GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 1800 new in 2008. Since day one, if I attempt to pull off or just rev up the engine before the engine is at its full normal running temperature, the engine will hesitate as if it is flooding or bogging down. It has 25K miles and the problem is unchanged. It starts and idles fine and runs perfect when warmed up. The tech. at my local dealership is very experiencedand said he does not what is causing it or how fix it. I don't want him just tinkering with stuff. Does anyone have any suggestions. THANKS

·
Registered
335 Posts
Welcome to the Board.:thumbup:

For the issue, I am no where near a tech expert, but I have read things similar to this that mention and talk about the ECM. If you do a search on ECMs this may help or give you some ideas..

·
Registered
17,121 Posts
Your decription seems to indicate the temperature sensor is feeding incorrect data to the Electronic Control Module or the ECM or its idle program is defective or not initiated. The bike thinks its warm already, even if its cool. You can try to initiate the idle map program, not likely to help, but so easy it is worth a try. With the bike totally cold, keep your hand off the throttle and turn key to ON. Start the engine and let it idle unmolested until the temp gague hits its normal run position and then a few minutes longer. Turn the key OFF. No need to let the fans come on, jsut make sure it hit full temp and plus a couple of minutes to be doubly sure. It "should" keep this programming unless or until re-initiated. You can go for a ride or let it cool and see if it still has the flat spots or not. Most likely needs a new temp sender.

prs

·
Registered
420 Posts
I always start the bike and don't ride it until its at the first line or above that. Never bogs down on me.:thumbup:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,588 Posts
Pull out the air filter and plug the hole in the front bottom of the airbox so no air can be sucked into the PAIR system. Reassemble it enough to take it for a ride and see if it is any better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help. The problem does'nt seem to be hurting anything. But it gets old waiting for the bike to warm up before I can start riding.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I can tell you that my 2007 was delivered WITHOUT having the ECM idle program set. Though it ran fine, it idled too fast. I did the programming as Pigeon Roost suggested and all was well.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I either created a post about this or participated on this topic before.

I had the same thing for a few weeks then never to return.

My guess I tightened a ground or something during routine maint.

Not sure if it will help .

P.s. mine was when fairly cold engine, I never drive it cold, I wait till fast idle calms down, but engine still not at operating temp yet, that is when it did it.

FREDH and some other cat were also involved with this topic maybe they will show up

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I bought my 1800 new in 2008. Since day one, if I attempt to pull off or just rev up the engine before the engine is at its full normal running temperature, the engine will hesitate as if it is flooding or bogging down. It has 25K miles and the problem is unchanged. It starts and idles fine and runs perfect when warmed up. The tech. at my local dealership is very experiencedand said he does not what is causing it or how fix it. I don't want him just tinkering with stuff. Does anyone have any suggestions. THANKS
Exactly what mine did like running out of gas for about 5- 10- seconds then never returns in the same day least not in Arizona Winter Temps.

I tightened grounds and re learned idle during routine maint.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Mine is an '05, 43K miles, and does the same thing only when cold and only the first start from a stand-still. I just had the ECU replaced and the engine temp sensor verified. No change. I will try the reset to see if it helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts