GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Goldwing now for 500 miles. Before I had a Road King and Electra Glide and never really felt wind in my back.

With the Goldwing I feel a lot of cold air in my back. My guess is that the fairing generates so much of a vacuum that the wind is pulled thus the feeling of cold air in the back.

BTW. I like to look over the windshield so I have it in the lower position and I installed the Baker wings

Is this something that can be fixed with a different windshield or is this the norm and I better get used to the wind in my back?

·
Registered
348 Posts
After 28,000 miles, I still haven't found a solution except to make sure the liner on my jacket is pulled down and to tuck all layers into my riding pants. Next step, if it's cold enough, is the Gerbing electric liner.

·
Registered
21,098 Posts
to me it sounds more like a jacket problem, what kind of jacket r u wearing ?

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
cycledude said:
to me it sounds more like a jacket problem, what kind of jacket r u wearing ?
I never really noticed it until I went from a Shoei helmet to a Nolan helmet.
The Nolan is much shorter at the back of the neck and now I feel the breeze.
Might like it in the summertime.

Dennis

·
Registered
39 Posts
wind on neck

I find that the tall tulsa windshield works great and also helps keep the wind off of my wife. If you don't mind looking through a windshield. It took me some time to get used to looking through it. :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think you're right about the back draft.

A windshield vent will help reduce this as will a taller after market shield.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
I used to get the sensation of water running down my back between my shoulder blades. Turns out it was a precurser to backpain caused by not having a back rest. Now that I have a backrest I only feel the air up under the edge of my helmet. Have considered a neck curtain of some sort to knock that down, but it hasn't been all that bad.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: wind on neck

Great Lakes Rider said:
I find that the tall tulsa windshield works great and also helps keep the wind off of my wife. If you don't mind looking through a windshield. It took me some time to get used to looking through it. :D
I called Tulsa today

I'm 6' and my wife is 5'4", they recommended the Std. Height windshield instead of the tall one, this might be the ticket.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Get yourself a long turtleneck and tuck it in.. ;) tighten up the wait straps on your jacket. even if it doesn't come from the front, it can come from the side.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Re: wind on neck

opr said:
Great Lakes Rider said:
I called Tulsa today

I'm 6' and my wife is 5'4", they recommended the Std. Height windshield instead of the tall one, this might be the ticket.
I sat on a friend's bike with a Tulsa windshield and did not like it at all because it stuck in my face when I was mounting or dismounting the bike. Maybe that is because I put my left foot on the peg, lean forward, and swing my right leg up and over the back rest. I would not let a windshield choice force me to hop on my left foot then lean left to get my right foot directly over the driver's seat. Maybe this is just an issue with the tall version of the Tulsa windshield, or maybe not. Just another opinion.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Yep......you just need a co-rider. I insist my wife go withme when it's cold.....keeps my back warm..... 8)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Consider using polar fleece neck tube like you use for snow skiing. They are about $15 and eliminate any draft you might have around the neck.
Use a drawstring around the waist to stop any drafts from the bottom of your jacket. Even a rope around the outside of a loose jacket will make a large difference. These are ways to help tolerate a draft, but do not address how to get rid of the draft.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you guys.

I'll buy a different windshield, but there are so many choices... and prices.

So far Tulsa tall seems to be the ticket, I still need to check the others.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I don't know whether the draft is caused by a swirling vacuum or from the upright passenger seat but I have felt it before. My newest Jacket is a Fieldsheer Hydratour and the back plate armor in the jacket insulates me from that cold draft down the back.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I get a draft in the back where my neck and my 3/4 helmet meet. I have a heated collar which doesnt stop it. I found that the hood of a fleece shirt jammed into the back of my neck is about the only thing that will slow it down. I'm wondering if in spite of closing all the helmet vents in my HJC somehow cold air is moving inside the helmet causing the cold. I did open the rear vents thinking it might releave the cold air buildup, Havent decided whether it has helped or not. Anyone else have this problem :?: :)

·
Registered
883 Posts
I have two Sliks helmet liners...short one for summer, long for colder weather. You can get them here.

www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=SLIK

If you get a tall Tulsa shield, you'll learn not to hit your head, or at least you should :D

Ride Safe,

·
Registered
791 Posts
Bobb Todd said:
I think you're right about the back draft.

A windshield vent will help reduce this as will a taller after market shield.
I second this. Opening the windshield vent will reduce the turbulence at your back. Since its cold air we are talking about if you open it halfway it still will be effective and most of the vent air will go over your head.

Pete

1 - 17 of 17 Posts