesnowmobile.com/

If the roads were free of salt, ice, debris, etc. I would have no problems at all riding to about -10°F in my sled clothes. I would be ok temp wise, but the bike, tires, etc. may be another story. My gut tells me it's probably just not safe to ride a bike when it's that cold. Now 20 or 30 above zero, no problem. I do that all the time.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Ridden a lot in the cold on the Wing without any incedent. The fuel milage stinks though..
The Triumph doesn't do as well.. The Pirellis get hard as rocks and slide around a bit!! Not a problem, but something to be aware of..

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
joel3078 said:
Save yourself the installation, time, and money. Screw that heated clothing stuff. Ride in the same clothes you would use for snowmobiling. Works great and you are nice and warm. Might need smaller boots than Sorels however. Dennis Kirk and Shade Tree have excellent choices in snowmobile clothing.

http://www.denniskirk.com
http://www.shadetreesnowmobile.com/

If the roads were free of salt, ice, debris, etc. I would have no problems at all riding to about -10°F in my sled clothes. I would be ok temp wise, but the bike, tires, etc. may be another story. My gut tells me it's probably just not safe to ride a bike when it's that cold. Now 20 or 30 above zero, no problem. I do that all the time.
How right you are.... I have a HJC snowmobile jacket and I have ridden with it when it was 20 deg. F. without any trouble.

My main problem here is when it gets to 35 deg. they now spread a salt solution on all the bridges and a lot of intesections... I live in a town with several bridges and they just love to flood them on the top......We got a light dusting of snow last night and I think they tried to see just how much salt they could get rid of. Just about everyones car and truck are not white regardless of what color it was when new. I think the car wash owners are the culprits :!: :!: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have Columbia 3 in 1 jacket (bugaboo), Coldwave bibs (padded in butt and knees) HJC cl-12 helmet with heated windshield, Rocky boots, Columbia gloves, and a balaclava. No need for long undies.

A couple of years ago, the salt trucks got converted over to salt brine liquid solution. We got a 1/4" snow 3 days ago and the roads and bridges are still white today with the brine mix crap. Probably works better on the roads but it slimes up the vehicles way worse than good old salt.

Supposed to hit 35-45 degrees this weekend. Time for another ride! :D You guys on the east coast are gonna get the MN cold crap in a day or so. Was -3 below zero this morning here.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
I would love to have the opportunity to ride even at that temp but the road salt demons have been out in force up here and it is just stupid to do it.

Good luck with your ride though.

·
Registered
679 Posts
weatherguessers are predicting 28 degrees for tomorrow..yeh, I know this is Florida..but it's still 28 degrees. My first long ride on my '03 was Miami to Atlanta and back in two days with 18 other riders. If I recall correctly, it got down to 11. I remember how warm it felt when the temp got up past 30. I didn't own real riding gear, but used a full face helmet and snow mobile gloves, along with some long-handled underwear (both items tough to find in South Florida). The only part of me that really got cold was my hands. Nowadays, I have hand wings along with heated grips and a heated seat, and some good riding gear. I refuse to consider heated clothes, mainly because of the limited need for them here, as well as the cost. Perhaps if I were to move north....Nah, not gonna happen.

Ride long and safe..on two wheels if the roads aren't icy.

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
16 degrees this morning...havent taken the bike out for a while. Went out and warmed the bike up and then took off to work.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
North Florida said:
Perhaps if I were to move north....Nah, not gonna happen.
I went through hurricane Andrew. I Lived in Homestead near the Air Base.

Florida is never going to be my Home again. Good luck to you and stay safe. When I say stay safe I'm also saying stay away from those damn Hurricanes.

Van

·
Registered
601 Posts
I rode to work on Monday, it was 19 degrees.
Warmed up a little through the week.
Back down to 19 on Friday, I drove the Jeep.
Reason for doing the cage thing, there are some :cus: Idots in the Big City that think they should water their yards and streets no matter what the temp.
We have been on a water restriction for some time now, and buisinesses can water on fridays, and they do.
So, not wanting to take my new Wing down on the black ice these :cus: Morons have created, I had to drive the Jeep.

Ride Safely..
Sign: "Bridges may ice during freezing weather"

8)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yellow Streak said:
Idots in the Big City that think they should water their yards and streets no matter what the temp.
That crap pisses me off. There's a spot on Northwest Hwy. just west of Inwood that gets watered down every year and then freezes over. Two years ago I saw some poor dude hit a utility pole because of it. Insane. :mad1:

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I'm with Tony, heated clothing, can't beat it. Tim

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
7 degrees when we took off for the Toys for Tots parade temp guage read - - :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts